Fitting standard TEIN lowering springs to monosports.

Started by jvanzyl, February 5, 2023, 19:12

jvanzyl

Hi all- I'm looking at reducing the spring rate on the monosports (currently 4-6- I think anyway) and would like to go down to what it looks like they offer on their normal lowering springs which is 1.9-2.9.

Does anyone know if this is possible or they've done it before?
Cheers!

Dev

I don't think that would be a good idea even if they fit which is unknown. You would need a re-valve even if it is possible. Probably the best you can go is 3/5. The monosports are going to be stiff and probably not very streetable compared to their twin tube offerings that have more stroke.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Dev on February  6, 2023, 01:12I don't think that would be a good idea even if they fit which is unknown. You would need a re-valve even if it is possible. Probably the best you can go is 3/5. The monosports are going to be stiff and probably not very streetable compared to their twin tube offerings that have more stroke.

Thanks man - I'm thinking they are due for a service/revalving anyway as I got them in 2017, although the mileage hasn't been that high.. I'll have a look around other forums to see if anyone has done it.

Petrus

The problem is that the set up for harder springs will not let the wheel rebound sufficiently. It is the spring which ´rebounds´ the wheel down again against the damping resistance.

Dev

Quote from: jvanzyl on February  6, 2023, 09:39Thanks man - I'm thinking they are due for a service/revalving anyway as I got them in 2017, although the mileage hasn't been that high.. I'll have a look around other forums to see if anyone has done it.

Any reason in particular you think they need a rebuild. I am just curious to the longevity between rebuilds of the Mono tube suspension. Its predecessor the TEIN Monoflex was reported to be a little too stiff from a review I read long ago.
 I would call TEIN UK and speak with a TEIN service representative as they have excellent customer service and know their products very well. A lot of the times some on forums with the same product can give radically bad advice that might not be suited since these are specifically researched and tuned to the car.

Tags: