Rear subframe welding?

Started by LozB, April 13, 2024, 23:20

LozB

Hi there

Removed manifold and heat shield today on our 2001 and found a hole in the subframe.  See photos below.  Do you reckon this would be a MOT fail? Should I get it welded?

If so does anyone know a mobile welder who can fix whilst car is in my garage in south Brum.

Ardent

Easy to say as not my money. But I would suggest replacing it.

Call the midlife!

MOT aside I wouldn't even drive that until you get a replacement, usually they rot out underneath the frame in that spot so for it to have a hole in the upper surface I'd say it was about ready to snap in two.
You CAN get them welded but I'd be surprised if there was much metal to weld to in that area now.
60% of the time it works everytime...

Carolyn

That one has rotted through at the opposite end from the usual spot (where the exhaust passes underneath the subframe).

That would indicate a thoroughly rotten item which is past saving.

Replacements (new and used) can be found.
Perry Byrnes Memorial Award 2016, 2018.  Love this club. 
https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=63866.0

J88TEO

Quote from: Ardent on April 14, 2024, 08:25Easy to say as not my money. But I would suggest replacing it.
I have both PFL and FL subframes fro sale, if interested.
Will post some photos this afternoon.

Joesson

MrChris

For what it's worth, my subframe was rotted on the opposite side (as @Carolyn mentions this is the usual place, near the exhaust). It was a bigger hole than this.

I took my subframe out, took it to a local garage and they welded a patch on for about £60.

So far it's held up for well over a year, multiple track days and one trip in to a tyre wall and more track days.

As always, your mileage may vary!

Tags: