Oil consumption (PRECATS PICS ADDED)

Started by spynish, June 7, 2005, 23:20

spynish

Hi chaps!

I'm a bit scared cause today I've checked the oil level and it's at the minimum. It has been 10000 km since last change (I know it's too much time  s:( :( s:(  ). Do you think this oil consumption is normal taking in account it's a 2000 model and it has 40000 Km? Or is the precats ghost appearing?

I'm waiting for a TRD header and so haven't gutted precats...

Thank you!

P.S: Next week I'm taking the car to the dealer. Meanwhile I'll take other car.

UPDATE: Mr. T has checked up all engine and everything is OK. It seems that with a Syntethic oil is a totally normal consumption.

markiii

40K is about right for precats to go on that age motor.

me, I'd worry.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

Yes give them an inspection asap to put your mind at ease  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

spynish

Hi again!

Checked the precats, and not very well, as I supposed...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  
I took some pics of left precat, right one couldn't be focused, but I imagine it may be similar.
Gutting tomorrow.

And zoom:

Anonymous

Get 'em out. That one is looking a bit flakey to me.

Anonymous

it looks like mine just before i put my trd header. and i did have a bit of oil consumption. (did, because my engine is not doing well at all now, it's on 3 cylinders, see story on spyderchat if you want).

Anonymous

Please excuse my ignorance but I have possible engine trouble at 40K and wondered what precat is - my car is currently with Toyota as we speak!

markiii

long answer is search, as there is an enormous amount of info on here about pre-cats.

the short answer is that they are catalytic converters (2 of them) that sit in your manifold ahead of teh main cat (hence teh name pre-cat) and their job is to ensure good emissions before teh engine (and main cat) are up to temp.

they are ceramic and have a habit of destroying engines when they break up.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Thanks - guy in the garage says the only way he can tell what the problem is, is pull the old one apart - is this correct? They are quoting me £2k for a whole new exhaust!!

markiii

if he means pull teh iold exhaust apart then yes.

Anonymous

Thanks for your help - looks like I have no choice - the power of the car is just getting worse and worse can now only do 60mph!!!

aaronjb

Quote from: "louisecwells"Thanks for your help - looks like I have no choice - the power of the car is just getting worse and worse can now only do 60mph!!!

Should probably try and keep this all in one thread, but.. just as a pointer in case you haven't seen the discussion in your thread:

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 9776#99776 m
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Thanks, will do

Anonymous

Quote from: "louisecwells"They are quoting me £2k for a whole new exhaust!!

I dunno about full exhaust and cat, but that sounds a tad steeper than the 400quid for just the last exhaust box and twin pipes.

I know the cat material is rare and expensive stuff, but that still sounds like quite a lot to me.

markiii

manifold is £600 plus and thats dealer trade price.

so if they are quoting for that, main cat will be circa £300, backbox circa £300, add dealer markup and labour, and that price could easily be reached.

it coudl be done for half that though.

markiii

so,

I reckon JapGT300 could probably sort you out with a replacement main cat for £100 ish,

back box should be fine to use teh existing one, though if you really want TTE I know someone who will be selling his soon.

manifold doesn't need replacing so just gut the pre-cats and reuse.

so far it's only cost £100

add on a couple of hundred for someone to do teh work, and your only looking at £400 top wack.

now how long your engine lasts after that is anyones guess, but it's chances are the same wether you spend teh £400 ish my way or give teh dealer 2 grand.

guess which I'd do  :-) :-) :-)

whereabouts are you located?

Jap GT300

I can sort some really good prices on engines, manifolds and cats.

Engine ~ £600
Manifold ~ £200
Cat ~ £100
Exhaust ~ £20

I can have them delivered all over the country.  I wouldn't trust Toyota to look at the car.  They gave me one back with knackered bearings and insisted that it was 100% good   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

They'll just serve you with a bill of more than your car is worth!

An independent garage should be able to do the work you require with much less expense.

Adam

Anonymous

Adam,

Thanks very much for the info. Unfortunately last night I agreed to let Toyota do the exhaust (they are goign to dismantle it and advise) but I will definitely contact you again once I have their diagnosis!!

You guys are being a great help - thanks

Louise

Anonymous

such a good price on an engine... i might be interested as mine is consuming more and more oil... and i guess you dont ship to continental europe. can i pick one up?   s:) :) s:)  

Nicolas

so.simple

Adam, do you ship to continental europe?
Carlos

ChrisHumes

I took my 52 plate '2 to toyota for its first mot check and took along a copy of this post. They said that they have never heard of such failures. I showed him the pics and said would you mind checking them for me. Cost one hours labour. I will let you's know what the outcome is. He did mention that a few engines have failed on 'loss/lack of oil'. I said is this not related to the precats failing - he said definetly not.

Anyway, I took out the extended two year warranty for £610. He mentioned that the engine is covered but the exhaust is not. Therefore because the pre-cats are classed as part of the exhaust if they fail I have to pay. BUT, he said that engine failure wasnt down to the precats, so hopefully if all goes wrong I am still covered! Does this sound correct??

markiii

dealer bullshit

mrsmr2

I asked my dealer about the extended warranty and they said that the engine would be covered if the pre-cats failed.  They weren't admitting that the pre-cats caused a problem (the usual Toyota dealer response) but they were clear that if the engine failed, it was covered.

Not that I'm so worried these days, the cats have gone.

Jason
04 Astral Black, hard top, air con, black leather, Corky\'s MSMB; FSB;  RMB; RLCB, empty exhaust manifold, cg-lock.  Warranty: new wheels @ 20k, new pads and discs @ 21k, new wheels @ 26.4k

edward.carter

Quote from: "ChrisHumes"I took my 52 plate '2 to toyota for its first mot check and took along a copy of this post. They said that they have never heard of such failures. I showed him the pics and said would you mind checking them for me. Cost one hours labour. I will let you's know what the outcome is. He did mention that a few engines have failed on 'loss/lack of oil'. I said is this not related to the precats failing - he said definetly not.

Anyway, I took out the extended two year warranty for £610. He mentioned that the engine is covered but the exhaust is not. Therefore because the pre-cats are classed as part of the exhaust if they fail I have to pay. BUT, he said that engine failure wasnt down to the precats, so hopefully if all goes wrong I am still covered! Does this sound correct??

An hours labour to check precats?!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   try 10 mins   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

I`m becoming a nervous wreck reading all this about pre-cats!

Having been the owner of a 2000 model, 43K, for all of 2 months, and having now mechanical nous at all, I am worried. I am not sure I would know where to look to see if mine were still in situ!

any recommendations of somewhere in lincs / leics / Northants that I can refer to? Also whats the options? removal, buggered engine, or .....?

cheers

Paul

Tags: