Not being able to log on.....

Started by Anonymous, August 14, 2003, 09:14

Anonymous

John, here is how you fix your problem...

1) Unplug your computer
2) Put it back in its box
3) Take it back to the shop and ask for your money back, saying that you shouldnt be allowed a PC at home
4) Problem solved!

ONLY JOKING MATE!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"ONLY JOKING MATE!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Reminds me of this old joke  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Actual dialogue of a former WordPerfect Customer Support employee:

"Ridge Hall computer assistant; may I help you?"
"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."
"What sort of trouble?"
"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."
"Went away?"
"They disappeared."
"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"
"Nothing."
"Nothing?"
"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."
"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"
"How do I tell?"
"Can you see the C: prompt on the screen?"
"What's a sea-prompt?"
"Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"
"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type."
"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"
"What's a monitor?"
"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"
"I don't know."
"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"
"Yes, I think so."
"Great. Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."
".......Yes, it is."
"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"
"No."
"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."
"....... Okay, here it is."
"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."
"I can't reach."
"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"
"No."
"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"
"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle - it's because it's dark."
"Dark?"
"Yes -the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."
"Well, turn on the office light then."
"I can't."
"No? Why not?"
"Because there's a power outage."
"A power... A power outage? Aha, Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"
"Well, yes, I keep them in the closet."
"Good. Go get them, and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."
"Really? Is it that bad?"
"Yes, I'm afraid it is."
"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"
"Tell them you're too fucking stupid to own a computer."

Sorry about lil drift...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

yeah, heard that befoer... well funny....

TEM, whats with your AVITAR! bit big mate! LOL!

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"TEM, whats with your AVITAR! bit big mate! LOL!

Something weird...it's 50x50 pixels on my screen...the way it was supposed to be  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

nope - 450x301 (and its an S2000!!!!!)

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Ok, I have just noticed something even weirder. The time at the top of the page says now that it is 4.54pm!!!! Which is only 10 mins after I last logged on at home. The ACTUAL time at home is now 6.00pm exactly!!!!

The time at the top of the forum index ("The time now") is generated by the server every time the page is served, and isn't a function of your browser. Since we know the time on the server isn't wrong (if it were, I'd have a whole heap of much bigger problems   s:x :x s:x  ), then this proves that your browser (or something at your ISP) is caching the page, ie showing you an old, out-of-date version.

This shouldn't happen, because everything on the site (apart from graphics) is sent with a header to indicate immediate expiry, thereby stopping any caching. So something in your browser, or ISP, is broken   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Just looked at the Time Zone and it says GMT, as I suspect is should be.

The timezone setting in your profile is simply used by the server to calculate the correct time to display where required. All data and "calculations" are actually stored/done in GMT, so the timezone setting has no effect on the actual operation of anything, only display.

Anonymous

Shit shit shit!!! What the HELL is it then? This is really beginning to piss me off now. I have done all the suggestions here (except for repacking it Kris  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) and nothing has changes. I have tried refreshing the page as suggested with Ctr+F5 and that has had no effect either, so can anyone point me in the direction of any suggestions with caches and so on, cos 1)I am still not sure what they are or how they work and 2) what to do with them or check up on them to see if the browser is knackered or nor. What is frustrating even more is that I did absolutely NOTHING to the computer and it just started doing this, for what seems no reason.

Any more suggestions?   s:? :? s:?  

Grrrrrrr  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Tools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings and untick "use a proxy server".  Do the same for your dialup connection, select it in the same connecitons tab, and click the settings button.  Untick the proxy box there too.

If that doesn't work, and it's a caching issue, then there's little you can do other than change your ISP.

Anonymous

Quote from: "phil4"If that doesn't work, and it's a caching issue, then there's little you can do other than change your ISP.

That still sounds hasty... i dont suppose its a laptop that you could bring to a meet is it? Im sure its just some silly setting somewhere... alternativly if you have windows XP and are signed up to MSN messenger i could remote into your PC and take a look?

Anonymous

phil4 wrote:
QuoteTools, Internet Options, Connections, LAN Settings and untick "use a proxy server". Do the same for your dialup connection, select it in the same connecitons tab, and click the settings button. Untick the proxy box there too.

If that doesn't work, and it's a caching issue, then there's little you can do other than change your ISP.

Phil, I am on Braodband and not dialup and not sure what you have said is applicable and I was tld by the ISP and the installer not to touch anything once up and running (plus, as already previously stated, I am a complete IT plod!), I am not sure I want to do anything like this, but I will certainly have a look and see what is in these things. See if anything resembles what you have said....

krisclarkuk wrote:
QuoteThat still sounds hasty... i dont suppose its a laptop that you could bring to a meet is it? Im sure its just some silly setting somewhere... alternativly if you have windows XP and are signed up to MSN messenger i could remote into your PC and take a look?

Sorry Kris, not a laptop and not XP i'm afraid. Not signed up to Messenger either. I am with you and Phil, I think it IS some stupid setting somewhere, but where, I don't know and I also want to know why the sudden change when nothing was done by me!!!

Sigh.............  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Are you actually logging out when  you leave the site? I know i NEVER log out and never have to sign back in either....?

Anonymous

Yeah, I do log out cos I look at the site at two different sites. One at home and the other at work. I was always told by a mate who works for Microsoft that I should log out of everything cos it leaves an open link to the outside worl which hackers can connect very easily to.

I get the feeling you are going to tell me different now.........  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

In this exact context, the guy at Microsoft was talking rubbish.  You don't need click the logout button at the top of this page (under usergroups).  It won't leave you vulnerable to hackers, and it won't confuse things if you use more than one PC.

Anonymous

Hmmmm......Ok. I will not bother logging out tonight and see what happens when I get home.............  s:? :? s:?

Tem

Never trust a M$ employee  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

Heh heh......he's not an MS employee as such. Sorry, that is my fault. What I should have said was that he works for the National Grid as a Microsoft consultant in their email team. He is a fully qualified MS engineer and is SERIOUSLY genned up on all things Microsoft. Got me out of many a scrape with my computer......

As for the logging on. Its still happening. I tried not logging out here at work, as Kris said and it STILL didn't recognise me when I got home. Two attempts to log in, as usual and then said there were no mathces meeting my criteria when I tried to view posts since last visit.

I'm beginning to get bored with this now and it looks like I am going to have to resign myself to not being able to log on at home.   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:   It doesn't do it with any other site that I have to log on to......

Do you think it maybe its cos I have it as my home page? Just a wild guess......

Tem

Quote from: "John Woodward"Do you think it maybe its cos I have it as my home page? Just a wild guess......

Shouldn't make any difference...

Give Opera a go, it solves 99% of IE's problems  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

I tried!!!! It didn't work!!! Couldn't get it to connect to the web for some reason. And I tried everything within my "limited" knowledge to get it working. Nowt!

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"I tried!!!! It didn't work!!! Couldn't get it to connect to the web for some reason. And I tried everything within my "limited" knowledge to get it working. Nowt!

That pretty much implies that there's a proxy server between you and the rest of the Internet, and worse, it's compulsory. This would explain the caching you're seeing.

Who's the ISP?

Anonymous

pmdye wrote:
QuoteWho's the ISP?

ntl broadband. I have NEVER had problems with them before.

Does this point any light on anything?

Anonymous

Ok, I have just noticed something new and forget what I have said about the times at the top of the screen before. I think this is where the confusion is happening....

EVERY time I log on now (STILL on the second attempt), the clock at the top left hand corner says the correct time, but also, it says the last time I logged on is THE SAME TIME AS IT ACTUALLY IS AT THE TIME OF LOPGGING ON!!!! i.e. both times are the same. So, it is telling me that the last time I logged on is NOW!

Why isn't it recording the last time I logged on? Is this something to do with the security settings or something?

God, this is REALLY beggining to annoy me now!!!  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Tem

If you keep a 5 minute pause between the 1st and 2nd loggings, does it still show the last login time being the same as the 2nd logtime?

Sounds like it logs you in on the first time and obviously stores that time. If you login right after that, isn't it true that your last login was at the same time..?

Anonymous

I will try that and see what happens. I know what you are saying Tem, but I can't AVOID logging on pretty much instantly, cos it won't let me log on first go!!!

I'll let you know........

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"I will try that and see what happens. I know what you are saying Tem, but I can't AVOID logging on pretty much instantly, cos it won't let me log on first go!!!

I'll let you know........

So what does it do? does it say "your not logged on cos your password was incorrect" or anything like that?

Try this...

Login for the FIRST time then go to: Tools - Internet Options - "Tempory internet files" - Delete Files. then once that has done, click ok to close the dialog box, then press CTRL+F5 to reload the page and see if it then thinkgs your logged in or not.

Tags: