Corky's breast plate..

Started by aaronjb, June 12, 2005, 09:38

Anonymous

Just fitted mine as well as fitting  che's member brace on friday night.  Can't tell you whats doing what but theirs a hell of a change the whole car just flows into the corner just as smoothly as the wheel through your hands. The girlfriend isn't over anomored (must check spelling on that one) with my new more agressive corning style!!

peppyuk

Just ordered myself one of these.. Hope there as good as you all say they are  s:D :D s:D
\'In a state of mental numbness\'

heathstimpson

Quote from: "peppyuk"Just ordered myself one of these.. Hope there as good as you all say they are  s:D :D s:D
Guarantee you won't be disappointed matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

LeeUK

I'm amazed, I just fitted my corky plate in 15 mins.  Thats the quicked mod ever!  The thing that really got me was 10mins of that time was consumed by me getting the socket set out my focus (which is bunggied down to the max) and getting the MR2 on the ramps.  It only took me 5 mins to remove the old and install the new!  And I didn't swear throught the whole process which is rare to say the least!  Now I guess I best drive the damn car and give an opinion....
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

edward.carter

Quote from: "LeeUK"I'm amazed, I just fitted my corky plate in 15 mins.  Thats the quicked mod ever!  The thing that really got me was 10mins of that time was consumed by me getting the socket set out my focus (which is bunggied down to the max) and getting the MR2 on the ramps.  It only took me 5 mins to remove the old and install the new!  And I didn't swear throught the whole process which is rare to say the least!  Now I guess I best drive the damn car and give an opinion....

you will love it!!   s:D :D s:D

peppyuk

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "peppyuk"Just ordered myself one of these.. Hope there as good as you all say they are  s:D :D s:D
Guarantee you won't be disappointed matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Ha! your not wrong, it arrived this morning and as the sun is out I slapped it on quick and just been for a blat in the country  s:D :D s:D
Some of the rough bumpy nasty roads that made me cringe last week are now fine, just as you would expect a modern car to be. It seems amazing that something so cheap and easy to change makes such a difference to the car as a whole. Anyone thats been thinking about doing this but hasn't yet need to pull their thum out their bum and get onto corky ASAP,

Quote from: "heathstimpson"Guarantee you won't be disappointed matey  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
\'In a state of mental numbness\'

Chris_h

Quote from: "loadswine"Here is a pic of the lmcorse plate alongside the OEM item.

I think the aluminium is 6mm thick.

That is an attractive bit of kit from the Italian company. Just looking at their website and despite some of the stuff being translated, the description of this is no.

It looks like they do two - one 'standard' one 'racing'. One seems to be like the item in the picture above - and the other seems to have less holes. At euro 65-75, they seem like good value and I fancy my chances of getting one quicker (need some chassis rigidity - and fast!)

Do you know which you have (racing vs standard)?

DO you recall what you paid in shipment and how easy they are to deal with? - with regards to making payment. I am hoping for a response from them, but the language barrier seems to be making things a weee bit
tricky!

Chris
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

Chris_h

Just a muppetry question re. breastplates..

Do they use all existing anchor points and existing bolts from the weedy bracing? - so no drilling, just a socket set job?

Thanks

C
ex 02 Black, 00 Silver, 53 Black, 03 in silver - then s2000, civic type r, mini jcw, civic type r, Alfa Brera, z4 si coupe, now m135i. Still miss the 2 and will have another one someday....

markiii

yep
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

These ones look to be a better option with the extra bracing on the TTET install where the Corky has to be removed.
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

red_leicester

Does anyone know the dimensions for the six mounting holes i.e. between centres and diameter, on the LM Corse or Corky's plate?  Also, what's the material thickness of Corky's plate that the x-bars are welded to?

The reason for this, as you might be able to guess, is that I want to ask a guy I know to make me one, so I need to know at least the hole centre dimensions.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Hope I'm not being too cheeky.

By the way, regarding the LM Corse plate: according to an email they sent to me, both of their plates have the same rigidity, but the 'racing' one is lighter, due to using "a different working process".  Shipping to the UK is about 25 Euros.   They also sell hardtops by the way.

Thanks,
Jez
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "red_leicester"Does anyone know the dimensions for the six mounting holes i.e. between centres and diameter, on the LM Corse or Corky's plate?  Also, what's the material thickness of Corky's plate that the x-bars are welded to?

The reason for this, as you might be able to guess, is that I want to ask a guy I know to make me one, so I need to know at least the hole centre dimensions.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Hope I'm not being too cheeky.

If you're going to do it yourself/have one made, you might as well bother going under the car to measure it.  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

red_leicester

It's just that if anyone knows, or has the opportunity to measure one off the car, it will be a more accurate measurement than I would get lying underneath the car with tape measure in hand !
[size=84]Jez[/size]
[size=75]2001 Red MR2[/size]

Ernie Ball

Finally put my Corky's plate and Che's member brace on today.  Was putting the C-One rear braces on when it started to pour buckets.  Right now the car is on jack stands and everything is underneath it out of the rain.

Quick question: The Spydermagazine instructions for installing the TRD member braces (which are pretty much identical to the Che/C-One combination but about twice the price) say that the car has to be laden with 240lbs of passengers.  It's not clear whether this is just for the final bolt-tightening or what.  It's also not clear whether the instruction applies to both front and rear member braces or only the rears: the author seems to imply that it's only for the rear braces.

Anyone know the answers to these questions?  Also, how important is having the car fully laden when doing the final tightening?

markiii

it realy only applies to teh rears, and even then I necver found it neccessary

teh front is easy, no wait needed.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ernie Ball

Thanks, Mark.

Now I'm having a bit of difficulty figuring out where the rear braces attach.

This picture

shows what, on our cars, is the driver's side.  The left of the picture is the front of the car and the right is the rear.  Now, what I'm having trouble with is which bolt the rear part of the brace attaches to.  The only bolt that is there is very long and already connects another brace that is visible just to the right of the yellow box in the picture.  

Am I to disconnect and reconnect that existing brace?

Anyone have any links to clearer pictures?

Ernie Ball

Had to give up on the rear member braces today as the wind and rain got the better of me.  Just as well: gave me a chance to drive the car with just the Che front and the Corky breastplate.  Wow!  Tightens everything up significantly.

In the meantime, here are some clearer pictures I found (by doing a search):

markiii

yes, remove and use the existing bolt

Anonymous

Just got around to fitting my Corky's yesterday (how many months has it been on the garage shelf?  s:oops: :oops: s:oops: )

I have to say that, having read how much more stiffness is built into the later cars at the factory, I was expecting the Corky's not to make much difference to my 2005 car.  How wrong I was!

I haven't pushed the handling (the wife was in the car yesterday evening), but the behaviour over bumps is soooooo much better.  I had become used to the car skipping, shaking, and just feeling a little 'disconnected' over bumps.  Now, with the Corky in place the car just feels so much more solid, and the ride gives the impression that the weight of the car has doubled.  Wow!

Anonymous

Hi

Just fitted my corky's and WOW what a change the whole car feels so connected now!   s:D :D s:D

kanujunkie

Quote from: "predator_etal"Just fitted my corky's and WOW what a change the whole car feels so connected now!   s:D :D s:D

front strut bar for you then chap, you think the corkies good well get one you'll see  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

edward.carter

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "predator_etal"Just fitted my corky's and WOW what a change the whole car feels so connected now!   s:D :D s:D

front strut bar for you then chap, you think the corkies good well get one you'll see  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Already taken him out in mine.... Its his next mod, isnt it wayne   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Yep   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  after i get my roof sorted!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "edward.carter"
Quote from: "kanujunkie"

Already taken him out in mine.... Its his next mod, isnt it wayne   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

thats it guys hook him on the slippery slope  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Tags: