Changing Rear Calipers PFL 2001 Car

Started by normanh, February 27, 2023, 19:40

normanh

Looking to change the pair soon - well my mechanic son will as I am getting to long in the tooth to get under cars these days. I have ordered the following

Calipers - Advantaged sorted out the price and ordered by phone
Hoses plus banjo fittings
Slide pins- will order new bushes/rubber seals when I find out the number required
Discs and Pads
Fluid of course

Have I left out anything?

Norman

Ardent

normanh

Greases come with the kits together with the fact I already have some very high temp antiseize compound in stock - not copperslip.

Norman

Joesson

@normanh
When I changed mine I managed to shear the long fixing bolt for the pad carrier on the near side, flush with the carrier.
I was equally unsuccessful in trying to remove the broken end from the carrier. That meant I needed a replacement that I obtained from J-spec.
Replacement fixing bolts for pad carrier to caliper were of course needed.
At the time I also renovated the front calipers and replaced the caliper  fixing bolts and  decided to do the same on the rear.NB they  are different
length on  front and rear.
I used silicone grease on the slider bolts,  other lubricants such as Ceratec are also recommended.
As the brake carrier is separate to, and not supplied with, the caliper iirc lubricant will be needed. Certainly I bought and used silicone grease for replacing rears/ renovating fronts.
The Clevis pins for the, in my case, freely moving  brake cable fixings were corroded and worn  and I renewed them, again lubricant is needed.

NB
See @Thetiger UK 'S recent post :   https://www.mr2roc.org/index.php?topic=73752.msg888364#msg888364   reference to the  pad carrier to caliper fixing bolts breakability..

normanh

Thanks for that Joesson

I have already replaced one of the clevis pins with one made from stainless which I machined up so not worried about the other one. The bolts are always of a concern of course so I'll have to wait and see what happens there and if I need carrier bolts - do you know what size they are?. I have a good supply of silicone grease from my days working in Labs.

Norman

TheTigerUK

Quote from: normanh on February 28, 2023, 11:05Thanks for that Joesson

I have already replaced one of the clevis pins with one made from stainless which I machined up so not worried about the other one. The bolts are always of a concern of course so I'll have to wait and see what happens there and if I need carrier bolts - do you know what size they are?. I have a good supply of silicone grease from my days working in Labs.

Norman

The one from the carrier to the caliper is M8 x 60mm
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

normanh

normanh

What a total F*** UP ordering online with Halfords for these discs and pads - went to pick them up and they couldnt find any trace of the order and guess what the price in store was now some £80. Went home tried again and hey came up at £59.09 again order went through. The strange thing is on Friday after entering order twice I had no paperwork other than a text from my bank saying I had to enter a code to pay this amount yeah twice. Lets see if they can deliver to my address on Thursday.

Norman

normanh

On the longer slide mount is there supposed to be a gater bellows on both sides? Is the bolt a different size to the 8mm x 62mm, looks like its about 10mm on the longer side?  Just doesnt look right to me, I might be wrong though?

Otherwise the finish looks great.

Norman

normanh

Discs and pads delivered today a day later than promised but hey suprisingly they were supplied through Euro Car Parts but at £40 cheaper so well worth putting up with the later delivery.

Norman

normanh

Discs, Pads and new Calipers fitted today, absolutely no issues so far with the handbrake. Yet to take the car out until next week. Went like clockwork, I plan to run the car for about 500 miles and recheck the handbrake adjustment.

I now have a pair of PFL rear calipers that can be reconditioned were the o/s is possibly a bit sticky on the handbreak if anyone is interested together with a set of external rubber seals that I didnt need.

Norman

Tags: