Oil consumption (PRECATS PICS ADDED)

Started by spynish, June 7, 2005, 23:20

Anonymous

Hi,

I went to Toyota yesterday and one of the precats is totally missing! I've now moved my car to a local garage to get it fixed - does anyone know the make of an after market whole exhaust system?

Anonymous

You dont need a complete system, Just a cat/decat pipe (watch MOT) and remove the precats -  make sure there is no bits of the either one left on there

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice I'll let the garage know - they were goingto try and remove all three (precats and main cat) But I am not sure the car will run like that????

Where can I get the bits required, do they have to come from Toyota?

markiii

rremove teh precats from your manifold and reuse it. Adam JapGT300 cans upply you with a replacement cat.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

You got his number?

markiii

I'll PM you
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Is PM private mail?

If so I've not got your email can you check that you used 3 'L's - thanks

Tem

Quote from: "louisecwells"Is PM private mail?

If so I've not got your email can you check that you used 3 'L's - thanks

It's private message, not mail  s8) 8) s8)

You should see "You have no new messages" on the upper area if you don't have any and something else if you do. You should have at least one from Liz, if you haven't read it already!  s8) 8) s8)

(or maybe mark just didn't PM you yet)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

No messages! ??

Tem

Quote from: "Tem"(maybe mark just didn't PM you yet)

Cause he did say he will PM you...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

OK, not to worry I found one from a breaker in Cambs, very cheap I think £120, I am so chuffed that now the work can start to get it back onthe road - yippee

Thanks to everyone for their help and advice.

Jap GT300

If there are any more problems, then i'm sure we can talk you through it.  Just don't give Toyota any more money, i hate them taking people for a ride!

Adam

ps was it fenland that supplied the CAT?

Anonymous

Has this club tried to pressure Toyota into a statement?

Chris

Quote from: "paul&esma"I am not sure I would know where to look to see if mine were still in situ!

Paul, I was in uch the same situation when i first got my 2 in march 2003, but have picked up some knowledge through reading on hear and attending the meets, so believe me when i say that checking the precats is something that you can do yourself!!   s:) :) s:)  

You have to remove the 2 02 sensors that poke through the manifold heat shield, which you can also remove to make things easier. You will then be able to see the precats through the holes.  You'll need a spark plug/o2 sensor socket (with a slit down the side of it) and about 15mins or so...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

Hi Guys,

The Saga continues.

Well the local garage took out the 2 pre cats and replaced the main cat witht he one from Fenland Breakers (who were excellent) BUT now the engine management light is on!!!  Anyone got any ideas?

Louise

Anonymous

Something to do with the O2 sensor?? Maybe it got damaged on messing with the pre-cats etc. Or maybe they've forgotten to plug it back in (as it were)?   s:? :? s:?  

Dunno really... hope it's nothing terminal.   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Hiya,

I am of the same mind. I am taking it back to Toyota Saturday to have it checked.

Thanks

ghollis_84

Hi All,

I have had real trouble with my 2, had it now for 3 months, 2 of those months were amazing what a great car. Then the trouble started.

Firstly the Cat and Pre-cat had gone, got it changed with Toyota before reading these unfortunately so i now have completely new set of both when i could have just got a new cat and gutted the pre-cat.

When i got the car back there was next to no oil left in it and didnt realise until the oil light came on so now the bottom end of the engine has gone and Toyota have qouted me £3310 to get fixed.

Does anyone know where i can get a an engine from and where i can get it fixed in the Hertfordshire area.

Thanks for your help
Red MR-S, TRD Stage 1 kit, plate V* MRS, AEM Induction Kit, TTE Springs, Pre-Cats Gutted, Corky, Custom Luggage set, BAMA, 03 side vents, TRD FSB, Gun Metal grey stock wheels, Red Calipers, Club Sticker, Clear indicators, Dev\'s

Anonymous

Hi G Hollis,

I am so sorry to hear you had the same problems as me, it's gutting isn't it.

The guys here said someone called Jap GT300 could help but I dont know how you can contact him.

I got my exhaust by filling int he form on breakers.co.uk and fenland breakers were the actual supplier, they were very good, it may be worth trying this route for your engine if you ahve trouble getting hold of GT300.

I wish you all the best.

Liz

If you want to get hold of Adam, its not a problem, just use the PM facility on here to leave him a message.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

ghollis_84

Hi Liz,

Thanx i tried to PM him a couple of days ago and had no reply from him yet, so was just wondering if anyone else new anything.

Grant
Red MR-S, TRD Stage 1 kit, plate V* MRS, AEM Induction Kit, TTE Springs, Pre-Cats Gutted, Corky, Custom Luggage set, BAMA, 03 side vents, TRD FSB, Gun Metal grey stock wheels, Red Calipers, Club Sticker, Clear indicators, Dev\'s

roger

Why don't you try to lay it on Toyota?

Surely if they had cause to replace Cats, they should have checked to see if there was any engine damage, the simplest being whether there was any oil usage.

If they did presumably it was full when it left them, so it has disappeared since changing the cats, so they didn't sort the problem properly and its their baby   s:D :D s:D  

If they didn't check the oil IMO they are at fault any way, because we all know (even MrT despite what their official line might be) that broken cats mean broken engines.

Certainly worth an argument for £3K   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

ghollis_84

Hi Roger,

They claim that the engine was burning oil and that is what caused the pre-cat to break up and block the cat.

They said the engine was fine when it left them so damage occured when i was driving it, but they didnt realise that it was burning oil, so from when it left them to two days afterwards it burnt the oil and therefore screwed the engine up.

Not sure if i quite belive it but they will not take responsability for it

Thanx

roger

They are trying it on, and probably beating you with science.

TBH I don't think anybody in the club is absolutely certain, whether broken cats kill the engine, or a broken engine kills the cats. Having said that MrT's stance has always been the engine breaks first, but I don't think (and I stand to be corrected) anybody who has gutted their cats has had an engine blow. Not conclusive, but....

However, surely if they say the cats went because of excessive oil usage shouldn't they have checked why, otherwise you would be back in again in 2 weeks with broken cats again. As it is you are back with a broken engine.

Either way they didn't fix your first problem. They are after all expected to be experts on whom you can rely (  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  yes, legally anyway), so unless you were very specific in your instructions as to what they can or cannot do, I reckon its worth a fight. What I am saying is don't take it lying down, go for it and bring Toyota into it.  Even to the small claims court!

Somebody here (a recent post) did that, and Toyota told the garage not to be such prats, and get on with helping the customer.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

ghollis_84

Yeah i see your point,

They said to me that if i keep driving the car the cats will go again, I am still driving it a present cause i have to have a car and the cats are still there. So you are right on that. Not sure how i will be able to prove it though. They seemed very helpful the first time i went there and now i am changing my mind. Only out for one thing Money.

Hopefully if i can get an engine off Adam i can get it fitted quite cheaply, just want my 2 back healthy

Tags: