Vibration when engine under load.

Started by Anonymous, June 18, 2005, 01:03

Anonymous

Quote from: "Noble"How can tyres become out of round?  I've never heard of this - unless you mean a bulge in the sidewall of the tyre?
Cheers.

I've had this happen on two vehicles; the most recent with Dunlop Sportmaxes on my Contour SE (AKA Mondeo). The car had out of balance symptoms after about 6 months on the tires that balancing would not correct. One tire definitely had a few mm radial runout while spinning on the balance machine and remounting didn't correct it. The tire was replaced under warranty. Problem solved.
The other was many years ago on a VW after a 3000 mile trip cross the US. Car developed the hippity hops and a tire dealer showed me that all four tires were somewhat out of round. He put the wheels on a lathe contraption that had a rotating cutter blade that nicely shaved off the high spots on the tires and solved the problem.
I havn't the foggiest idea what can cause this, but it apparently does happen.
Good luck!
Bruce

Anonymous

Well.. that sounds exactlly like what hapened to me in another car of mine.
The problem was a busted engine suport.(the piece that holds the engine to the chassis) Have it checked, cause it seems to me that it's the exact same thing.

Tags: