“Reliable” old school vs cheapest AN fitting kit possible

Started by jvanzyl, February 20, 2024, 21:57

jvanzyl

So the options are a basic no weld barb that will be gently bashed with a hammer to create a slight angle:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153883771791?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=iKVcl9HzQIC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=fFOx8hr6Rnu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY Added to some nice cheap rubber hose rated for oil

OR

The worlds cheapest AN fitting oil drain kit that would need to be welded or an additional £10 spent on a no weld adapter
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/186246191782?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=z5UU8hlOR4u&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=fFOx8hr6Rnu&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Joesson

Bending tube without a former and particularly bending tube by  "gently bashing with a hammer" is very unlikely to produce the desired result.

jvanzyl

Quote from: Joesson on February 20, 2024, 22:43Bending tube without a former and particularly bending tube by  "gently bashing with a hammer" is very unlikely to produce the desired result.

Ok... VERY gently tapping it on the side in a vice with a metal bolt in it to effect a 10-12 degree change?

Petrus

The only way I have ever bent a pipe without undesired deformation was by filling it with watered sand and both ends closed. Then gently bent it over a thick pipe with the correct inside radius.
I would go for a proper kit or have a pipe made up to spec locally. But then this is an agricultural village with several independent garages keeping older machinery and trucks on the boil.

jvanzyl

Thanks @Petrus  I'm basically trying to overcome this:

Maybe I should just finesse the oil pan to be flatter (vertical).. when you say "proper kit" are you referring to the AN fitting kit listed or trying to find a decent quality provider and building up a kit using their stuff?

Petrus

The critical point is that you are passing pressurised HOT oil so I´d try find a local supplier and have them make it.

jvanzyl

Right, decision made. Going to make my own as per @thetyrant  thread! Will hopefully be suitable..

Tags: