Wheel Corrosion

Started by Anonymous, July 2, 2005, 12:00

Anonymous

Can anyone tell me for sure whether the alloy wheels fitted on a MK3 MR2 can be replaced by warranty if they begin bubble and corrode?

Many thanks.

Anonymous

Mines going into the garage on monday for them to have a look at, I'll let you know what happens.

Liz

Hi Justin and welcome to the forum, this subject has been well covered, here is one thread that will show you, clickhere
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Just had all 4 changed under warranty  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

dimwit

Booked mine in again for another set of alloys...  s:( :( s:(    Does anybody know if the coating on them is better now..  s:?: :?: s:?:

Slacey

Quote from: "dimwit"Booked mine in again for another set of alloys...  s:( :( s:(    Does anybody know if the coating on them is better now..  s:?: :?: s:?:
I'd guess not in all honesty  s:? :? s:?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

kanujunkie

Quote from: "dimwit"Does anybody know if the coating on them is better now..  s:?: :?: s:?:

my dealer said it had changed but that it was only for the worst and only goes quicker  s:( :( s:(
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

SteveJ

Toyota GB used to use Pristine in Milton Keynes, but since Toyota GB ceased to be a seperate business entity a couple of years ago (Toyota JP now controls all decisions) the wheels have to be returned to Japan for repair.

For the period that Pristine were refurbing the wheels, the quality was much better and my set from them lasted 12+months with no problems at all.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "SteveJ"Toyota GB used to use Pristine in Milton Keynes, but since Toyota GB ceased to be a seperate business entity a couple of years ago (Toyota JP now controls all decisions) the wheels have to be returned to Japan for repair.

For the period that Pristine were refurbing the wheels, the quality was much better and my set from them lasted 12+months with no problems at all.

glad you could remember the companies name, i was racking my brain and failed, suppose thats what you get for having 6hrs sleep in 48hrs, shift work, you've gotta hate it  s:? :? s:?    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "SteveJ"Toyota GB used to use Pristine in Milton Keynes, but since Toyota GB ceased to be a seperate business entity a couple of years ago (Toyota JP now controls all decisions) the wheels have to be returned to Japan for repair.

glad you could remember the companies name, i was racking my brain and failed, suppose thats what you get for having 6hrs sleep in 48hrs, shift work, you've gotta hate it  s:? :? s:?    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
They are based in Woburn Sands not that far from me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

My original set lasted almost two years, but were certainly showing the dreaded signs by that stage.  The second set, installed last September have just been replaced under warranty.

Have to say that the marks were minimal but as the warranty expired last Friday I wanted the job doing.

I had no problem with the Service Manager and he also installed a new set of front discs as the set replaced last September(as well) were showing signs of corrosion again.

Not a bad deal!

Shame I'll have to pay from now on...................

Andrew

Bongo

I got my wheels replaced out of warranty - they will replace them again within a year (of replacement) as long as you have FTSH etc etc.

Worth asking them if it happens again.

Anonymous

Just picked car up from West Riding Toyota,Hudds. Very helpful, have ordered me four new wheels, plus new front discs and pads, so i can't argue with that kind of service.

roger

I have a mate (yes 1!) who works for Land Rover / Jaguar / Ford.

I mentioned that we used to, and maybe still might do, get refurbished wheels.

He told me that for them this is a complete NO NO. In his (and his companies opinion) a replacement under warranty has to be a brand new part.

He even said that he is aware that if a wrong part goes on a car in production, and is then replaced, the old part goes in the bin. Its not used again, at all, ever.

He is not absolutely sure whether that is only his company's policy, but reckons a chat to Trading Standards should confirm one way or the other. So anybody in that position might want to try.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

kanujunkie

Quote from: "roger"He even said that he is aware that if a wrong part goes on a car in production, and is then replaced, the old part goes in the bin. Its not used again, at all, ever.

for a wheel  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  what a terrible waste of resources, we are after all talking about a tiny bit of surface corrosion, not a major component failure
[size=100]Stu[/size]

heathstimpson

I believe that we get brand new alloys everytime; not refurbished ones.

roger

Quote from: "roger"He even said that he is aware that if a wrong part goes on a car in production, and is then replaced, the old part goes in the bin. Its not used again, at all, ever.

for a wheel  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  what a terrible waste of resources, we are after all talking about a tiny bit of surface corrosion, not a major component failure

Maybe, but that's Government Rules & Regulations for you. They often don't compliment each other. Red tape is so much wasted time, effort and money.

Heath, you say we get new wheels, what were your local refurbishers doing then? Were they only looking after non-warranty work?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

heathstimpson

Quote from: "roger"

Maybe, but that's Government Rules & Regulations for you. They often don't compliment each other. Red tape is so much wasted time, effort and money.

Heath, you say we get new wheels, what were your local refurbishers doing then? Were they only looking after non-warranty work?
I've used them myself in the past. Mr T has told me that they always order brand new alloys from Japan; thats why I had such a big wait on the last change

Anonymous

It's only £150 ish to refurb them if out of warranty and you probably get a years warranty on the refurb. Might be worth it for some if they get really bad. My 2 is 4 years old and the wheels are showing a tiny bit of corrosion now, but not bad enough to do anything about   s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

I have my new set on order from Pentagon Toyota, Barnsley. The mechanic says that they don't have this problem at all in Japan, and he thought the problem had been rectified. He said that it must be the damp British weather  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:   I tried to keep a straight face but I couldn't help it, i just laughed and laughed and laughed.................

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Richard"I have my new set on order from Pentagon Toyota, Barnsley. The mechanic says that they don't have this problem at all in Japan, and he thought the problem had been rectified. He said that it must be the damp British weather  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:   I tried to keep a straight face but I couldn't help it, i just laughed and laughed and laughed.................

so it's nothing to do with the 60 trillion billion zillion tonnes of salt on the roads then  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "kanujunkie"60 trillion billion zillion tonnes

Is that a scientific measurement?  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

I had all 4 of mine replaced last year under warranty - they're now all bubbling up again. We're booked in for our 30K service this week and I've taken the car to the dealer so they could see the wheels - they've ordered another 4 for me no problem.. but... they say that because the back 2 of them appear to have been kerbed they may not be able to replace them under warranty.

doesn't make sense to me at all - I'm not asking for them to be changed because I've kerbed it, I'm asking because they're bubbling up.

Also, when I took the car in for them to check them out I was told by the service manager that Mr T recognises the problem and is now offering after-market wheels as an alternative - only problem is that they have have only a line drawing of them and expected me to make up my mind without seeing a photo etc. Apparently if I said yes to the new jobbies then decided I didn't like them when I saw them it would be tough. I left it that they'd try and find me a pic or the proper name etc so I could search t'interwait, but then came back to me saying that it's only on pre-03s so I don't have the option anyway.

So, after all that waffle I have 2 questions:

1) any advice / comments please on how to convince them that they really do need to change all 4 again?

2) anyone else heard of Mr T offering after-market wheels instead nowadays?

Am booked in for thursday so any advice would be very much appreciated?

ta muchly

Sandi

dimwit

Getting all 4 alloys (11 months old) changed again this Friday, never said anything to me about after-market wheels...  s:? :? s:?

heathstimpson

Quote from: "swp"Also, when I took the car in for them to check them out I was told by the service manager that Mr T recognises the problem and is now offering after-market wheels as an alternative - only problem is that they have have only a line drawing of them and expected me to make up my mind without seeing a photo etc. Sandi
This must be unique to your dealer as mine knows nothing regarding the aftermarket alloy option  s:? :? s:?

Tags: