Failed ABS - the saga continues

Started by SteveJ, August 16, 2003, 20:31

SteveJ

Well it's been a week now, and no update, so I called TCS and after a 20(!) minute wait, they informed me that the technical center have confirmed there is a fault with my car and are now going to look at it.

All I can say is "WHAT THE F**K ARE THEY PLAYING AT? DON'T THEY BELIEVE THEIR CUSTOMERS/DEALERS/TECHNICAL MANAGERS?"

So, to recap, it has taken 4 months of continuous grief and all we have achieved is yet another person has said "Yep it's knackered!"

s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  NOW I'M GETTING SERIOUSLY ANNOYED  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

I hope you let them know that.  jeeze.

Anonymous

and you sound surprised....?!?   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

I think you should take your anger out on the celica seeing as they are paying for it... just how fast can you go in first gear in one of them and how many times can you bounce off the redline before the engine gives up...?   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I think you should take your anger out on the celica seeing as they are paying for it... just how fast can you go in first gear in one of them and how many times can you bounce off the redline before the engine gives up...?   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

s:) :) s:)  What was that 6th to 2nd move Steve mentioned?  s:) :) s:)

SteveJ

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"I think you should take your anger out on the celica seeing as they are paying for it... just how fast can you go in first gear in one of them and how many times can you bounce off the redline before the engine gives up...?   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:    s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Shhhh - don't tell Camden Toyota, but I did drive from near Heathrow to Luton (~40 miles) via the M25 in 3rd gear all the way (that includes all stops etc) in their BRAND NEW Yaris. At the very least the clutch was toast judging by the smell, and I don't think the gearbox was far behind.

A little tip - you don't want to see me when I get really angry  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

So far I've put 850 miles on the Celica, and there's another 150+ to go on tomorrow  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

GSB

Quote from: "SteveJ"Shhhh - don't tell Camden Toyota, but I did drive from near Heathrow to Luton (~40 miles) via the M25 in 3rd gear all the way (that includes all stops etc) in their BRAND NEW Yaris. At the very least the clutch was toast judging by the smell, and I don't think the gearbox was far behind.

3rd gear? Bloody hell thats good... Every time I go on the M25 I consider myself lucky to make use of so high a gear. Its normally crawling along at a snails pace...
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

SteveJ

Quote from: "GSB"
Quote from: "SteveJ"Shhhh - don't tell Camden Toyota, but I did drive from near Heathrow to Luton (~40 miles) via the M25 in 3rd gear all the way (that includes all stops etc) in their BRAND NEW Yaris. At the very least the clutch was toast judging by the smell, and I don't think the gearbox was far behind.

3rd gear? Bloody hell thats good... Every time I go on the M25 I consider myself lucky to make use of so high a gear. Its normally crawling along at a snails pace...

I was impressed too - best bit was most of the time I was hovering VERY close to the redline - even managed to ping off it a couple of times!

Slacey

Steve, yer a bad lad!   s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

SteveJ

Well it's been nearly 3 weeks now, and finally I get a call from TCS to say they are making progress........  s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?  

Apparently the technicians have identified a foreign substance in the ABS actuator which is interfering with the solenoid operation.

When pushed for more info, the description of this 'substance' sounds like casting sand - the type used when the body of the actuator was cast.

Now the actuator was supposed to have been replaced by the dealer nearly 2 months ago, so either :-

1) The dealership is lying (wouldn't surprise me based on past performance)
2) Toyota have a quality control problem with the ABS actuators fitted to '03 SMT cars

If it's 1) I'm going to have a problem doing anything nasty to them as they are no longer a Toyota franchise

If it's 2) then maybe more of us need to check the behaviour of our brakes when performing an emergency stop.

More news as it breaks.........(or should that be brakes  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted: )

SteveJ

AAAARRGH!!!!!

Well surprisingly enough Toyota have failed yet again to fix my car and they STILL refuse to replace it saying that they only need 'a couple more days' to fix it.

s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  WELL NOW I HAVE HAD ENOUGH  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

I have served notice on them that as of tomorrow morning I am starting legal action against Toyota GB and The Camden Motor Group to get the vehicle replaced without any further delay.

Can anybody suggest a good civil-law solicitor who can act on my behalf?

Slacey

s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  I think Steve's going to open one hell of a can of whoopass!   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

We use Charles Russell at work (http://www.cr-law.co.uk/).  They do private and commercial work, so may be able to help (though I'm not entirely sure).

Jap GT300

Hi Steve,

I got your message and have had a word with a couple of people on your behalf.  I will give you a buzz a little later with some info.

I think your problem will most probably relate to Consumer rights and Contract.  I will have to have a good reed through this thread!

Adam

dancarbon

Give em hell Steve!
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

StephenBennett

This is very worrying. I'm just about to buy my first new car - the MR-2. I was (obviously wrongly), under the impression that, if anything did go wrong under warranty, it wouldn't become a problem that required legal action to solve.  s:( :( s:(  

Good luck though

Regards

Stephen

Slacey

Quote from: "StephenBennett"This is very worrying. I'm just about to buy my first new car - the MR-2. I was (obviously wrongly), under the impression that, if anything did go wrong under warranty, it wouldn't become a problem that required legal action to solve.  s:( :( s:(  
Don't let this put you off though Stephen, there are far more on the board that haven't had ANY problems at all (myself included), than those that have. It's still a very reliable car, IMO.

Tem

Quote from: "Slacey"Don't let this put you off though Stephen, there are far more on the board that haven't had ANY problems at all (myself included), than those that have. It's still a very reliable car, IMO.

Even with the thing that just hit me, I still think the car is pretty reliable. It's the first real problem I've had in three years. Toyota is constantly ranked among the most reliable car in most tests and surveys...you should see the trouble some other brands have...

Besides three years of pure joy easily overcomes few weeks worth of trouble. Even if it doesn't feel like that when you're in the middle of it  s:? :? s:?

I'm afraid your chances with some other car would be worse...JMHO of course.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

SteveJ

s:D :D s:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Finally a phone call from TCS where they have seen sense - they are making one more change to my car to attempt to fix the problem, and then they are giving up!!!

Basically they are checking the wiring loom (they tried to suggest I had made changes to the cars wiring which could have had an effect - the only thing I have done is take power from the Sony HU adapter loom to run the hands-free kit and the Snooper!). If these checks do not reveal and resolve the fault by Monday morning (fat chance!) they *WILL* buy-back the car for the full value of a *NEW* vehicle and source me a *NEW* car!

Roll on Monday

s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce: :bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce::bounce:

Anonymous

thats great news steve... i take it they will swop the leather out for you though?!?!

GSB

So will you be re-ordering your H&S now?
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Slacey

Great news Steve, I'm really pleased you got a good result. That means you will be needing that strut bar now though   s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

Fantastic!

Anonymous

Steve

It's about bloody time  s:!: :!: s:!:  A very long wait, but hopefully a new car to look forward to.

What about a nice set of chrome styling hoops to compliment the look of a H&S exhaust?

Regards
  s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

dancarbon

Result  s:D :D s:D
2001 Black Manual Soft-top

SteveJ

My new car is now on order - currently no delivery date, but they are hopeful of locating a new car in the UK.

Only one drawback - they want the Celica back (fair enough I guess - I've got what I wanted all along and it's cost them an arm and leg  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted: ), so a Corolla T-Spirit is being delivered tomorrow AM for me to use until they find my new motor  s:bounce: :bounce: s:bounce:

So far in the last 3 days I've got a new job (more money, more holiday and less grief  s:) :) s:)  ) and Toyota are replacing my car with a *brand new* one. If all good things come in 3's, I'm just waiting for number 3 to come along.........  s;) ;) s;)

Tags: