Help me - just bought a roadster

Started by Anonymous, August 18, 2005, 23:28

Anonymous

Hi all,

Im just new here, so thanks already to Liz for the welcome message.

I bought a 2000 x-reg black roadster last friday with 36k on the clock, FSH, all old MoTs etc etc.

By monday I had to return the car to the dealership for repairs for the following reasons:

1) I have had to put 5L of oil in the engine in 3 days of usage,
2) The engine is burning oil,
3) there is a real loss of power,
4) there is oil leaking from somewhere as there is oil on the underside of the "Nappy"
5) There is a slight ticking sound.

The car came with a 6 month warranty but this is capped at £1000.

I have done a lot of reading into loads of other posts on the site about "Precat Failure" and I'm beginning to get the impression its an inevitability as opposed to a possibilty.

I was wondering if anybody could help me out with a few pointers though:

1) Will toyota carry out a repair on the car because its only 36k with fsh?

2) The car was MoT'd by the garage on the morning which i bought it. If the car was burning oil and running so irreguarly, it doesnt make sense that it could pass an emissions test for the MoT. Consequently, I never received the emissions printout with the MoT so this makes me think that there may be a bit of hoarseplay going on. Anybody any idea if this would affect the emissions test?

3) Ive been a bit put off of the mr2 with all the talk of the engine failures etc, so in all honesty i dont really want the car any more. I would also be under the impression that the garage would be better off refunding me and selling the car at market than trying to fit a new engine and exhaust. Does anybody know in clarity the law regarding refunds on cars which are faulty and not fit for their purpose as at the moment I would really refer to get my money back???

Any help which anybody could offer would be a great help, as the whole hassle with this car has really depressed me.

Thanks in advance,

Richie.

markiii

sounds like the sales description act to me.

goods required to be fit for purpose?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Don't let it put you off the '2, its a great car.  Sounds like they have tried to rip you off with a car whose engine is about to blow   s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

cheers guys, but even if i were to get it all fixed up etc i am still concerned that all the problems with the mr2 egnine will cause the residual values of the car to drop significantly.

Also, has it been proven that gutting the precats out of the manifold is the definitive preventative measure?

markiii

define proven?

your never going to be able to gather enough info to definatively prove it.

however we know what happens if they go, so removing them will obviously prevent that problem.

is it cause or effect, who knows?
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Liz

Hi Richie,

Your welcome for the welcome!!

Have a look on Here to see if this is of any help, but as Mark said, not fit for the purpose under the sale of goods act would more than apply.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

try your local trading standards for pointers and guidance

Anonymous

cheers guys & gal,

Im going to the garage where the car is presently being repaired this afternoon for a look at the precats and so on. Im also printing off stuff from here to show that this is a common problem and that the engine & exhaust is at the stage where it would now need replaced to solve this problem, as it is burning oil heavily.

Hopefully this should convince them to give me a refund and for them to put the car through a market or something as this would be everybodies best option all round.

I am so disapointed though as i took out the loan to buy myself the car for my 21st birthday (im too good to myself) and it was back in the garage before my birthday   s:( :( s:(  

sigh...

Anonymous

I've just received a bit of excellent news!!

Toyota have confirmed that they are aware of the problem and are going to be fitting a brand new engine and exhaust system to my car, as they have now extended the warranty to 5 years / 60,000 miles.

My car goes into linwood toyota on monday morning to have the old engine stripped down and so on as toyota need to confirm that this is defo. the problem that has affected my car, but this shouldn't pose too much of an issue I hope.

Last night i asked the guy at the garage who are presently looking at my car to remove the lambda sensors and to inspect the precats, and in doing so he said that there was nothing there whatsoever. I dont know whether this is because of somebody gutting it or because it has eventually fallen apart, but you get the idea.

They said that they haven't had this problem with any mr2's so far, but it has happend with 3 or 4 avensis with the 1.8vvti engine and it has been replaced on these a few times.

Il top up this post with further information as i get it, but for the meantime il need to make do with a honda accord 2.0 vtec executive as a courtesy car.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

I hope the confirmation of an extended warranty helps out some people who are a bit woried about their '2 at present.

Cheers,

Richie.

heathstimpson

Quote from: "Richie"I've just received a bit of excellent news!!

Toyota have confirmed that they are aware of the problem and are going to be fitting a brand new engine and exhaust system to my car, as they have now extended the warranty to 5 years / 60,000 miles.
Will the warrenty be extended for all Toyotas under 5years old or only newly registered ones I wonder  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

QuoteWill the warrenty be extended for all Toyotas under 5years old or only newly registered ones I wonder

Well, mines is a 2000 and i bought it from a private dealership (Not a toyota garage) so if toyota are choosing to repair mines, i dont see why they wouldn't do any others.

Again, I haven't seen it in writing that toyota are definately extending the warranties but from looking at other posts from other people, its not the first time that the warranty extension has been mentioned.

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"

Will the warrenty be extended for all Toyotas under 5years old or only newly registered ones I wonder  s:?: :?: s:?:

Interesting  s:) :) s:)   And will they refund the 360quid I paid for an extended warranty I wonder?

I reckon this'll be an "if you have a problem and complain enough" type offer  s:) :) s:)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "phil4"

Interesting  s:) :) s:)   And will they refund the 360quid I paid for an extended warranty I wonder?

I reckon this'll be an "if you have a problem and complain enough" type offer  s:) :) s:)
Which is good news if you blow an engine or something; extended warrenty probably not needed then.

Anonymous

Which is good news if you blow an engine or something; extended warrenty probably not needed then.

Hehehe, what an optimist  s:) :) s:)

heathstimpson

Hehehe, what an optimist  s:) :) s:)
Yes my glass is always half full  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

I agree that its probably a "if you make a fuss about it" situation. I think toyota probably see it as something they don't want to publicise for the following reasons:

1) bad publicity for their "reliability reputation"

2) they would be opening a can of worms where anybody with this engine, problems or not, would go flooding to the dealership demanding a new engine in case it happend to their car.

Richie.

heathstimpson

It does look bad on Toyota when any engines with relatively low mileage are not lasting  s:? :? s:?

ninjinski

Its worrying though as for them to extend the warranty (as good an offer as it is) tells us the engine is an unreliable one and they know it.

Does'nt instill me with great confidence and the 50:50 chance of them extending the warranty after the 3 year warranty expires would still make me want to change the car at the 3 year point!

Wonder will you get a 3 year warranty on new engine and exhaust system? Do you know?
Sable

PERF: TTE TURBO & exhaust, BC Coilovers Markii inlet TRD brace SP Downpipe Exedy Cerametalic Clutch TRD Short Shifter w brass bushings EBC discs/pads OMP steering wheel, front diffuser
ICE: JVC headunit JBL P652s Alpine SWD1600 & 2000 woofers Kenwood 600W amp
EXTERNAL: Mr T spoiler. black brake calipers Dynamat Toyota dust caps Dev\'s keyhole covers Simon\'s hairpins
INTERNAL: Red leather Carbon sill guards TRD stickers Mongo deflectors Chrome gear & dial surrounds Gregg\'s custom logo plate Taurec gauges

darrenjuggins

I'm interested in this extended bit....

I think you will probably find the truth is something more akin to good will on behalf of Toyota knowing the problems with the engine.

I suspect that the 5 year extention is only on the engine, due to the failures on the 1ZZ and not the other items that are failing, such as Steering Pumps, MAF Sensors, Break Discs, etc.

Therefore, for peace of mind the proper extended warranty is still good value.... (I would say that after about £8k's worth of work in total).

Cheers

Darren

PS - I will ask about this "extension" at my local dealer.
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

I would tend to agree with what Darren is saying, the details I have given have been relayed to me from the foreman of the garage where my car is presently, so they may be subject to chinese whispers...

To clarify, it is most likely as follows:

1) The car itself has a 3 year warranty on all parts from new.
2) to avoid publicity of a design fault etc, toyota have decided to repair / replace engines damaged by "Precat Failure" and any components damaged subsequently, e.g. exhaust systems, providing they are newer than 5 years old and below 60k.
3) I would assume the above is on a discretionary basis and is dealt with on a case-by-case basis.
4) As no other components / faults are covered by the above, I would also agree that an extended warranty is a valuable investment, afterall some people are saying they have had £8000 of repairs so far.

Another question i have for all the other '2 roadsters owners is about the brake discs - what is the problem with them????

When i bought my '2, i took it for a test drive and the brake pedal was thumping when i braked and there was a clunking noise when i steered. I had put it down to warped discs from hard use, however the dealership phoned me to say that one of the discs was cracked, and they had replaced all four discs and the brake pads. This repaired the problem anyway, so I was happy enough with this.

Cheers,

Richie.

darrenjuggins

Hi Richie,

The Brake Discs are very good on the roadster, it sounds like you have been unlucky with yours.

Normal problems are excessive rusting on the outer vains, which dosen't effect performance, but looks a bit crappy and also the hubs can discolour.

Other than that, normal usage shouldn't see any problems with the discs or pads, which perform very well.

Now they have been replaced, I would forget about them as they pretty bulit proof bar the above mentioned.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Cool mate, I was just wondering, but like you say, its not a problem as I now have a nice shiney new set of them.

Anonymous

Any thoughts as to whether I can use this extended waranty to sort my very similar problem.

m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8159 m

Only problem is mine is an import with very little history !

darrenjuggins

Questions to ask first:

1. When did you purchase the extended warranty ? (is it the one purchased from the dealer)

2. When you say import - what type of import - a Europe Import (i.e. Motorpoint, Belgium, etc, etc) or a Japanese Import, i.e. like the one Jap300 brings in ?

Once you have answered the above:

depending on the answers will depend on what you may / may not be able to get done.

My car had full dealer service history (at the same dealer) as well as extended warranty being taken out prior to the three year point.  

Basically the engine problem - was either going to be covered under Extended warranty or toyota, in the end I think one paid for the cats, exhaust, etc and then Toyota paid for the block.

As for routine maitaince, basically the car's normally get an oil change, so as long as yours has received this, I would say you should have a fairly good change of them sorting it under warranty (as long as the answers to the above are correct).

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Maybe im confused, I thought this thread was suggesting that Toyota had admitted that there was a problem with their engines and was offering to sort any engines that had died in this pre cat related way.

Is that not the case then ?    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Tags: