taking off the rear bumper/clam

Started by Mollydog, January 26, 2023, 14:03

Mollydog

I think I have a leaky exhaust, could be a hole or one or more of the joining brackets needs tightening

So I would like to be taking off the rear bumper, is there any diagrams of where all the nuts/bolts are located that need taking off? While at it I could do with info for the front one too

Call the midlife!

You can pretty much see them all to be honest, apart from one in either side that go up into the wings and are hidden behind the wheel arch liners.
You have to remove the rear numberplate first which can be a pain if it's been well glued on and there SHOULD be some plastic pins holding the rear bumper up to the frame or crash bar, can't remember which but if it's been off previously the chances are they won't have been put back anyway.
The light's need to be removed so be careful with the plastic pegs on the rears, they get brittle and snap easily.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Carolyn

The front is similar to the rear in that all the bolts are visible except one on each side that fastens to the underside of the wing.  Also, the headlamps don't have to be disturbed.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Mollydog

many thanks for this information, I know the rear bumper and maybe the front one too has been replaced

as 10 years ago this March my son was driving and as he came off a round-a-bout he hit an ice patch and spun in to the barriers damaging a lot on the car

The insurers were going to write it off, something we didn't want, at the time these MR2's were going for around 5 to 6K as luck would have it there wasn't any MR2 RED's for sale anywhere to replace ours, my argument with the insurers was all I want was to be in the same position with the car as I was before the accident, we were with Direct Line at the time, they were great and in the end the loss adjuster agreed to pay out for the repairs

excluding the hire car the bill for the repaired came to well over 6K.  On driving the car out of the repairers yard, the steering wasn't right so I stopped and pointed this out to them, so I had their hire car for a further 2 weeks while the had the car re tracked

Topdownman

This should get you started;

https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=12584.0

From memory there are 5 push pin type ones in the engine bay at the rear, 2 10mm bolts on each side under the rear lights, 3 push in plastic pins underneath the crash bar and a cross head/10mm head screw just under the wheel arch liner at the front on each side (note these last 2 are not to hold the bumper on but to align the panel gap). There should also be 2 screws under the number plate and 2 screw/bolts on either side underneath the bumper.

Once all are out, the bumper will still be in place so you just need to pull out each side to clear a mounting tab and then it should come off easily. Dont take it far though as you will need to disconnect the number plate lights before it comes off completely.

PS He made a mess of that didnt he!
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Ardent

I find if you use a jack under the rear engine mount and give it a few pumps. Just raises the body/arch from the wheel just gives a better view and access to the 10mms. Once out lower again.

Tags: