which turbo to choose

Started by Anonymous, July 18, 2005, 08:23

Anonymous

I got a 02 MR2. Can anyone give me a suggestion on which turbo to use. I'm leaning towards the Hass since it includes so much with the kit. There is also the Apexi, Power Enterprise, and the Veilside. Any comments on any of them.
Thanks to everyone that gets back with me

xdesign

I would go with the TTE Turbo.

Second choice: Hass.

Slacey

All I will say is do plenty of research first, there is stacks of info here. I have the Hass so am slightly biased, but the PE is a good kit, and the new C2 kit looks great too. TTE? Way to expensive and underpowered IMO, but look up the details as it may well appeal to you.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

spit

See also a few threads down at  http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7599
and listing of kits (not all available but some stats and pics) at
http://www.angelfire.com/space/mr-s/chargerpage.html
(1 harmless popup)
Ste
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tem

IMHO this is a great deal:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=7721 m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

spit

Link doesn't work for me Tem. Maybe its a Monday thing!
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Tem

Quote from: "spit"Link doesn't work for me Tem. Maybe its a Monday thing!

It seems to work to me  s:? :? s:?

Well, go to the sales area and find a topic called "[FS] Top Secret Turbo kit for Spyder *pics are up*"  s8) 8) s8)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

dreambackup

after intensive research, I'd say:

TTE is way too expensive for what they provide but there is a warranty that you can count on...

PE is the cheapest reliable / most used

Hass is the big thing since its launch, lots of delay, very difficult to even have an offer...

C2 Power is the newest, they're not too far, lack experience but are learning fast. they don't want to think about SMT for now so it's a no go for me...

My choice is now Hass and I am trying to have their team flown over to Europe for 3 or more installs in France... the kit is not cheap but it seems to be good quality, the right power...

Now, it's difficult not to think about a 2ZZ swap for the same money... very different result...
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

spynish

Hi,

obviously i'm biased to C2power turbo kit, but I finally decided to go with C2 because of the great feedback of Celica C2power turbo owners, something is usually remarked is the great customer support and after sales service, which is very important for me.

I considered Hass for a long time but my doubts were installing and tuning my car (difficult to find someone experienced around here). I thouhgt that the kit C2 wanted to develop would be similar to Hass' and that's why I finally went this route (also the economic factor was very important  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

Now we're close to ending the kit, all I have to say about C2 are good things. As I had read, geat customer support. Gaspar just want to do is best and he works hard to do it. He also knows to hear customer doubts and requests.

I'm sure it's going to be a great kit...

dreambackup

could you convince him to make a turbo SMT, I would be grateful  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

or... work with Jay Hass as Hass offered on Spyderchat  s8) 8) s8)
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

dieamond

SMT or manual turbo is the same, there are no major differences in the engine bay.

the only problem is to have an electronic management that fits both.
hass uses an emanage, so no problem.
what's used in the C2 kit ?
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia
JUN - Racing Gear - APR Performance - HKS - Apexi - Project Mu - Trial

spynish

same  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

dieamond

that's what I read on their site

so installing the C2 on a SMT is not a problem.
TRD - Cusco - C-One - Tom\'s - Amuse - Top secret - Veilside - Spoon - Blitz - Invidia

Anonymous

I would go with either the PE or C2 (depending on the numbers Spynish's kit puts out).

Read my sig, and make of that what you will.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "ekona"I would go with either the PE or C2 (depending on the numbers Spynish's kit puts out).

Read my sig, and make of that what you will.

still not recieved the kit then Dan?  s:( :( s:(
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

dieamond

I'd say the C2 is a little too "handmade" for me yet.

And with the huge number of problems I have on PPE "handmade" stuff, I'm a little affraid :/

Anonymous

Nope. I wish I'd never ordered it now.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "ekona"Nope. I wish I'd never ordered it now.

cant you cancel the order?
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "ekona"Nope. I wish I'd never ordered it now.

cant you cancel the order?

If I do, I'll lose 50% of the money I've already paid. Since I can't afford to do that, I have no choice but to sit and wait. If I knew what I know now, I wouldn't have ordered the damn thing.

Slacey

Have you rang Jay and spoken to him direct? It's the best way to get results in my experience.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

The misconception just never goes does it regarding the SMT and MT   s:? :? s:?  

Aslong as the kit doesn't interupt with the gear that is on the SMT then any kit will work.  All you need is to get from the manufacturer are dimensions the IC/exhausts and pipes, are away from the location of the gear and that will tell you if it will fit without altering stuff.

I guarantee the PE will fit, the Apexi won't without work and replacement of the IC, Hass make one for the SMT already and C2...we'll have to see.

The PFC wont work on the SMT. The emanage or unichip will, no problems.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Slacey"Have you rang Jay and spoken to him direct? It's the best way to get results in my experience.

Haven't rung him, but have been told that they're just waiting on the water fittings from Garrett now. So close, yet so far.

I know it'll be worth it when it gets here, but even so...

markiii

just as well my install uis using up all of the pain quotient then  :-) :-) :-)

yours shoudl be a breeze.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "markiii"just as well my install uis using up all of the pain quotient then  :-) :-) :-)

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Very true!

heathstimpson

Quote from: "dreambackup"could you convince him to make a turbo SMT, I would be grateful  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  
Daz400 has a turboed SMT already  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: