Rhythmic knocking - drivers side rear wheel

Started by MrChris, March 17, 2023, 19:12

MrChris

Hot on the heels of my brake problem my 2 started knocking. Found that the rear control arm ball joint nut was not tightened enough. So I tightened it.

Now there is what can only be described as a rhythmic knocking from the drivers rear wheel. The knocking seems to be in time with the rotation of the wheel.

It doesn't happen at speed, it is only really noticeable when coasting after braking at low speeds.

Handling seems okay, but I have noted that the car seems squirrely on track days. I had always put that down to cold / wet tyres.

Ardent

Everything else torqued up correctly?

Few reports on here of similar feelings when some bits have not been tight enough. Arms, sub frame etc

MrChris

Quote from: Ardent on March 17, 2023, 22:15Everything else torqued up correctly?

Few reports on here of similar feelings when some bits have not been tight enough. Arms, sub frame etc

Good question. I think every thing is good now. I had a very noticeable clunk which I traced to the ball joint nut being loose. Would overtightening this potentially cause the issue?

I'll get back under it in the morning and check everything again. Starting to get pretty miffed with this car right now!

Carolyn

A rhythmic knock indicates something to do with rotation. I would have thought. You've had the wheels and discs on and off a few times recently, I dare say.

Have you, by any chance, cleaned the surface of the hubs where the disc sits? I ask cos a bit of rust or crud can throw the disc and wheel off true.

Also the trailing arm, (the one that goes forward from the hub to the chassis) where it attaches to the hub is notorious for needing an extra tightening after the car has run a bit. 

Don't let it piss you off.  It's only a lump of metal, I'm sure you can out-smart it! ;D
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

barchetta_ms

Possibly the brake disc dust shield rubbing?

Petrus

Also check the strut fittings. Lastly check for any play in the brake saddles.

When have you last had the wheels balanced? Although this is not the bit knocking, unbalance will ´cause´ it.
When balancing them on the car, you can possible locate the culprit better.

MrChris

Ahh the cold light of day...

Jacked it up, put it in 1st gear and then braked: Knocking.

Took the wheel off, 1st and brake: Knocking.

Check the other side... these wheel nuts seem loose... tighten up. Wheel back on the other side. Double check torque.

Test drive: knocking gone.

Slightly embarrassing, but I dare say the car is in pretty good shape now so I'm now confident to book in another track day.

Thanks all for the suggestions, advice, help as always.

Carolyn

See, you ARE smarter than the car! 

Seriously though, well done for persevering. ;)
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

MrChris

Thanks @Carolyn I appreciate it. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm abusing the little 2 pretty hard on track and it almost ended up as scrap before I took it of @shnazzle 's hands. When it's not got a component breaking it's a brilliant little thing!

shnazzle

Quote from: MrChris on March 18, 2023, 13:44Thanks @Carolyn I appreciate it. I have to keep reminding myself that I'm abusing the little 2 pretty hard on track and it almost ended up as scrap before I took it of @shnazzle 's hands. When it's not got a component breaking it's a brilliant little thing!
And you truly have no idea how much joy it brings me to see my old buddy still giving someone a lot of driving pleasure. 

It's obviously not something I expect you to care about but, hopefully it helps with thinking that it's not all in vain.

I know all car owners feel this way but, to me that specific mr2 had a personality. No matter which mr2 I drove, I always preferred mine. It picked up differently, the throttle felt different, it seemed happier at higher revs than others and felt more "connected". (until changed the wheels and ruined it).

But I'm not very happy referring to it as MrChris's car :) You're giving it the life I wanted for it

.. That's my pathetic post quota fulfilled for the year... 
...neutiquam erro.

Dev

I had something similar happen long ago after a friend and I worked on my car. We were in a hurry so we were putting back things at a fast pace in his garage. He forgot to tighten the lug nuts on a rear wheel and it was fine for the journey home but the next day I hear the same rhythmic knock. I brought it back to my garage to investigate and I was taking off the wheel I noticed the nuts loose. My friend apologized and it was not typical of him to make that error as I could have done the same. Since that time on my own car and especially if I am working on someone else's car I make it a point to have them use the torque wrench to confirm after the work is done. Trust but verify.

MrChris

Quote from: shnazzle on March 18, 2023, 14:09And you truly have no idea how much joy it brings me to see my old buddy still giving someone a lot of driving pleasure.

It's obviously not something I expect you to care about but, hopefully it helps with thinking that it's not all in vain.

I know all car owners feel this way but, to me that specific mr2 had a personality. No matter which mr2 I drove, I always preferred mine. It picked up differently, the throttle felt different, it seemed happier at higher revs than others and felt more "connected". (until changed the wheels and ruined it).

But I'm not very happy referring to it as MrChris's car :) You're giving it the life I wanted for it

.. That's my pathetic post quota fulfilled for the year...

Nah it's great to hear this, makes it more worth it. Interesting about the "personality" of this 2, I think I know what you mean with regard to the pick up and being happy at high revs, it just seems to sing compared to what I remember when compared with my previous silver 2.

Quote from: Dev on March 18, 2023, 14:33I had something similar happen long ago after a friend and I worked on my car. We were in a hurry so we were putting back things at a fast pace in his garage. He forgot to tighten the lug nuts on a rear wheel and it was fine for the journey home but the next day I hear the same rhythmic knock. I brought it back to my garage to investigate and I was taking off the wheel I noticed the nuts loose. My friend apologized and it was not typical of him to make that error as I could have done the same. Since that time on my own car and especially if I am working on someone else's car I make it a point to have them use the torque wrench to confirm after the work is done. Trust but verify.

Good to know I'm not the only one then!  :-[  I'm normally very careful with wheel torque tbh though.

shnazzle

I just realised a typo/Freudian slip. 
I saw I was not happy referring to it as MrChris's car. But I AM. 
...neutiquam erro.

Tags: