Corky's breast plate..

Started by aaronjb, June 12, 2005, 09:38

aaronjb

Fitted this yesterday - well.. more like Stu (kanujunkie) fitted it actually, thanks Stu  s:) :) s:)

Wow.. it really does make a huge difference to the car! I didn't expect it to make that big a difference really, but it's like driving a different car.. Almost like putting the hard top back on, in fact.

Can't wait to get the TRD member braces on as well now and see what it's like with those as well  s:) :) s:)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quoteit really does make a huge difference to the car
Welcome to the Evangelical Church of Corky. Hard to believe such a small piece of metal can do so much. This is the first mod any owner should contemplate, after the precats are sorted out. The lower arm braces and strut tower bar also help, but you won't see this big of an improvement from them.

Anonymous

I am still waiting on mine, but hoping it makes all the difference that everyone says it does.

Anonymous

I really, really should get hold of one of these...........

aaronjb

Quote from: "John Woodward"I really, really should get hold of one of these...........

You really,really should  s:) :) s:)

For anyone that knows this route - I came back from Mark's down the A1 to the Hatfield tunnel, then turned off and cut across on the 414, down to the M25 that way.. There's a bit of road off the penultimate roundabout before the M25 (anticlockwise) there that is really bumpy (I mean, huge lumps)..

Before I had this on the car used to crash, bang and lurch violently all over the shop over that.. And now it just rode over it   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  An absolutely amazing difference..

Came down to Slough via the A355 (off the M40) as well, as that has a really really nice left-right-left combo on it, which was fantastic at that time with the Corky plate on  s:) :) s:)

Although it did make me realise.. I'm probably going to be the slowest one on track at Elvington  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  I'm sure the car had a good 15mph in it around those corners..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Anonymous

I wish mine was here big time.

Why oh why did I wait for power coating, the normal one would have done and it's paid for now, so I will just have to wait.

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"You really,really should  s:) :) s:)

I WILL!!! I have been meaning to get one for about 2 years now. Someone even offered me one and I was all ready to do the deal, but something cropped up which meant I had to spend money elsewhere, so I missed out. Gutted!

I will get one though. I now have to trawl through all the posts on this to find out how to purchase one!........

Bugger.........

Darth Paul

John's buying a mod... John's buying a mod... John's buying a mod... John's buying a mod... John's buying a mod...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Just received an update from Corky. My Breastplate has shipped. Yeehah.

(Sorry John !   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )

Anonymous

Quote from: "Darth Paul"John's buying a mod... John's buying a mod... John's buying a mod... John's buying a mod... John's buying a mod...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Yeah, its going to have to happen i'm afraid. Its all of you lot fault! I was nice and clean and innocent until I logged onto here...........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Grrrr.........  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "samhain"Just received an update from Corky. My Breastplate has shipped. Yeehah.

(Sorry John !   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  )

Sniff...................

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"Fitted this yesterday - well.. more like Stu (kanujunkie) fitted it actually, thanks Stu  s:) :) s:)

Wow.. it really does make a huge difference to the car! I didn't expect it to make that big a difference really, but it's like driving a different car.. Almost like putting the hard top back on, in fact.

Can't wait to get the TRD member braces on as well now and see what it's like with those as well  s:) :) s:)

What actual difference does the plate make? in simple terms please.  s:D :D s:D  and how much do they cost?

Anonymous

i agree, i put mine on last week, and it's simply awesome, the car just felt so much more solid, far more noticable with the roof down, and essential mod for top down driving

heathstimpson

The best mod you can do in my eyes; makes a huge difference for little cost and ease to fit  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

Quote from: "heathstimpson"ease to fit  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yeah, it was very easy to fit.. I just let Stu do it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"ease to fit  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Yeah, it was very easy to fit.. I just let Stu do it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Can it be done without ramps or a pit ?

aaronjb

Quote from: "samhain"Can it be done without ramps or a pit ?

Yep - Stu and I (well, I did help at one point  s:D :D s:D ) did it by just laying on the ground next to the car..

If your car is lowered, you'll probably need to jack it up a bit and use axle stands, but if it's stock ride height you'll be fine.

Anonymous

All i did with mine was jack it up a little, was a bit of a stretch, but i did it in the end.  Would have been easier had i not decided too do it in the rain, but my eagerness got the better of me  s:) :) s:)   Plus had a few strange looks from neighbours looking at the silly man lying in a puddle in the road  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

So how can we get hold of one of these breastplates?

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "AndyR"So how can we get hold of one of these breastplates?

Look for a group buy on Spyderchat.  Corky puts them up now and again.

Anonymous

Here's the link to order a plate:

http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19361

Looks like he's offering them in several colors, too. To answer nic's question, the standard explanation is as follows. First, lower the top and open both doors. Now squat down alongside the car and note the amount and shape of the metal that connects the front and rear wheels. You may notice that there isn't much there.

The four wheels of the Spyder flex the chassis at different rates, twisting the body much like you could flex a paper plate if you were holding it in front of you with both hands. Corkey's plate helps to bind the chassis both front-to-back and side-to-side, radically reducing the amount of flex. As a result, the driver gets much better feedback from the wheels, the car's more planted, rattles and shakes disappear, and when you take the car in for service, the tech will make remarks like, "What the hell is that??"

heathstimpson

Quote from: "southerneditor"Here's the link to order a plate:

http://www.spyderchat.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=19361

Looks like he's offering them in several colors, too. To answer nic's question, the standard explanation is as follows. First, lower the top and open both doors. Now squat down alongside the car and note the amount and shape of the metal that connects the front and rear wheels. You may notice that there isn't much there.

The four wheels of the Spyder flex the chassis at different rates, twisting the body much like you could flex a paper plate if you were holding it in front of you with both hands. Corkey's plate helps to bind the chassis both front-to-back and side-to-side, radically reducing the amount of flex. As a result, the driver gets much better feedback from the wheels, the car's more planted, rattles and shakes disappear, and when you take the car in for service, the tech will make remarks like, "What the hell is that??"
I can never understand why a massive company like Toyota don't fit a similiar design to the 2's as standard  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

QuoteI can never understand why a massive company like Toyota don't fit a similiar design to the 2's as standard
Doesn't make any sense, does it? One thing, though. It's occurred to me that chassis flex may not necessarily be a bad thing. Bracing up the car seems to enhance some of its more "squirrely" characteristics. I'm getting that from zauskycop and others on the racing circuit. Adding performance also adds to the requirement for driver skill and perhaps Toyota intentionally wanted the car to be a touch more forgiving. Or maybe they were just saving money.

Anonymous

Just put mine on (10min job, don't know what took Stu so long on Saturday   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  ), and took it out for a spin.

It was worth every penny.   s:D :D s:D  

Like southerneditor said, it gives you a lot more feel and certainly gives the car that slightly harder 'edge' it's always needed.

Anonymous

Ok then. One for Darth to laugh at.........

I have made my first tentative enquiries to Corky about obtaining a breast plate.........

I think I am turning to the "dark side"...............  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Tags: