GUESS WHO... (C2 Power Turbo kit)

Started by spynish, June 22, 2005, 13:48

spit

Quote from: "Ekona"Damn Ste, that makes my Hass kit look about as sexy as Vanessa Feltz. Five years ago. In a bright orange bikini.

What a lovely image  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

The camera does lie though - there are some issues to sort out. As with the Hass, its clear that the C2 kit is a low volume fabrication, but no major quibbles. I'm interpreting it as a "rough diamond" and pootling through a tidy-up process at the moment. (I'm guessing that the TTE will poop on Hass & C2 when it comes to production quality)

Found an excellent coating firm locally - more competetive than Zircotec, so me and pipes are shopping tomorrow for ceramic jackets. Gotta choose a colour   s:? :? s:?  

If there is interest, I'll start a new thread on the C2 install. Happy to take pics along the way, so if there's anything you particularly want to see, let me know.

Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

please definetly guide us through the install as i am also saving up hopefully for a c2 turbo kit for my spyder and would want all the info i can get and from the looks of it i'm gonna be the one installing it with some help from a few mechanic friends so if i had an idea of how it went prior to purchasing that would be greatly appereciated.

dimwit

Spit, which coating firm you going to use?..

spit

Quote from: "ladabonkers"please definetly guide us through the install as i am also saving up hopefully for a c2 turbo kit for my spyder and would want all the info i can get and from the looks of it i'm gonna be the one installing it with some help from a few mechanic friends so if i had an idea of how it went prior to purchasing that would be greatly appereciated.
No problem. Are you still considering the Stage I option? If so, it won't be quite the same, but there will be many common issues. Gas is working up a basic install manual, I'm doing the "warts'n'all" version from a turbo-newbie perspective  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Quote from: "dimwit"Spit, which coating firm you going to use?..

Camcoat Performance Coatings in Warrington. They do various finishes inside & out, dependent on application. I couldn't get there today  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  , but will be taking the whole kit over to talk through options - their main guy is unbelievably knowledgable, and the firm has a track record with Aston Martin Lagonda and Le Mans teams, so its in safe hands.

Best of all is the price I've been quoted - which I'll confirm when I eventually get there! I'll get a quote for stock and AEM stuff while I'm at it, if its of use to anyone.

Ste

Anonymous

yea i'm probably gonna stick to the stage 1 kit and maybe, i said maybe, upgrade later on down the road but i'm plenty satisfied with 190-200 hp to the wheels. but i love reading technical write ups since i love doing installs myself or at least help out my mechanic friends during the install. i would have considered the hass kit but i don't want to wait half a year to get the kit and the PE kit is just much too expensive for what is offered. almost 3500 for either hass or PE kit over here in the US. i don't really know how much shipping and tax would add to the 2500 price tag of the c2 kit but its still below the other 2 and its a really simple kit which i like. ok now i'm just typing way too much, keep up the good work and keep us posted.

spit

Quote from: "ladabonkers".... ok now i'm just typing way too much....
Yeah, I do that too   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

TommyD

Spit. Camcoat: Good choice for the coating, I would recommend them. I used them to coat up my Hass exhaust and manifold and they have done a nice job. Just got to get it fitted now.

[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

dimwit

Thanks for the info Spit,Tommy...

philster_d

I wish this was a C2 delivered option. Coated.

Anonymous

Quote from: "TommyD"Spit. Camcoat: Good choice for the coating, I would recommend them. I used them to coat up my Hass exhaust and manifold and they have done a nice job. Just got to get it fitted now.

So how much did it cost you to have those parts coated?

spit

Quote from: "philster_d"I wish this was a C2 delivered option. Coated.
Might be worth asking Gas/Bing to consider this.

Quote from: "TommyD"So how much did it cost you to have those parts coated?
Can't comment on the Hass, but I've just dropped the C2 off today.

I've opted for Racespec triple coat system (good to 1000ºC) - inside & out - on manifold and flexi, double-coat on box, and single coat on tips. Turbo and Compressor housings are also being done, as are the Cooler and 3x air pipes.....thats everything!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

The guys have done me a great package deal (too obscene to print), but I can tell you some of the pre-haggle individual prices - ex-VAT:

Manifold (triple coat) - £100 (single coat is £60)
Flexi downpipe (triple coat) - £23
Box/cat (double coat) - £27
Twin Tips (single coat) - £35
Turbo housing - £50
Compressor housing - £30
Charge Cooler - £50 (and they're gonna straighten the scoop too!)

As promised, I also asked about triple coating for the stock manifold (assuming its de-pre-catted): £135, or £80 single coat.
Exhaust & pipes dependent on your OEM/AEM setup & coating requirements, although you can probably gauge it from the info above.

Ste

TommyD

Well I can imagine that you have got a great deal there. The Hass cost me £300 +VAT triple coated inside and out and Chrome Tips.
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

markiii

you don;'t want to be coating the intercooler pipes, that will just make it harder for them to shed heat.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

spit

Quote from: "markiii"you don;'t want to be coating the intercooler pipes, that will just make it harder for them to shed heat.

Well, thats what I thought & I had exactly this conversation with the lead tech/MD of Camcoat. He had a scout around the engine bay and I talked him through the install/positioning etc. I didn't fully follow his explanation  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  , but it involved words like retention/ absorption/ reflection/ radiation/ gradients/ transfer etc.

Have to confess I'm bowing to his years of experience on this one. Thanks for raising this Mark - I'll try to get clarification of his rationâle for these pages.

Ste

Tem

Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "markiii"you don;'t want to be coating the intercooler pipes, that will just make it harder for them to shed heat.

Well, thats what I thought & I had exactly this conversation with the lead tech/MD of Camcoat. He had a scout around the engine bay and I talked him through the install/positioning etc. I didn't fully follow his explanation  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  , but it involved words like retention/ absorption/ reflection/ radiation/ gradients/ transfer etc.

Have to confess I'm bowing to his years of experience on this one. Thanks for raising this Mark - I'll try to get clarification of his rationâle for these pages.

Ste

Coating can improve heat dissipation from IC, but it won't be the same coating that's used to block heat transfer from exhaust pipes. I'm sure he knows what he's doing, but it never hurts to ask  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

so does this mean you're going to fit it then Tommy???
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

TommyD

Got my clutch going in this Wednesday, so after that I'm ready.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "TommyD"Got my clutch going in this Wednesday, so after that I'm ready.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
What did they charge out of curiousity  s:?: :?: s:?:  And how many hours do they quote  s:?: :?: s:?:  My dad's garage have just changed a Mk2 turbo's clutch and he said it was a pig of a job to do  s:? :? s:?
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

TommyD

I'm told about 5 hours and approx £270 inc VAT

markiii

sounds pretty much teh same as when mine was done.

allow an extra hour or so for the car to cool down first as it will be hot when you arrive, and they won't be able to start straight away.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"allow an extra hour or so for the car to cool down first as it will be hot when you arrive, and they won't be able to start straight away.

Bah, the weaklings.. they should take a leaf out of your book, mark  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "aaronjb"
Quote from: "markiii"allow an extra hour or so for the car to cool down first as it will be hot when you arrive, and they won't be able to start straight away.

Bah, the weaklings.. they should take a leaf out of your book, mark  s;) ;) s;)
What fireblanket hands Mark  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

spit

Quote from: "spit"Thanks for raising this Mark - I'll try to get clarification of his rationâle for these pages.
This thread is turning in a fair old mix of stuff! Anyhoo - as promised, the rationâle from Camcoat:
QuoteThe density of the air going into the cylinders needs to be as high as possible for max power. Higher pressures and lower temperatures increase the density. The underbonnet heat generated by the exhaust heats the air pipes and hence the air inside. Each 10 degs cooler is worth 1% power on nat asp engines and 2% power on turbo engines. So by insulating the source of heat (the exhaust) and the inlet air pipes the charge air is kept as cool as possible. Same logic applies to the intercooler but here more heat is taken out of the compressed air by using the thermal dispersant coating. There are no detrimental effects.

LeeUK

That bloke knows what he's talking about.... even if we don't!

Sounds like a good place to go, really makes the kit look nice too with a nice lick of paint.

<edit>
Just seen the pictures of the kit new, looks so nice I don't think I could paint it! So nicely polished!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

spit

Quote from: "LeeUK"Just seen the pictures of the kit new, looks so nice I don't think I could paint it! So nicely polished!   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

I know what you mean, but its not just paint - its up to 3 blended ceramic coats - inside & out - each one oven-cured at its optimal temperature..... (Jeez, sounds like an M&S advert  s:lol: :lol: s:lol: )

Picked everything up on Friday. Its still bubble-wrapped, but I'll post pics as soon as I've figured out how to get access to my NTL webspace!! (anyone know??)

BTW, if you like paint and polish, they do a Cermachrome finish too. More bling, but only(!) good to 900ºC with a basecoat.

Tags: