Car heater.

Started by Chilli Girl, February 14, 2023, 22:24

Chilli Girl

Basically, it doesn't seem to me very hot when on full, obviously when I stick the blower on, it does warm up but not massively hot but the fan is working.  I know of course compared to the Roadster, no other car is going to be as good but having had my Mazda 2 from new and 8 years I know I've experienced hotter. I've checked coolant, that looks ok.  Wonder if it's a clogged heater core or stuck thermostat? I turned the heater to cold on my return journey of 60 miles and expected it to turn cool eventually but seemed to still give me luke warm air so not a lot of difference!  :o  Any ideas guys and gals please.  Air-con seems to be fine though.
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Ardent

I'll go with an air lock somewhere. Not always easy to clear sadly.
System may need burping.

These heaters are toasty when operating correctly.

Joesson

@Chilli Girl

Well you just had another birthday and as one gets older one does feel the cold that little more!😉
 You did say I turned the heater to cold on my return journey of 60 miles and expected it to turn cool eventually but seemed to still give me luke warm air so not a lot of difference! 
Maybe that is something to check, I would try putting the control alternately to hot and cold, with the fan on to notice any change quicker.
It could be something as simple as a mechanical link not doing it's job.
I guess thermostats today do go wrong but the one in my 2 is coming up for 21 years and in my Fiesta daily 12 years, although I have had to change them in the distant past.
The engine does need to get hot before it starts giving heat to the interior, maybe not so very noticeably on a short journey.
Let us know what you find.

Chilli Girl

Thanks Tony. Tried this tonight, didn't feel much difference tbh. I can't seem to get cool air and when I want hot air, it's only lukewarm. I wonder if I should perhaps top up the coolant first. I did check it and it was just above the low mark so perhaps it's registering too low?  And yes, I am getting older!
Ex owners of Chilli red facelift 52 reg called Chilli, silver 55 reg called Foxy and blue pfl W reg MR-S called Sapphire. Now 2 less!

Joesson

Too little coolant could cause overheating, so unlikely to be the problem.
In the olden days the thermostat was tested by removing it, putting it into a saucepan of water and heating it up to see if the thermostat opened.
If replacing the thermostat don't forget to also replace the gasket.
I suggest draining (and catching) some coolant to avoid mess and waste before removing the thermostat. Be prepared to replace some loss with coolant after replacing.
We all should aim to get older, I believe it to be better than the alternative.

Carolyn

It does sound like a problem with a mechanical linkage.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Ardent

@Chilli Girl have we been down this path before?

Or was it a different 2, or different owner?

Might have been, air flow not coming out where expected. Ignore me.

Chilli Girl

Ha Ha - yes in 2016 when I first brought Foxy, I didnt open the air vents! :o Mazda ones are not so fancy of course ;)  Thanks for reminding me of my schoolgirl error Jase, once a friend always a friend ;D

Ardent

Not sure I want the credit for that.
Quickly edit before anyone sees it.
I was thinking about a heater matrix issue.

Dev

I had an interesting discovery with my Lexus last month. If the coolant is low the heater will not operate at a stop. It would be barely warm.
I found out on a Lexus owners forum this is a known condition where you need to fill the coolant which I did with the pink stuff and it magically fixed it.
I don't know if it's similar for newer type cars or of it is car specific but it might be a good idea to add coolant and see what it does. Good luck.

Chilli Girl

Topped up with coolant last night - no difference sadly :-\

Joesson

@Chilli Girl
So, what could be causing this lack of heat from the heater?
As posts #2 and #9 a faulty mechanical linkage is the front runner.
An air lock, a "popular" problem on our 2's , but on a Mazda?
Insufficient coolant, unlikely imo but topped up and no improvement.
Blockage in the heater matrix. I would think this unlikely as this could indicate lack of TLC in flushing and changing the coolant. But this work likely done by a Garage so perhaps still a possibility.
Barring anything peculiar to the Mazda sent up I think that leaves the thermostat at fault.

PS
Reference to the www gives:
The most common reasons a Mazda 2 heater isn't working are a broken heater blower motor, a problem with the thermostat, or a failed heater blower motor resistor.

Chilli Girl

Thanks Tony for this. ;D

Tags: