Blooming Langka Stuff

Started by Anonymous, August 19, 2003, 19:35

Anonymous

Right, who has actually used this?

I have tried to use it over the last few days and it just keeps taking off ALL new new paint i put on.... i use it as instucted but it seems to take the paint out of the chip not just above it.... anyone got any good hints to get this to work?

Anonymous

Let the paint dry?

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens"Let the paint dry?

haha! left if for over 24 hours to be sure... still takes it all off....

Anonymous

You recomended me a dodgy product?

I've not tried mine yet, may wait a while   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Yeah i know, i can see how it should work - it just works too well! LOL!

Might go to the Mer kit instead but that means using abrasives....   s:? :? s:?    s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

I use Langka without any trouble. I wrap the plastic card tight with a bit of cotton cloth. I then tend to flex it backwards gently with the langka and gently it rub in a perpendicular direction to the chip itself. I usually find the chip needs a couple of touch ups to build up a layer of paint and then Langka.

Once I get my digital camera back I will try my hand at a short video and pop it on my web site as I have a few repairs to do.

Are you using it on stone chips or scratches?

Anonymous

I'll watch this thread with interest as I was going to buy some of that stuff to do my paint chips. Got a nasty deep bugger on the bonnet just above the headlight.

Liz

I have a pot of Langka sitting at home which I want to do the chips on the door with, it mentions clear coat over the normal paint, has anyone used the clear coat and if so did you get it from Mr T?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Hope4Sun

I touched a couple of big chips up on my 2 before i sold it using Langka, i noticed it lifting the paint too, so i built the paint up over a couple of days then left it for a few, used gently got it nice and smooth, i little cut & polish to even it up and some clear coat, job done (sounds easy  s:oops: :oops: s:oops: ).

I used the the clear coat that came with the touch up kit from Mr T, i gave up after a couple of chips with clear coat though as you need to polish it in as well, to smooth it and i could not notice the un-clear coated reapairs any way.

I've just been doing a friends car that shes trying to sell, she bought one of the Halfold touch up kits, i have to say the paint applicators are the best i've used (like a needle), i little rubbing down with some fine wet& dry, a little compounding, then a final cut and polish, not a mark to be seen and its a black car  s:) :) s:)  (took a 3 days to do though, with building up the paint each time)

Andy
R35 GTR<br />X Sable 05 Roadster To many mods to list

Liz

I just got a little third of a litre pot of paint with my car, shall see if Mr T have got some clear coat when I go in there tomorrow.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Tem

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"
Quote from: "cstevens"Let the paint dry?

haha! left if for over 24 hours to be sure... still takes it all off....

How about letting it really dry for two weeks or so...?

Painters usually say not to use wax or pressure washer for two weeks after painting. I'm sure they don't say that just to mess with us  s:) :) s:)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

Well i looked this morning and i need to add another layer of paint to one of the chips which i will do tonight - i will then maybe wait till friday or saturday till i use it again - thanks for the tips guys! (& gals!)

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"I just got a little third of a litre pot of paint with my car, shall see if Mr T have got some clear coat when I go in there tomorrow.

That sounds like real paint, rather than touch-up paint. AFAIK, they use different solvents, and Langka will only "dissolve" the latter (which is what stops is dissolving off all your paintwork   s:o :o s:o  )

The touch-up kit consists of two small (about 5-10ml?) bottles with brushes in the caps (like a Matchpot colour tester), one colour, one lacquer/clearcoat. I think you only need the latter on metallics anyway (and I've found best results by mixing the two before application about 60:40, rather than two seperate coats).

Anonymous

Kris!!!

You were my guru on this and I got no problems with it. The first chip I tried, I also had the same effect as you, but on closer inspection of the instructions, it does say to alter the pressure you rub at, getting lighter towards the end of the polish. If you rub hard (ish) for the first 10-15 secs and then REALLY ease of the pressure and gently rub against the grain of the chip, then it really does come up an absolute treat and you can't tell between the original and the touched paint. I thought it was EXCELLENT stuff, but you DO have to be careful how you use it.

Also, some of the REALLY deep chips I have noticed are going to need a couple more treatments. I have done one of them, a very deep one on the front wheel arch and it took me about 4 coats using a 1:1 ratio of paint/laquer and a cocktail stick to put the paint into the chip. But after about the 4th coat, the paint had bedded into the chip deep enough and now I can't tell it was there.

Hope all this helps. Just be patient and if you feel some of it needs recoating, then so be it. It WILL get good, just stick with it.

Anonymous

I know, give out all the advice and ignore it myself!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

Its going to take a few days to build up the amount of paint i need to fill in the chips... i was jsut being impatient i guess   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:? :? s:?  

*hangs head in shame and walks away* - i will try again this weekend.

Anonymous

s:o :o s:o    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:o :o s:o    s8) 8) s8)    s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D    s:) :) s:)    s:( :( s:(    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:P :P s:P    s:x :x s:x    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

So the problem is that Kris "rubs too hard"

s:o :o s:o    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:o :o s:o    s8) 8) s8)    s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D    s:) :) s:)    s:( :( s:(    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:P :P s:P    s:x :x s:x    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

CLASSIC! absolute CLASSIC!

Anonymous

Quote from: "cstevens":o   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:o :o s:o    s8) 8) s8)    s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:D :D s:D    s:) :) s:)    s:( :( s:(    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:P :P s:P    s:x :x s:x    s:cry: :cry: s:cry:    s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:  

So the problem is that Kris "rubs too hard"

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

cstevens wrote:
QuoteSo the problem is that Kris "rubs too hard"

I had to laugh..........  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Kris, no need for shame mate. I was going to give up to until I re-read the instuctions and tried to do it word for word. And then realised that however much paint I put in some chips, because of the depth of the chip it was ALWAYS going to need more than one coat.

S'good stuff. Hang in there!!!  s:D :D s:D

filcee

Quote from: "pmdye"
Quote from: "Liz"I just got a little third of a litre pot of paint with my car, shall see if Mr T have got some clear coat when I go in there tomorrow.

That sounds like real paint, rather than touch-up paint. AFAIK, they use different solvents, and Langka will only "dissolve" the latter (which is what stops is dissolving off all your paintwork   s:o :o s:o  )

The touch-up kit consists of two small (about 5-10ml?) bottles with brushes in the caps (like a Matchpot colour tester), one colour, one lacquer/clearcoat. I think you only need the latter on metallics anyway (and I've found best results by mixing the two before application about 60:40, rather than two seperate coats).

Yep - the pot is real paint.  That's what I had with my 2001 car.  I've just had the touch up paint for my Sable 2003 come through the post from the dealers.  The new stuff is the small bottles you mention.  I'm dreading using it. If it's anything like the touch up kit for my wife's Leon, it'll be like trying to repair scratches with concrete and a shovel!  The paint pot paint was lovely and thin, and you could put it on with a really fine modelling brush.  OK, it may have taken four or five layers to build up a decent coat, but it was nice to do, and the results were good even just using Autoglym polish to flatten the paint after touching up.

I'm interested to see the mini-video suggested elsewhere in this thread ... I already have a scratch on my loverly new car (grrrrr..... big twigs in the road that I didn't see   s:( :( s:(   ) and I'm keen to get rid of it as soon as possible.
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"If you rub hard (ish) for the first 10-15 secs and then REALLY ease of the pressure and gently rub against the grain of the chip, then it really does come up an absolute treat ....

So Ive heard...  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:

Anonymous

WHEY HEY!!!!

BOOM BOOM!!!!  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Tags: