3 into 2 WILL go!

Started by Rogue, June 18, 2005, 11:21

Rogue

That's a 3SGTE into an MR2 Roadster of course...

Work's now progressing quite rapidly, and is so far entirely repeatable!

s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Rogue

philster_d

Yummy

kanujunkie

nice  s8) 8) s8)  

how long till it's ready? will it be done for JAE?? what sort of costs are there? Details man, details!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Rogue

Quote from: "kanujunkie"how long till it's ready? will it be done for JAE?? what sort of costs are there? Details man, details!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

All in good time... This is just the teaser...

s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Rogue

Chris

to save anyone else that didn't know the same search that i just did, this is the 200+ bhp engine from the celica gt-4...

Could be tasty! Now you just gotta make it cheaper that a turbo conversion, and you could have a winner   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Rogue

Quote from: "Chris"to save anyone else that didn't know the same search that i just did, this is the 200+ bhp engine from the celica gt-4...

Doh! Sorry, thought you guys would have a bit more idea of your MR2 heritage... The 3SGTE is the 2 litre twin cam 16v turbocharged engine from the mk2 MR2 (and equivalent Celica GT4 models). This particular engine is the 241BHP incarnation from a late 1998 MR2 turbo. Inital power target for the car is 300BHP at the wheels, which should prove no great task with the technology we're using.

Quote from: "Chris"Could be tasty! Now you just gotta make it cheaper than a turbo conversion, and you could have a winner   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Never, ever gonna happen I'm afraid. The 3SGTE transplant is always going to work out more expensive. But then performace-wise it'll be in a league of it's own - the 3SGTE has been tuned to in excess of 700BHP; levels you'll never see from the 1ZZ-FE!

Rogue

Ernie Ball

Quote from: "Rogue"the 3SGTE has been tuned to in excess of 700BHP; levels you'll never see from the 1ZZ-FE!

Dear god. That's insane.

I take it this is the same '2 that has the 19" wheels?

Chris

I did notice the mr2 turbo a little further down the page in the list of installed applications but didn't mention it in the post for some reason!!   s:? :? s:?  

Others have well have known, but i don't know much about the previous '2s technically - hey i'm just an smt driver!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

nice, tis getting there   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

Quote from: "Rogue"3SGTE has been tuned to in excess of 700BHP

Just for the record, those have been tuned into 4-digit numbers  s;) ;) s;)

Seems like you're gonna have a nice ride indeed  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

SteveJ

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"
Quote from: "Rogue"the 3SGTE has been tuned to in excess of 700BHP; levels you'll never see from the 1ZZ-FE!

Dear god. That's insane.

I take it this is the same '2 that has the 19" wheels?

Indeed it is  s8) 8) s8)

BenF

Quote from: "Rogue"That's a 3SGTE into an MR2 Roadster of course...

Work's now progressing quite rapidly, and is so far entirely repeatable!

s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Rogue

Nice work! Given your experience of doing NA to Turbo conversions on Mk2 I'm sure it will be a very nice job.

I'm just battling some CELs at the moment with the PE turbo kit on mine - a proven 3S-GTE conversion would be seriously tempting.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

BenF

Quote from: "Chris"to save anyone else that didn't know the same search that i just did, this is the 200+ bhp engine from the celica gt-4...

....and the MK2 MR2 Turbo!

The engine it has to be said is a gem, and has great headroom for tuning. You can get a reliable 270bhp from a early engine spending under 1k in parts (on a Mk2) and 300bhp from a later Rev3-on engine that I assume Patrick has put in this one.

I have to say though that having driven my 220bhp PE turbo'd Roadster along backroads I know well earlier today I've decided that it is now definitely 'quick enough'. For comparision, it has the same power/weight ratio as a 290bhp Mk2 Turbo, similar to my old Mk2 Turbo that was 280-308bhp depending on boost levels.

I did get the chance to drive my Roadster and my old Mk2 last weekend back to back (the new owner of my Mk2 is a friend) and the Mk2 Turbo has a little more lag than the PE Turbo'd car, but the engine is a lot more civilised - and as it was designed to be turbo'd from the start, it will also be utterly reliable - I've had a few issues to resolve with the PE turbo conversion which have kept me on my toes  s:) :) s:)
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

Anonymous

That's awsome!!  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I want!  s:P :P s:P  

I suppose the insurance might go up a tad?  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

philster_d

hehe I still have my low miles rev 4 turbo who wants to car mould with me?  s:) :) s:)

Jap GT300

Rogue,

"Could" this be offered in a kit form (engine mounts, loom extention etc..)?

Then buyers could choose and fit their own engine?

Thanks Adam

Rogue

Quote from: "Jap GT300"Rogue,

"Could" this be offered in a kit form (engine mounts, loom extention etc..)?

Then buyers could choose and fit their own engine?

Thanks Adam

Hi Adam,

At this stage it's unlikely - that's a fair amount of custom work involved, and the chassis itself needs a little modification... I'll post more details once the work is complete and we have the big picture.

Rogue

Rogue

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"I take it this is the same '2 that has the 19" wheels?

Well I tried it with 15" wheels:

But I much prefer it with the 19's:

(Congratulates self on wheel choice)   s8) 8) s8)  

Rogue

kanujunkie

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  holy mother of God  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

they're huge
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

and is it me or is that tread pattern on the tyres going the wrong way round?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

Even I like those wheels..........  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Rogue

Quote from: "kanujunkie"and is it me or is that tread pattern on the tyres going the wrong way round?

Good spot!   s:) :) s:)   We knew we'd picked up the wrong one but we'd just fitted the driveshafts and wanted to test-fit a wheel so it didn't really matter...

Rogue

Anonymous

those wheels are niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice

Jap GT300

So how does it drive?  You can't tell me you've still not taken it out!

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Jap GT300"So how does it drive?  You can't tell me you've still not taken it out!

doesn't look in any shape yet, the supsension looks incomplete
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: