Back to square 1 (almost).

Started by TheTigerUK, February 18, 2023, 18:14

TheTigerUK

I have now been let down three times for maintenance work and parts so its time to start again.

I have all the parts I need apart from two rear break calipers, who would you recommend ? I am leaning towards TCB.
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

Ardent

Or brakes International.
Budweg calipers

Topdownman

"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Winner of the Numb bum award 2017
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

TheTigerUK

Ardent

Are brake parts and brakes International the same company?

TheTigerUK

Topdownman

Quote from: Ardent on February 18, 2023, 18:54Are brake parts and brakes International the same company?

I think they may be?
"Racing" tax disc holder (binned), Poundland air freshener, (ran out), Annoying cylinder deficiency,  (sorted),
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

Dev

Having seen remanufactured sets of calipers and the issues with them because either they have grease in them that contaminates the brake fluid or the seals are not OEM quality because when they are trying to cut costs they will be inferior and you can feel it in the pedal from my experience on a different car and some of the MR cars I have test driven. I do not know if they remachine the cores when they remanufacture them and by doing so compromising on the tolerances but I do not think they will be as good as factory originals.
 Rebuilding the caliper may not work out as well either. The best option I have always seen is buying a good used set from a wrecker that has a good return policy. 

Joesson

Around a year ago after much consideration I bought new calipers branded nk  that are a Danish Company. I paid iirc £150 for the pair with a 5 year warranty.
I did contact the company/ distributor and asked if OK to paint them, as I was renovating the fronts myself. The answer was that Imwould invalidate the warranty if I painted them. I painted the fronts silver to match the new rears.
The calioer piston was set  was set correctly to operate the rear brake and they hand brake worked first time.
I bought them on line, can't recall where. Autodoc and Buycarparts Ofer the brand but do not have them in stock at this time.

TheTigerUK

Topdownman

Quote from: TheTigerUK on February 21, 2023, 12:54They all seem much of a muchness so I think I will give Brakeparts a go, thanks.

If you are being let down by someone to fit them, I would recommend making an appointment at Mrtwos in Willenhall, he knows what he is doing and is happy to fit parts you provide.
Readers Ride

06 not V6 readers ride

TheTigerUK

I changed my mind at the last minute and went with advantageautoparts, normally I would not choose by price but having spoke to a couple of people and reading Anon post I thought bu**er it give them a go.

https://advantageautoparts.co.uk/fits-toyota-mr2-mk3-zzw30-brake-calipers-rear-l-r-1999-2002-bc218lr-1.html

pros:
  • Only £127 for the pair
    No surcharge
    I keep the ones on my car which are hopefully OEM and I can perhaps restore them at my leisure.
    At my age if I am still driving my 2 in 10 years and all I need is new calipers to be able to drive it I will be ecstatic :)

cons:
Don't know (yet !!!!)

TheTigerUK

Quote from: Topdownman on February 21, 2023, 12:58If you are being let down by someone to fit them, I would recommend making an appointment at Mrtwos in Willenhall, he knows what he is doing and is happy to fit parts you provide.

Thanks but now that my brake disc is getting warm, pad seizing on ? I need local.

Carolyn

Feeing up the pads in the carrier is easy enough.  So is lubing the sliders with Ceratec grease.  That will almost always cure a sticky pad.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

TheTigerUK

So far so good arrived in less than 48 hours after ordering.

normanh

Just tried Advanatge for the calipers online and they want £153 not £127 not sure why?

Norman

TheTigerUK

Ardent

Diff age cars? 5 or 6 speed?

normanh

The price seems to jump at checkout, clearly states £127 but rises when I go to checkout, mines a 2001 so same model no issue there. Have emailed them to findout whats happening.

Just ordered discs and pads from Halfords a much better price than Eurocarparts - Halfords £59 discs and pads for rear axle.

Norman

Ardent

normanh

Ardent

Good choice.
That protective coating holds up very well.

puma2

:)  :) Cardiff price the same at £59 does seem a good price without shopping around 8)

TheTigerUK

The seized up nearside rear caliper replaced and all seems good.

We had a problem with the "good" offside one as the M6 bolt that fits the carrier to the caliper was seized and would not come free even after heating it up and the mechanic was a little concerned that if he snapped it the car would be stranded so we left it as is for now.

I need one of those M8 bolts, Andrew spec best option ? edit: I have a couple of the M6 bolts in my spares draw so not needed.

Has a "bonus" into the cost the braking system gets flushed through and replaced with new fluid :)

Tags: