Wheel Refurbishment

Started by normanh, February 20, 2023, 17:09

normanh

I am not sure if this is the correct forum so bear with me-

I am looking for a pair of stock rear wheels for my two. The reasoning behind this is some 8 years back I had all 4 refurbed locally by a company in Maldon Essex. In recent months I have had to have 3 rim seals done on 3 corners. Now one in particular has been done 3 times and twice the bead was fully buffed back to metal. My local tyre company has recommended I look at getting the wheels refurbed on the back. Simply replacing the tyres may not be a viable solution for a number of reasons, I cant easily take off two wheels as the car is on the street. The tyres have have a couple of months of wear left.

So the obvious is find a pair of wheels with good safety beads that simply need a refurb and get this reshod in new Proxies and swop both on the cars then I have a pair available to anyone in the same position, can anyone help, Essex based here.

Norman

Carolyn

Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

paulj

It might not be just the bead, I had one cleaned up when a tyre was replaced and it helped slow the leak to manageable (quick pump every few weeks) so happy.  There was talk of older alloys becoming porous and the internet agrees! If your alloy has become porous the fix appears to be a full refurb to re coat the whole rim rather than just the front face.
Today
2000 x reg pfl - blue - as original no mods
In the late 1980's
1982 x reg Toyota Corolla Liftback Coupe (also blue)
1978 s reg Mitsubishi Celeste Coupe (yellow)

normanh

15 inch Carolyn mines a PFL. The safety beads have been well cleaned up with a wire brush in an air tool before the sealant was applied, its worked on 2 of the wheels but not the third. Hence the fact I am looking for some replacements so as its a straight swop old wheels for fully refurbed and new tyres. I dont wont to risk new tyres on the old rims incase there is an issue.

Norman

J88TEO

Front or rear ones - I have a full set, located in Sutton, Surrey.

normanh

Just Rear for the moment J88

Norman

Tags: