Problem following my intake manifold explosion!

Started by Slacey, July 13, 2005, 18:55

Anonymous

I found the same as Ian, ie turbo and piggy back and never had a problen with idle following a straight ECU reset

Slacey

Must just be me then  s:? :? s:?  

Maybe it's a foible of the Hass kit? I guess we will find out when Mark is up and running.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Slacey

I was right not to count my chickens too early  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

It stuttered a little getting off the driveway again this morning but then ran perfectly on the journey to work. It then sat for 9 hours (in the shade for what it's worth) and then ran like crap again all the way home  s:? :? s:?  
What on earth is causing this that it is so intermittent, fine one day then screwed the next? I will be investigating over the weekend but I'm really not in the mood for hours on hours of messing with it. Again  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Heres a thought. what if both the stumble and the tendency to explode are both related and involve a recalcitrant fuel injector?

At shutdown, it doesnt close all the way and dribbles into the manifold.
At speed,  it intermittantly sticks wide open or closed, causing the stumble.

Put the OEM 260cc's back in and set the EM Injector Change Factor back to 1.00 and see if the problem goes away. Stay out of BOOST!

Heres another long shot.
Where is your Emanage injector ground pin#18 connected?
It s/b on the white w/black stripe on ECU E5-21.

markiii

you can't put the oem injectors in without having to re pin the clips again.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Repin the clips, Well, yes ,of course. It was just a thought.
But I'd bet the injector/s are the root.

Perhaps take the 380cc out and have them flowbenched or whatever that test is.

Slacey

The problem still persists  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

I have stripped the car down twice now looking for split hoses etc. and come up with nothing. The car was in for some warranty work however a few days befor the bang and for some strange reason the techs decided to top the oil up. And did they top it up - after checking and noticing it was over the full mark I have since drained off nearly a liter of oil! One thing I notived when pulling stuff apart was there was oil in the IC piping, and most noticably in the PCV itself, the krankvent inline with it and the hose connecting the two to the intake manifold.
This then gave me a theory - if the excess oil was being sucked down the PCV hose, would this then not puddle in the intake manifold? Surely this getting into the cylinders or fogging in the intake could cause the stuttering problem? Another thing that backs this up is that when I shot half a can of carsb / throttle body cleaner through the system the car ran fine for around 20 miles then when returning on my journey home ran like crap again.
Thoughts please... now the oil is back to the correct level (I drained the second lot off last night) would a thorough cleaning of the intake system clear this up or am I just grasping at straws here?
Lastly, I have ran the car for around 50+ miles like this and although it runs poorly there hasn't been a single CEL or untoward noise from the engine....

kanujunkie

thank god there are no oiled bearings or a pressurised system on the engine otherwise you could have been in a lot worse senario. Only thing i see now in getting rid of it is the oil on water problem, a little bit of oil goes a long way even when its not on the water, perhaps a full clean could be a good idea, plenty of hands to help at JAE as well Sean. I'll keep my fingers crossed that this is the cause, seems a resonable theory under the circumstances
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Jap GT300

Highly likely considering your circumstances.  I think this could be the cause of my problem also but because of the way the 2ZZ sits I have to drop the engine to remove the manifold    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

You need to remove the manifold anyway so that you can give it a detailed inspection!

Slacey

Yeah, dropping the intake manifold seems likely. The car ran really badly this  morning and as I now work near my dealer in Shrewsbury I have booked it in to be looked at in detail, hopefully they will drop it for me  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Unfortunately though the earliest they could squeeze me in was Saturday (JAE) so it's in on Monday.

As for JAE? If it continues to get any worse I'm not sure I want to risk the 110 mile journey with a heavily pregnant AnnMarie on board (assuming baby doesn't make an appearance before Friday!). I'll see how it runs for the rest of the week before making a decision  s:( :( s:(

philster_d

So still not got to the bottom of it.

Should I be worried about the Hass setup ? could the turbo temperatures or pressures have lead to you emissions or oil build up ?

Philster.

Slacey

OK, an update hot off the press - it ran like crap to the clients place I was visiting, ran like crap to the next client, ran like crap for five minutes on the journey to the office then after sitting at some lights for a couple of minutes it ran beautifully as it always has for the remaining 10 miles  s:? :? s:?  
The test will be the journey home, but I think my oil contamination theory might have been correct and that it has now all dispersed after all the cleaning and putting the oil level right.

Whatever the problem was (or still is) is not related IMO to the Hass kit. It was caused either by the manifold explosion (that in all fairness could be a leaky injector) or the oil overfill. Unfortunately as both happened within a couple of days of each other it is proving impossible to say which of the two faults caused it. Don't worry about it, the kit is sound.

Tags: