Not being able to log on.....

Started by Anonymous, August 14, 2003, 09:14

Anonymous

G'day,

Something weird is going on. I can log on to here at work absolutely no problem at all. All hunky dorey.

But if I try and log on at home, it just doesn't have it. I type in the same username and password as I do here (don't ask, the "log me in automatically doesn't and hasn't worked EVER at home. And not just on this site, but loads of others too. I know it is a cookie problem but they ARE enabled, so god knows what is going on!). I try to log in the first time and then it goes traight back to the forum list lage with me NOT being logged in, with no warning or reason for why I couldn't log on (i.e. The password you entered was incorrect blah blah blah.....). I then try again and it is SOOOO hit and miss. When I DO eventually get logged in, and try and view messages since last post, it ALWAYS tells me that there is nothing that meets my criteria when I know full well there WILL be cos it will have been about 4-5 hours since I logged on at work and there is BOUND to be messages posted in that time. And its not just one occasion, but all the time!!

HELP!!! I am completely IT illiterate here, so can anyone shed any light on this and help me be able to log on at home and read/post? Pretty please?

Cheers peeps!

Tem

Quote from: "John Woodward"I know it is a cookie problem but they ARE enabled, so god knows what is going on!

Just a wild guess, but check your home computers time and date.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

mph

Quote from: "Tem"
Quote from: "John Woodward"I know it is a cookie problem but they ARE enabled, so god knows what is going on!

Just a wild guess, but check your home computers time and date.
Good thought - while you're there, check ya timezone too.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Hmmmm......Ok. Will do, but I think they are Ok. Didn't think that would have too much of an effect, but lot know better than me!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"G'day,

Something weird is going on. I can log on to here at work absolutely no problem at all. All hunky dorey.

But if I try and log on at home, it just doesn't have it. I type in the same username and password as I do here (don't ask, the "log me in automatically doesn't and hasn't worked EVER at home. And not just on this site, but loads of others too. I know it is a cookie problem but they ARE enabled, so god knows what is going on!). I try to log in the first time and then it goes traight back to the forum list lage with me NOT being logged in, with no warning or reason for why I couldn't log on (i.e. The password you entered was incorrect blah blah blah.....). I then try again and it is SOOOO hit and miss. When I DO eventually get logged in, and try and view messages since last post, it ALWAYS tells me that there is nothing that meets my criteria when I know full well there WILL be cos it will have been about 4-5 hours since I logged on at work and there is BOUND to be messages posted in that time. And its not just one occasion, but all the time!!

HELP!!! I am completely IT illiterate here, so can anyone shed any light on this and help me be able to log on at home and read/post? Pretty please?

Cheers peeps!

AOL does that to me, if that's the same try using IE to login

mph

Quote from: "bigun007"AOL does that to me, if that's the same try using IE to login
s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  AOL is evil and should be destroyed. It causes so many problems and it's worse than a virus trying to remove it from a system.
/rant
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Nope, I already use IE. Not AOL. Like you have said, AOL......Devils invention.......

Will try the clock thing, but I don't know if that is it.....

Tem

Quote from: "John Woodward"Didn't think that would have too much of an effect, but lot know better than me!!!

Well...if you get a cookie that's valid from 14th of August 2003 and your computer thinks it's 1.1.1970, you can guess the rest  s;) ;) s;)  And yes, even an hour is enough to stop it from working...

If the forum accepts your password, but "forgets" it right after it, it HAS to be a cookie problem. And if you're sure that your browser (and firewall and everything) accepts them, I can only think of this time/date-issue  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Ok Tem, will try it. See what happens and let you know. Will have to get home first though!

I dont know whether I made it clear in the first mail or not though, but I CAN actually log on, but it usually takes 2 goes and then when I am in, it doesn't recognise that there have been any more posts when I click on View since last login. Thats the bit that is confusing me.

Will give the clock thing a look though and then come screaming back to you lot if I can't figure it out!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

If you can acutally log in but it takes a couple of tries, it could be a caching problem - once you have logged in for the first time, hold down CTRL and press F5, thats shoudl force the page to load the latest version for you.... might be worth a try....?

Anonymous

Hmmmm....Ok. Will give that a go too. See what happens.

Its weird that it is only happening at work......  s:? :? s:?

Tem

Quote from: "John Woodward"I CAN actually log on, but it usually takes 2 goes and then when I am in, it doesn't recognise that there have been any more posts when I click on View since last login.

Oh...ok...it's not the clock thingie then. It wouldn't keep you in at all, not even after the 2nd or zillionth time  s:) :) s:)

That no-new-posts is actually normal if you have to log in twice...since it shows posts that are newer than the login you made 10 seconds ago..

Anonymous

Hmmmmm.....Ok. So I have tried everything that has been suggested on here by you guys and it has had no effect. It seems pretty random that I have to try and log on twice and even then, it STILL says that there are no new posts blah blah blah......its VERY annoying.

I have noticed though that even though my computer clock is correct (I made sure), when I load the website and don't log in, it gives a completely different time on the site sometimes. Why is the site not picking up the correct time from the computer or the web?

I take it this may be the problem? Any ideas?

Still computer illiterate.......  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

John,

When you first try to log in and it "fails" it sounds like you have actually logged in. Have you tried foing into one of the forum areas and tried to post? Do you see any new message icons?

It does sound a bit like your pages are not being updated rather than you not being logged in.

Under Tools -> Internet Options -> General -> Settings check that you have "Check for new versions of stored pages" set to "Every visit of the page" to ensure you get the latest updates. I dont think this is the problem, but it may stop cached pages being taken.

You may want to try puting  m http://www.mr2roc.net m  in your trusted sites and setting security for trusted sites (Via the custom button) to low. BUT if thhis does not work, the return the security level back to its default.

Anonymous

Ok, thanks Victor. Will try your suggestions and see what it comes up with. Not at home yet though, so will post about it later.

Cheers though!  s:D :D s:D

Tem

Actually, the IE caching is more or less random, no matter what settings you use  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  Sounds more like a problem with that, since you actually can log in.

Could be a proxy acting up as well, but try to play with the cache settings first. And after logging in, if it doesn't show you're logged in, just refresh the page (was it ctrl+f5 on IE that does a "good" refresh?).

Or you could switch to Opera and never have these problems again  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Heh heh.....I did download Opera a while ago, but I couldn't get it to load anything for some reason. Don't know why as I have already said I am computer illiterate! But it DID look good and I have only ever heard good things about it, so its a shame I couldn't get it to work.   s:( :( s:(  

I will go home tonight and try all the suggestions again and see what happens.......  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

G'day!

Just tried what you said Victor and it is set as you said. So don't know if that is the problem.

I just logged in (on the second attempt as usual) and I saw that it said that I last logged in at 4.45pm, which was at work before I left, so it obviously knows who I am, but doesn't and is recognising that I am logging in, but it doesn't seem to be picking up any new posts for some reason.

This is REALLY strange now. It just started doing it about a week ago and I changed nothing and touched nothing. Annoying me now.........
  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Ok, I have just noticed something even weirder. The time at the top of the page says now that it is 4.54pm!!!! Which is only 10 mins after I last logged on at home. The ACTUAL time at home is now 6.00pm exactly!!!!

What is going on????!!!!! Its almost as if it is recognising that I logged on at work and the browser is using the time from then to continue and not the computer clock, which is the actual time. No wonder its not recognising any new posts.

Is this something wrong with my browser and if so, why is it doing it and is there anything I can do to change this?

HELP!!!!!

Tem

About the time...check your profile for time zone, maybe that's off..?

About the browser... m http://www.opera.com m   s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

Tem, I already checked the time zone on the clock on the computer and that is fine. If you mean something else, could you explain?

Its as if the browser isn't picking up the correct time from either the computer or online. And the time on the site doesn't seem to have moved on when I log in about 10 mins later again. This is all a bit weird for me and I have no idea.........

As for Opera, I took it off the computer a while ago when I had a clear of a few things to try and speed my computer up as I wasn't using it. I am not sure I can be bothered to go through all that again........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:D :D s:D

Tem

I didn't mean the time zone on your computer, but the one on your user profile on this forum. Click on the:
on top of the page to check it.

Anonymous

Hi Tem,

Just looked at the Time Zone and it says GMT, as I suspect is should be.

Are we IN GMT at the moment or is British Summertime GMT+1?

Anonymous

BST is GMT+1 which is where we're at now.

Anonymous

Ahhhh....could be my problem, although I have no problems logging on at work and seeing the posts since last visit. The profile shouldn't change between computers should it.........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:? :? s:?

Tags: