If h/brake works ok leave it alone..

Started by 105e, March 16, 2023, 13:21

105e

So i wanted to remove calipers fit overhaul kit and paint them, also fit new discs pads and stainless flexys. Front done. While doing rear i noticed (as in another post on here) the pistons in overhaul kit were different, so i bought new pair of pattern calipers from ebay.. Did the rest and assembled it, now the rh side wheel locks on 3 clicks of the hand brake while the other one is still not locked on maximum clicks.If i adjust the cable tighter the rh one will bind, the movement inside the car is the same both sides/ cables. i have removed the caliper 3 times to check the pin is located in the pad correctly, done the 20 pumps etc. H/ brake was fine before i touched it. I would,nt mind but the mot is due next week and it rains every day and i dont fancy laying under the car in the wet fitting the new genuine cables i have bought ( i am rather old) and after paying £150 for them i also dont fancy paying a garage another £250 to fit then for me...,

JB21

You need to reset the calipers. To do this make sure handbrake is fully off, remove cable ends from calipers, push the pistons all the way back in, align the pad pins in the piston, start the car pump the brakes, refit the handbrake cable ends into the calipers. 

105e

That was how i started of when fitting the new calipers, but local forecast says no rain for the next hour so will try it...

JB21

Quote from: 105e on March 16, 2023, 13:50That was how i started of when fitting the new calipers, but local forecast says no rain for the next hour so will try it...

You're welcome!

105e

So thanks for suggestion,  slightly better but after readjusting the cable driver side still locks after 3 clicks but passenger side while harder to turn still dosnt lock up on all clicks..But thinking about it when i said worked before that was a year ago at last mot, but its all new now apart from h/brake cables...Perhaps i should say i jack the rear up and spin wheels by hand to see if h/brake works..

Carolyn

It can be a cable issue.  One cable having much more internal friction under load.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

JB21

Stretched cable then, just had exactly the same issue myself. Replaced with non-genuine cables at half the price.

MrChris

Another vote for non-genuine if you want to keep costs down. Always check with the likes of TCB and J-SPEC for parts but otherwise, my A.B.S. cables from Autodoc are still going strong.

TheTigerUK

After having a new rear N/S caliper fitted a couple of weeks ago I havet been unable to use the car as the disc is getting very hot when driven and the weather has been rubbish so I havent been able to have a look myself and havent been able to get a mobile mechanic out :( :( :(

Bloody 2 is a PITA but I like it :)
Say it with love, say it with flowers but never, never, say it in writing.

The idea is to die young as late as possible :)

105e

So i eventually fitted the new toyota hand brake cables, what a palaver, now have a matching hand brake both sides....

Joesson

Quote from: 105e on March 23, 2023, 15:07So i eventually fitted the new toyota hand brake cables, what a palaver, now have a matching hand brake both sides....

Matching, as in both operating as they should? That being the case a good job well done.

Tags: