Wheel Corrosion

Started by Anonymous, July 2, 2005, 12:00

Anonymous

Quote from: "swp". they say that because the back 2 of them appear to have been kerbed they may not be able to replace them under warranty.

Sandi

I had my 30k service done not so long ago http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7437

Both of my fronts had been kerbed slightly but they were replaced without any problem.

They also replaced the front pads after skimming the discs.

Anonymous

thanks - will see what they have to say tomorrow.

will also see what I can find out about the aftermarket wheels and let you all know....

Anonymous

Have picked up the 2 from his 30k service today - the good news is they replaced all 4 alloys   s:D :D s:D   AND they're also going to replace the misting up rear light clusters (that's only taken me a year and a half to persuade them!)   s:D :D s:D   bad news is that apparently Mr T no longer authorises replacement of rusty discs (as of a week ago they tell me) - but they will paint them. oh well, can't win em all i spose (unless you fellas know anything different???)

the aftermarket alloy option is only available for pre-03s, I'll be speaking to the warranty blokey on monday to check he's ordered my lights so will find out exactly what these are in case any of you are interested....

Chris

Quote from: "martin-s"My 2 is 4 years old and the wheels are showing a tiny bit of corrosion now, but not bad enough to do anything about   s:) :) s:)

Mine's just started to show the fatal first signs of bubbling as well after 2 years, but nothing to worry about yet.  I think I'll wait to closer towards the end of the warranty period...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

My 30k 02 plate has alloys starting to flake and minor bubbling as well as extreme rusting on all the hubs. Dealer replaced all the alloys and disks under warranty which expires in a couple of weeks.

Looks like new now - but for how long!!

Tom

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Spangles"My 30k 02 plate has alloys starting to flake and minor bubbling as well as extreme rusting on all the hubs. Dealer replaced all the alloys and disks under warranty which expires in a couple of weeks.

Looks like new now - but for how long!!

Tom

time to start saving to either get alloys refurbished next time or a new set. My 53 has had 3 sets of alloys now so your looking at a new set every 10months ish
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Ernie Ball

I'd like to get mine refurbed like markiii's.  I think black wheels on a black car with black rotors would look the business.

Gotta try to find someone in Ireland who can do it, though.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Ernie Ball"I think black wheels on a black car with black rotors would look the business.
This wouldn't be Hotblack Desiato's stunt car, would it?  s:D :D s:D

(with apologies to Douglas Adams)

Anonymous

Sorry to bring up an old thread,

I remember reading that someone managed to claim for a set of refurbished/new wheels under the Anti-Corrosion Warranty (12Year).

Has anyone managed to claim through this?

Anonymous

i managed to claim for new wheels on my 5 year old car but waste of time, on closer in spection it seems only difference was new wheels come with a tight plastic covering on them to stop things touching the alloy and causign corrosion, and this plastic flakes off

think im just gona get new wheels

Anonymous

a few weeks ago i asked and was told no. mines is an 01 with extended warranty and was told that wheels are only replaced within the first 3 years. also, if you do get a new set of wheels and they corrode after just outside the 3 year warranty, they won't be replaced "Otherwise you would be getting new wheels for life"

going to phone toyota uk and get this officially though.

Anonymous

My Local said the same thing, but I Am sure someone with a 2000, claimed for a new set, wanted to find out who, and call there local, to see if they'll do it for me.

Anonymous

Jist had my in 4 new wheels and the disks painted. 03 plate

heathstimpson

My 2 will be three years old in just over two months and it looks like the third set are just starting to go already  s:? :? s:?  Will have to take it in for replacements before the warrenty finishes and I'll get some new rubber fitted at the same time  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

heathstimpson

Toyota have agrred to order what will be my fourth set of alloys. I will be also getting a new set of Toyo tyres for them to fit to save me the extra cost of having new tyres fitted later. My front Bridgestone RE40 tyres have about 4mm on them; anyone interested in these  s:?: :?: s:?:

Anonymous

The set I had fitted in July last year are showing early signs of bubbling and the car is now out of warranty!  s:x :x s:x

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Les"The set I had fitted in July last year are showing early signs of bubbling and the car is now out of warranty!  s:x :x s:x
Mine will be out of warrenty in six weeks so will just have to have them recoated properly when they corrode in six months time  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I cant understand the quality of these alloys, they are poor, its almost as though no testing has been done on them by toyota at all. All car manufactures would have you believe that each component has been tested under all sorts of conditions for months on end.
 My alloys were changed by the dealership prior to me purchasing the car just less than a year ago. I have only driven in the dry, approx 3000 miles, been tucked away all winter,woke her up after her slumber and to my shock hundreds of grey patches all over the inside of all four wheels.It seems they dont even survive a few months in fresh air, when they should of lasted longer than this if they had been submerged in the sea.Those wheels have been polished more times than i've driven the car, they are certainly not fit for purpose TOYOTA get your act together.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Chrisjam"I cant understand the quality of these alloys, they are poor, its almost as though no testing has been done on them by toyota at all. All car manufactures would have you believe that each component has been tested under all sorts of conditions for months on end.
 My alloys were changed by the dealership prior to me purchasing the car just less than a year ago. I have only driven in the dry, approx 3000 miles, been tucked away all winter,woke her up after her slumber and to my shock hundreds of grey patches all over the inside of all four wheels.It seems they dont even survive a few months in fresh air, when they should of lasted longer than this if they had been submerged in the sea.Those wheels have been polished more times than i've driven the car, they are certainly not fit for purpose TOYOTA get your act together.
I know what you mean The 'Toyota Production System'incorportaing lean manufacturing techniques and continuous improvement is copied around the world, so what happened to the alloy quality control  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

One of my rears started looking pitted after about 6months from new. I reported the problem on my first (one year) service. Only had 6,000km on the clock and here in Grece, we do not have salt on the roads! I've taken pics and given them to the dealer. He say they will probably replace them. I'll let you know what happens. I'm not sure if this 'pitting' is the same as the corrosion that others have?

Cheers

Nathan

heathstimpson

Getting my fourth set fitted tomorrow with a nice new set of Toyos as well  s8) 8) s8)

Anonymous

Out of interest, has anyone had a set refurbed out of warranty? It looks like that is the route I'm going to have to take, I've had a quote for a proper job, i.e. sandblasting, painting, leaving to bake and 4 coats of lacquer at £50 a corner - can choose any colour for the wheels I like. How does this sound?

Cheers

Roo.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Roo"Out of interest, has anyone had a set refurbed out of warranty? It looks like that is the route I'm going to have to take, I've had a quote for a proper job, i.e. sandblasting, painting, leaving to bake and 4 coats of lacquer at £50 a corner - can choose any colour for the wheels I like. How does this sound?

Cheers

Roo.
Probably a better bet to be honest. I have always had to have a brand new set  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I was quoted £35 / corner by carrick engineering in prestwick for blasting, painting, lacquering and baking, for a 3 day turnaround and me dropping off the wheels to them.

think it was £45 per corner to have it all done in a day.

philster_d

I need mine doing and they are off the car so that sounds appealing. Im in no rush to get them back.

Phil

Tags: