Recommend a garage to change handbrake cables in South Yorks/East Mids please?

Started by Bossworld, April 4, 2023, 12:28

Bossworld

Hi, long time no post, hope everyone is doing OK.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a garage to change the handbrake cables on a face-lift, A/C equipped car? South Yorkshire/East Midlands area.

In the process of ordering genuine Toyota cables from TCB.

Looks like the second set of cables I had fitted for me, has failed after 4 years (calipers have been replaced, reset etc.) and the handbrake is ineffective a couple of months post MOT, yet again.

I think the securing bolts nearest the caliper end will need drilling out, based on how the last ones had to be cable tied nearby to the mounting points, due to the securing bolts being rusted in place.

Or do I risk doing it myself (I've got a garage so doesn't need to be done in a day).

Thanks

Carolyn

It's so much easier if the car's on a lift.

But, if you take your time, it's well within your capability.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

Bossworld

Thanks for the quick reply Carolyn (and the vote of confidence!)

I found a YouTube video that although American/LHD, usefully also has aircon pipes. It's a different tactic as the chap fully removes the fuel tank, but I'm thinking that is probably the way forward if I have to tackle it myself.

Carolyn

Mine has air and I've dropped the tank both fully (to replace gear cables, and partially (loosen the four bolts that hold it it but don't quite take them all the way out).

That  gives adequate room to access the mounts without all the hassle of disconnecting the tank.  Any pipes in your way can be dealt with by undoing their mounts and letting them dangle.

Bossworld

Quote from: Carolyn on April  4, 2023, 14:06Mine has air and I've dropped the tank both fully (to replace gear cables, and partially (loosen the four bolts that hold it it but don't quite take them all the way out).

That  gives adequate room to access the mounts without all the hassle of disconnecting the tank.  Any pipes in your way can be dealt with by undoing their mounts and letting them dangle.

Thank you. I've taken a look under it (we're all together on holiday at the mo) and tbh I just don't fancy it. I think a set of Irwins may take off the two visible rounded bolts but I'm not sure if the bracket is included on the factory cable - there was one on the aftermarket ones.

Daft as it may sound, it's that final bit, and getting it right, that concerns me more than the fuel tank and bins etc. I'll take a pic if I remember.

Think it needs a lift, a decent set of metal drill bits and money throwing at it.

Joesson

@Bossworld
You mention above that "someone" fitted replacement cables for you and that these were secured with " cable ties".
I suggest that you can do better than that!
You say that dropping the tank is not the bit that concerns you, so what is the
" difficult" part.
I'm guessing that you've read about problems with the handbrake.
My 2002 cables were still in good order, bellows cover intact, I silicone greased the ends of the cables and fitted new calipers.
Following the " How To" on here I ended up with a functioning hand brake.

If it doesn't need to be done in a day, take your time, you will do a better job than the last person I'm sure.

Bossworld

I spent 7 hours stripping the Mini interior down in January (blower motor - in comparison a LHD car is only three bolts!)

But I'm really poor on time these days and in a proper grown up job so can't be covered in gunk for days on end anymore. My mum also lives 150 miles away so have to factor in swapping cars over for weeks (it's her daily).

It's not a slight on the person that did it as the bolts were absolutely bound in place four years back, and it may be the case that the position/routing isn't the ultimate cause of this latest handbrake issue.

But IMO the stock routing is awful so just want it as "good" as it can be.

There's possibly a case to be made for trying to get the brackets on the existing cables, in the correct place as a trial first?

I've done all the calipers/discs/pads before with help from this forum, and the reset routine when this was my car. My Stepdad did all the same stuff to get it through an MOT so it's at a point where it has to be cables again unfortunately.

This is the rusty bracket I'm referring to. I *think* it comes fitted to third party cables, albeit a different design. I'm unsure whether its on genuine ones but either way the mounting points are corroded and the bolts rounded. Probably a drill and retapping required, and that's where I want a garage recommendation  ;) failing that my stepdad thinks he'll tackle it but that'll have to be a warm day

photo upload

Joesson

A warm day always makes anything just that little bit better.

Carolyn

If you don't mind me saying so; that car is pretty crusty underneath.

I'd get it up on a lift and wire brush the hell out of it, treat the rust, prime and paint.

Bossworld

Quote from: Carolyn on April  4, 2023, 19:17If you don't mind me saying so; that car is pretty crusty underneath.

I'd get it up on a lift and wire brush the hell out of it, treat the rust, prime and paint.

No offence taken, previous owner lived in Saltburn then I had it in Whitley Bay, albeit garaged. Fully agree with you but not my pig, not my farm  ;)

Mr220Mike

Hi Joe

I hope you're well. Excel automotive on sheepbridge always get good reviews and feedback. My brother has used them for his TVR before and was happy with the work. Work colleagues have also used them with no issues and seems a pretty honest place.

Maybe worth a shout if you don't end up doing it yourself.

Mike

B_Tank88

2004 MR2 Roadster Sable/Red<br />2005 Corsa 1.2<br />2003 E46 M3 Coupe SMG

Tags: