Factory fitted heated seats no longer working

Started by lemans, February 23, 2023, 18:46

lemans

Hi All

It's been a long time since I have frequented this forum. It's good to see that the forum is still thriving.

I still have my lovely '56 MR2 with SP240 conversion. The car is still used regularly, not every day but at least once a week all year round. I recently discovered that my factory fitted heated seats no longer work. No light on either switch and definitely no heat. I've been checking the wiring to make sure there are no obvious breaks, wear etc that could be causing the lack of power/heat. However, one obvious thing I want to check is the fuse for the heaters. However, I can't find where the heated seat fuse is. It doesn't appear to be in any of the three fuse boxes (passenger bay, frunk or engine bay.

Does anyone know where Toyota would hide a fuse for the heated seats?

Alternatively, has anyone any experience of problems with heated seats?  I did read somewhere on line that the heater elements may die after a number of years and would need replacing. They are 15+ years old so is this likely?

Any other suggestions welcome

Thanks

Daryl
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

Call the midlife!

I googled it and the first result led me back to the forum on another, similar thread where Shnazzle explains the seats piggyback off the heater/blower fuse but with a relay.
So if your blowers are still working then it would suggest either the relay or an as yet undiscovered wiring/pad issue.
60% of the time it works everytime...

shnazzle

Quote from: Call the midlife! on February 23, 2023, 19:57I googled it and the first result led me back to the forum on another, similar thread where Shnazzle explains the seats piggyback off the heater/blower fuse but with a relay.
So if your blowers are still working then it would suggest either the relay or an as yet undiscovered wiring/pad issue.
The good news is the relay can easily be bypassed by running another power wire. But you definitely need the right gauge wire or there will be a sizzle and pop :)

It's not a magic relay. Just have a look at it and replace it with a similar 12v relay. In fact, I think I ordered a few when mine went. I can have a look tomorrow and send you the info.
I'd send you it but it'd probably be cheaper and quicker to order one.

Decently confident it's that, as I had 3 MR2s with seat heating and the relay went on 2
...neutiquam erro.

lemans

Quote from: Call the midlife! on February 23, 2023, 19:57I googled it and the first result led me back to the forum on another, similar thread where Shnazzle explains the seats piggyback off the heater/blower fuse but with a relay.

Thanks. That's helpfull.  I know the heater/blower fuse is ok and the general heating is fine. I'll look for Shnazzle's post and check the relay if I can find it. My searches on Google just took me to US sites which weren't any help
Daryl
Facelift Black MR2 with red leather interior. Hardtop, rear brace, SP body brace, TRD short shift, Mongo\'s,  Dev\'s & SP Turbo - 238bp, 220lbft.

lemans

Quote from: shnazzle on February 23, 2023, 23:10The good news is the relay can easily be bypassed by running another power wire. But you definitely need the right gauge wire or there will be a sizzle and pop :)

It's not a magic relay. Just have a look at it and replace it with a similar 12v relay. In fact, I think I ordered a few when mine went. I can have a look tomorrow and send you the info.
I'd send you it but it'd probably be cheaper and quicker to order one.

Decently confident it's that, as I had 3 MR2s with seat heating and the relay went on 2

Thanks
The replacement relay sounds like a cheap check/solution. Is it easy to find/identify the correct relay?
Daryl

shnazzle

Quote from: lemans on February 24, 2023, 00:03Thanks
The replacement relay sounds like a cheap check/solution. Is it easy to find/identify the correct relay?

Yes and no. 
Part of the install instructions is to wrap the relay in some nasty sticky felt which is a pain to peel off. 
Getting access = about 2mins.
Peeling = 5mins

1) remove plastic door sill
2) remove passenger foot mat 
3) remove the plastic panel on the bottom left of the passenger footwell (there's just one "screw" that you undo with your fingers near the back)
4) in the space that is exposed, you'll see two black felt "blocks". Ziptied down I believe. One is the fuse, the other is the relay. 
5) check the fuse first. Easy to replace. 
6) cut ziptie on relay block, peel crap off relay and find suitable replacement.

You may find that the poles are slightly. Different on your replacement so you may have to crimp some different spade connectors on the wires.
If you're happy going full pikey, you can thread the wire through the hole in the pole, twist it around and tape it off (not recommended obviously) 
...neutiquam erro.

lemans

Quote from: shnazzle on February 24, 2023, 00:12Yes and no.
Part of the install instructions is to wrap the relay in some nasty sticky felt which is a pain to peel off.
Getting access = about 2mins.
Peeling = 5mins

1) remove plastic door sill
2) remove passenger foot mat
3) remove the plastic panel on the bottom left of the passenger footwell (there's just one "screw" that you undo with your fingers near the back)
4) in the space that is exposed, you'll see two black felt "blocks". Ziptied down I believe. One is the fuse, the other is the relay.
5) check the fuse first. Easy to replace.
6) cut ziptie on relay block, peel crap off relay and find suitable replacement.

You may find that the poles are slightly. Different on your replacement so you may have to crimp some different spade connectors on the wires.
If you're happy going full pikey, you can thread the wire through the hole in the pole, twist it around and tape it off (not recommended obviously)

Brilliant. Thanks.  There was me thinking it would be with all the other fuses relays in plain sight :) I'm away for a few days so won't get a chance to look at this until later next week. It's great to see this community is still as helpful as ever.
Daryl

lemans

I got around to pulling the plastics to get at the relay today. The fuse checked out ok so I got myself a replacement relay and plugged it in. Hurray, I now have working heated seats again!

Thanks for the detailed instructions Shnazzle I would never thought of looking there for a fuse/relay. 

You were right about that horrid sticky foam stuff. I assume that they put it on to give the relay some sort of protection as it's not properly fixed, although it was well wedged behind all the other cables.
Daryl

shnazzle

Huzzah. Another win for ROC :)
Enjoy your warm butt! 
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: