GUESS WHO... (C2 Power Turbo kit)

Started by spynish, June 22, 2005, 13:48

Tem

Quote from: "spynish"Hi again guys!

What do you think of installing some fan like this to take out the maximum heat possible from the engine bay? (imagine here in Spain in August, it's easy to make a barbecue in the rear hood   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ).
I've seen this suction fan, which is a big one and has a great capacity (4000m3/h).

http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=134385S&a=i

Or would be better for cooling air going inside engine with two fans in the rear of the IC, like Hass has?

Any idea/experience?

Thanks

Joe Schmoe (SC) did that...basically you only need when you're sitting still. Once you start moving you get more fresh air in the engine bay than ever with a fan  s8) 8) s8)  JMHO, but it's not necessary...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

spit

....but it does get pretty hot out there in the summer months!

Spyni, if you want anything from a UK source let me know - I can't hold her off any longer so a September visit is looking likely.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tem

Quote from: "spit"....but it does get pretty hot out there in the summer months!

Yeah, but the fan can't create cool air in the summer, it's just circulating the hot air  s;) ;) s;)  Just like when your car is moving...

spit

Quote from: "Tem"Yeah, but the fan can't create cool air in the summer, it's just circulating the hot air  s;) ;) s;)  Just like when your car is moving...
V true, I was just thinking of the poor guy's car when he's crawling in Spanish city traffic.

philster_d

But on the Inter Cooler it will be drawing away heat from the core ?

spynish

Quote from: "spit"....but it does get pretty hot out there in the summer months!

Spyni, if you want anything from a UK source let me know - I can't hold her off any longer so a September visit is looking likely.  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Ste

Hi Ste,

If you're coming by car, it's a pity I don't have any pennie left to buy a hardtop (you could brought it on your 2   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  )

See you here, mate!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Joe Schmoe

Quote from: "Tem"Joe Schmoe (SC) did that
Beanie did.  I don't usually do unnecessary things to my car   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Tem

Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "Tem"Yeah, but the fan can't create cool air in the summer, it's just circulating the hot air  s;) ;) s;)  Just like when your car is moving...
V true, I was just thinking of the poor guy's car when he's crawling in Spanish city traffic.

True...but...well...I don't think anything actually minds if they get a little hot. Surely you'll lose some power, but I'm sure there's still more than plenty to keep up with the traffic. And I'm sure he won't be pushing the car in traffic anyway, so the turbo shouldn't make a difference there.

Quote from: "Joe Schmoe"
Quote from: "Tem"Joe Schmoe (SC) did that
Beanie did.  I don't usually do unnecessary things to my car   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Oops, sorry!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

spynish

Hi mates!

Time for an update. I know it has taken a long time but everything arrives...

Well, first of all just want to comment a mistake we did in order you don't repeat it   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  !

We take out the rear exhaust heat isolation (this metallic piece) because we thought air would pass through better... Now we know that's not a good idea at all because the exhaust gets very high temps, as you know:

Melted bumper:

Melted and holed number plate "thing":

And the cables are suffering also:

So, as my downpipe and cat has been replace during these days, we have profit to fit this heat protection again but we have cut the top part to let the air circulate towards the rear engine hood:

This is a bad pic but this is how the new cat looks:

Also, finally we didn't make a too complicated air scoop, we just put a panel to take ground air, it's flexible so it would bend if it hit something:

(Check also my new Toyo T1-R)  s:D :D s:D  

Well, now the best part, YES Gaspar is taking care of all that. And when I mean taking care I mean he's going to pay the install of new pieces and repairing bumper, though he is near 2000 miles away.

Isn't simply great  s:?: :?: s:?:     s:mrgreen: :mrgreen: s:mrgreen:  

In some days I'll post my new injectors (GTS) upgrade...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

spit

Quote from: "spynish"Gaspar is taking care of all that. And when I mean taking care I mean he's going to pay the install of new pieces and repairing bumper, though he is near 2000 miles away.
Supergas  s:bowdown: :bowdown: s:bowdown:  

Thanks for the warning Spyni  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  Get those injectors in!

Tem

Quote from: "spynish"We take out the rear exhaust heat isolation (this metallic piece) because we thought air would pass through better... Now we know that's not a good idea at all because the exhaust gets very high temps, as you know:

It's actually the cat that gets super hot. I don't have a cat nor the heat shield and I've had no issues. My whole engine bay is a lot cooler than it ever was with all the stock stuff in place  s8) 8) s8)

philster_d

Im on the list for attention from Gas and so Im looking forward to a visit and also crossing my fingers there are no last minute spanners in the works eg insurance

Philster

spynish

Hi mates,

Here it's a little update:

Finally I have decided to go for this boost controller, I was thinking in getting the profec e01, but don't think I need to spend that amount of money, because this one is cheaper and for my needs it's more than enough. I'm waiting for the emanage software to arrive so don't need this function in my boost controller.

And specs:

"The all new Greddy PRofec B-Spec. II basic function to increase boost is as easy as the original, with an added built in boost pressure display and optional features like real-time, peak or last boost display (in either kPa or PSI). There are optional warning and boost limiter functions that can be programmed to offer much more control. The two presets values can be stored and are executed by a larger capacity inline solenoid valve. This unit does not require extensive programming and is ideal for low to high boost levels for single or twin turbos with actuator or external wastegates"

Basically, what I need is to stablish 2 boost levels (0.4 and 0.6 Bar).
As far as I know, GTS injectors are good till 0.6 Bar more or less, and don't want to push the car more than that. In fact, 0.4 Bar will be my everyday boost.

Has anyone used this boost controller? Any comments?

Thanks!

BenF

Spynish,

Sorry for the thread hyjack - but I was just wondering if you get any CELs with the turbo O2 sensors after the turbo, rather than in the exhaust manifold as per the Hass kit.

I've heard of people with the PE downpipe getting CELs from a setup like this, theory being the sensors disturb the airflow. ON my PE install, I've got an adapter loom that feeds the single O2 sensor output into both sensor inputs to fool the ECU.

The reason I'm interested is that at the moment I have just the one O2 sensor after the turbo, and I'm getting a very slight hesistation when the car is idling. Swapping the Toyota O2 sensor for a new (generic) 4 wire O2 sensor actually made the hesistation worse, and the car would sometimes stall, so I went back to the Toyota sensor.

I'm wondering about putting a second O2 sensor back in the downpipe to improve the idle quality at times.

There's also an issue around the post-main-cat o2 sensor in mine causing a CEL, but I suspect that's a wiring issue somewhere ..

Back to your question though too - I've been looking at different boost controllers as the next purchase for the Roadster (not urgent, just a nice to have) and given markiii and Slacey have got Profec E-01s working I'd probably go with one of those. I have used an AVC-R on my old Mk2 and it took me 6 months to get setup right, but once done was excellent.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

spynish

Hi BenF,

Well since now, the CELs I have had have been related with my exhaust gas leaking (in theory because I still don't have a OBD2 reader. I bought one and when arrived it didn't work, so I had to sent it back and ask for a new one that still hasn't arrive...). So I'm not the more experienced person to talk about that, but there are many PE turbo kit owners that have one sensor after turbo that I'm sure they can help you more than I can.

I have already installed the new dp and cat, and beacuse of work haven't done many km, so I need more testing.

So, any PE owners here that can add something?

Thanks

Anonymous

The conversion to 1 O2 sensor on the PE isn't so much that their after the turbo and not in the manifold, it's the fact that the second one is directly behind the front. So the flow of gases is blocked from the second sensor so it thinks the engine is running lean so keeps adding fuel, and when it does this and no change is seen at the 2nd sensor it throws a CEL.

I've ran for over 2years with one sensor (though it is now a WB) with no problem or CEL's.

The e-01 is too much money if you haven't got an e-manage to use it with IMO.

spynish

QuoteThe e-01 is too much money if you haven't got an e-manage to use it with IMO

s:?: :?: s:?:   I don't understand... I do have the emanage, what I still don't have is the emanage software...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Anonymous

Quote from: "spynish"
QuoteThe e-01 is too much money if you haven't got an e-manage to use it with IMO

s:?: :?: s:?:   I don't understand... I do have the emanage, what I still don't have is the emanage software...  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

I was aiming that at BenF who has the unichip Spyni, not you.  s:D :D s:D

BenF

Quote from: "mr-s_turbo"The conversion to 1 O2 sensor on the PE isn't so much that their after the turbo and not in the manifold, it's the fact that the second one is directly behind the front. So the flow of gases is blocked from the second sensor so it thinks the engine is running lean so keeps adding fuel, and when it does this and no change is seen at the 2nd sensor it throws a CEL.

I've ran for over 2years with one sensor (though it is now a WB) with no problem or CEL's.

The e-01 is too much money if you haven't got an e-manage to use it with IMO.

Cheers - that makes good sense. I'm wondering if the minor hesitation I've got is due to the fact that the ECU isn't seeing any input at all from the post -cat O2 sensor, and so can't long-term tune the fuel mix.

Using the OBDII reader I've got (Spynish - Mine is this  one :  m http://www.gendan.co.uk/viewproduct.php?product=STNISO m  ) the ECU sees 0mV which is wrong - I've datalogged a ride in a 2000 Roadster and captured its output during a normal drive.

Ben
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

aaronjb

Quote from: "BenF"Cheers - that makes good sense. I'm wondering if the minor hesitation I've got is due to the fact that the ECU isn't seeing any input at all from the post -cat O2 sensor, and so can't long-term tune the fuel mix.

I thought (though I could be wrong, this is just my understanding of general OBD-II specs, and Toyota's implimentation could be different) that the only thing the ECU used the post-CAT O2 sensor signal for was flagging up a CAT failure, and that it played no role in the actual engine management of the car at all..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

BenF

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "BenF"Cheers - that makes good sense. I'm wondering if the minor hesitation I've got is due to the fact that the ECU isn't seeing any input at all from the post -cat O2 sensor, and so can't long-term tune the fuel mix.

I thought (though I could be wrong, this is just my understanding of general OBD-II specs, and Toyota's implimentation could be different) that the only thing the ECU used the post-CAT O2 sensor signal for was flagging up a CAT failure, and that it played no role in the actual engine management of the car at all..

Yeah, I thought that too. But the O2 sensor does flip lean to rich, and the ECU could be using this information to to fine-tune the overall fuel delivery. The OBD-II outputs give you a long term fuel trim and short term fuel trim - short term being mostly determined by your right foot  s;) ;) s;)  

If I manage to find and fix the break in the wiring loom it should be possible to test this either way though.

Anonymous

The third O2 isn't used for fueling, i remember reading this when i was confused when i found the jspec doesn't have this sensor.

The short term is the instant changes the ecu makes to keep the engine at stoich. Over a certain time the ecu 'learns' how much change it's had to make and then alters the long term trim. This is made to try and keep stoich level and less short term trim is needed. That's why all of us with turbo and a piggy back need to reset your ECU now and again, so the long term is reset from taking some of the fuel that the piggy back puts in.

Ben have you tried wiring the 2 sensors together at the ECU instead of the wiring that Martin had. He never did know exactly what was in the box of tricks for the O2 coversion, so maybe it's gone a bit 'pete tong'  s:?: :?: s:?:

spit

Guess Who.....Part Two!

Now what do I do?  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

spynish

Great!!!

It looks superb! Very shiny!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Damn Ste, that makes my Hass kit look about as sexy as Vanessa Feltz. Five years ago. In a bright orange bikini.

Tags: