Down Pipe (Help)

Started by Jap GT300, August 19, 2003, 07:22

Jap GT300

I ordered the PPE down pipe from Rob at no limits, to eradicate the main cat.  The first problem I hit was the hole in the pipe for an O2 sensor the J-Spec only have 2 in the precats.  This could have a bung of some sorts put in it.

My main concern was that the manifold end of the downpipe had a bracket but the the original pipe with the main cat was wealded (1 piece, looks like it came that way from the factory)

Is this the same with UK Downpipes?  I may be able to order the extension from the US or do they weald them together?

thanks Adam

p.s. its difficult livinG in the UK with a Jap car ordering US parts!

Jap GT300

Any Ideas?

I have just posted on SC and will have to email PPE if i get no luck.

Thanks
Adam

GSB

If I'm reding this correctly you say you have a manifold welded directly to a cat converter? If this is the case then I suspect someones been in there before you as the usual arrangment is for the manifold to be bolted onto the cat.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

GSB

Hang on, I think I just worked this out...

You have a PPE down pipe in order to replace the cat, and you want to mate to a standard manifold?

Wont work, the PPE downpipe is a different design and only mates to the PPE manifold and a stock silencer fitting. I know this as those people who want to fit a stock cat and PPE manifold have had to weld them together...
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Jap GT300

Damn, I thought that was the case.

This will be a permanent performance mod then.  I just hope it still passes emissions without the main CAT.  The car hasn't been SVA tested yet so maybe I can pass it with the CAT then swap the pipes, weld them together and then for the MOTs claim it was purchased without a CAT so that it has a special emissions run, like the MR2 turbos.

Thanks for the info Grant

GSB

Heres a picture of a standard manifold with the flange that connects to the cat... courtesy of madmigmr2

and heres a picture of the ppe manifold that mates to your downpipe...

As you can see, the two are completely different beasts...

Jap GT300

There should be an extention on the bottom of the standard manifold a
2->1, which then goes to the cat.  I can see how it would bolt straight to the PPE one but i was wondering if i could buy the small piece of pipe between the cat and Manifold.

Does that make sense?

markiii

The extension you are refering to is actually part of the pipe with the main cat. it's all factory welded and has 2 flex joints where it mates to the stock manifold, a bit of pipe, the main cat, a bit of pipe with the 02 sensor bung in it and then a flange for attaching to the cat back exhaust with the silencer.

Personally I'd just get the PPE header as well.  A Dastek will solve the emmisions problem as if the fuel map is correct you can pass the emissions test without any cats at all.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jap GT300

It will probably be cheaper oredring the PPE header than getting a small 2>1 piece of pipe made up.  It would never have the flex of the original one either.

I wonder if in the US their pipe that we are refering to (main cat, 2>1 downpipe) is in one piece as well or if it is split in to and flanged.

Thanks Adam

markiii

pretty sure their pipe is the same as ours.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

This may be of some help to you, Its the US version, but its the same as my car...

And these are the PPE parts:

As you can see, (and you'll have to use your imagination here, as the angles are all wrong in thes photos, for instance the view of the cat is from underneath...) The ppe header is longer than stock, but the cat / cat replacement pipe, is correspondingly shorter...

Jap GT300

The piece of the pipe I was refering to is highlighted in this picture.  If it was possible to get a copy of this section made then there would be no need for the PPE header.

Alternatively I could get a used one and chop it to size, or as i was hoping the US may have a different style to us where it is bolted on rather than wealded to the CAT.

GSB

Sorry, as you can see, thats the US version, same as ours (the parts prices are all in US dollars)

If its just a cat replacment pipe you are after, you could try Hayward and Scott? Something simple like that wouldn't take them long. Alternatively you could cut the cat section out of the stock unit and weld in piece of pipe instead.

Tem

Quote from: "GSB"If its just a cat replacment pipe you are after, you could try Hayward and Scott? Something simple like that wouldn't take them long.

If you go there, you might as well ask them about our header  s;) ;) s;)

I'm starting to like the idea of their exhaust (wanna see someone dyno it though)...and the idea of their manifold mating with their exhaust sounds even better.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I believe Markiii and SteveJ have been/already are in discussion with H&S about header/downpipe/cat replacements...

Anonymous

Markii & Steve,
What IS the score with the H&S manifold - are they developing anything? I recently emailed them asking about developing a manifold but they just replied that there was only a catback system available. Of course I knew this and actually wanted an answer to the question I asked.

If there's any news let me know - I'm after a 4-2 manifold with 2 O2 bosses as per the TRD but preferably with equal length pipes and presumably at a lower cost than the price we end up paying if importing a TRD.

If there's ever a group buy mooted then count me in.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Tags: