Yet another ticking engine thread...

Started by Anonymous, July 11, 2005, 17:49

Anonymous

This weekend my engine developed a nasty ticking type sound. I've checked as many threads as I can find, and the only "good" (read as "cheap") answer I could find was the belt tensioner.

Unfortunately the sound seems to be coming from the middle of the engine compartment, toward the rear of the engine (when viewing from the rear of the car), near the firewall and not the side of the engine near the tensioner.

The real bad news is that I checked my oil and found I was nearly 2 quarts down. It has been approximately 2400 miles since my last oil change, so I'm well above the 1.5qt/3000mi tolerance.

I've added the 2 quarts I was down, and the noise has certainly quieted down, but the fact that it went through 2 quarts in 2400 miles doesn't make me feel terribly secure...

The car just turned over 39000 miles this weekend, and is from the 2000 model year. Oil changes were performed every 3k-5k miles since I've owned it (car had about 23k miles on it when I purchased it).

I know the cars have a 3 yr/36000mi bumper to warranty, but I've read that the powertrain carries a greater warranty. Is this the case? Or am I most likely SOL? The more I look into this, the less "good" it looks...

Thanks,
Andy

Jap GT300

It doesn't sound very promising.  The 1ZZ is notorious for having a noisy valvetrain but from what you've decribed I doubt it is that.

Do you still have a standard exhaust manifold?  If so remove one of your O2 sensors and check that the pre cats are still both solid.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Jap GT300"It doesn't sound very promising.  The 1ZZ is notorious for having a noisy valvetrain but from what you've decribed I doubt it is that.

Do you still have a standard exhaust manifold?  If so remove one of your O2 sensors and check that the pre cats are still both solid.

I have the standard exhaust manifold.  I hope to get to the 02 sensors this evening.

If I'm not mistaken, I should just have to take the heat shield off to get to the sensor, correct?  If anyone has pictures to document this part of the engine, I'd love to see them.

Anonymous

Anonymous

Quote from: "Beastie"Have a look here

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... 66&start=0 m

Now I get to hope that the bolts holding the shield on aren't rusted solid..  They're not looking very nice these days...

roger

No. Don't have to take the heat shield off to undo the O2 sensors.

In fact you have to take one out to get the heat shield off anyway.

You also need a 22mm O2 sensor socket.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"No. Don't have to take the heat shield off to undo the O2 sensors.

In fact you have to take one out to get the heat shield off anyway.

You also need a 22mm O2 sensor socket.

Gotcha.

Anonymous

The dealer now has the car.  We'll see what they say.  I found that I am still under the 5yr/60k mile powertrain warranty, so I have my fingers crossed.

Tags: