Help me - just bought a roadster

Started by Anonymous, August 18, 2005, 23:28

darrenjuggins

Hi,

I think the thread would suggest that, but I would love someone to be able to get an offical letter saying that.

I think the case is "engine Failures" will be looked upon with some sympathy and a contribution or full replacement may be offered if the curcumstances are correct.

This "5 Years" warranty on engines would be excellent, but I beleive it's maybe its an "only known to the dealer" information.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

The best thing you can do is go along to a few toyota dealers and ask them mate, theres nothing to lose.

Richie.

Anonymous

Think thats exactly what im gonna do.

Soon as ive put my maifold, exhaust etc back together after gutting the pre cats.

Anonymous

A little bit of info for anybody taking their car in to toyota:

One of the things they require is to measure your oil consumption under various conditions, so basically they want you to do 1000 miles and see how much oil it uses, whichi is a bit of a pain in the arse to be honest.

Because my car is so bad, they are allowing me to just have 100 miles done and then they will take it on. Basically, after 53 miles, my engine had used 3 litres of oil, so at the moment my car is almost using more oil than petrol lol.

the car goes back in to toyota today, so i will post any more updates as i get them.

Cheers,

Richie.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Richie"...... Basically, after 53 miles, my engine had used 3 litres of oil,.....
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

darrenjuggins

Tee, Hee....

They got me to do the same, I did 200 miles and had used most of the oil, therefore being 200 miles away from the toyota garage I rang them and said if you think I'm bringing it back without filling it up, you better think again !

Needless to say I topped her up and had a nice drive back and then stright in the garage as soon as afterwards.

The garage seemed quite happy for me just to keep topping up until they could get it in for all the work, the only issue was the amount of oil I was getting through! it was nearly costing me as much as the petrol !

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Well, it seems that toyota have completely changed their minds and are not doing my car under warranty - they have told me this themselves when i phoned them directly - im so angry because thats me been without the car for around 3 weeks now and nothing has been done!!

anyway, I'm not sure what to do now - either demand my money back from the dealership or find another engine for the car and have the dealership pay for it.

I still havent spoken to them yet.

any suggestions on where to go next with this one?  s:( :( s:(

darrenjuggins

Hi Richie,

So Toyota have called you direct !?

Seems strange it's normally the garage that do all the running about.

What a strange situation, you say you have a warranty but its capped ? who buy ? was it a Toyota Warranty ? if it was there is no capping at all !

You need to speak to your garage, cos if it's in bits, they are going to want someone to pick up the bill !

Sorry to hear that you are having such a poor time, please keep us all informed.

Cheers

Darren J
Darren A. Juggins

Anonymous

Cheers for the sympathy Darren, I'l clarify the situation for you a little....

I bought the car at the beginning of august from a private dealer. This included a 6 month warranty from motorcare plc, however this warranty was only upto £1000.

The morning I picked the car up, it just had its oil & filter change so i never thought to check the oil. I began to notice blue smoke out the car when i accelerated and realised that the car didnt have a great deal of power. 2 days later, the oil pressure light came on and the engine was making a horrible thudding sound (like big end bearings gone) I bought oil for it and topped it up which did help but the following morning i took it back to the garage i bought it from.

one of the engineers there heard that toyota were warranty repairing the 1zz-fe engines suffering this precat failure where the cars were under 5 years old / 60k. They referred my car to linwood toyota where the car is now.

Basically, linwood toyota then did the consumption tests and found my car burnt 3 litres of oil in 50 miles  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

after a week, I heard nothing else so decided to phone linwood toyota for myself. They told me that they werent going to repair my car as it was older than 3 years so no longer under the standard manufacturers warranty.

I then took matters into my own hands and phoned toyota GB myself and spoke to customer relations. They took my details and said they would phone me back, which they never.

Then yesterday, I phoned them back with my reference to see what was happening. They told me that sometimes they will do the repair under goodwill providing the car has a full TOYOTA DEALERSHIP service history and is within suitable age and mileage. they then continued to say that the toyota dealership would be responsible for paying a contribution towards the work.

Finally they said that there is no good will policy on the toyota mr2 so therefore there is nothing to cover it. She told me that it was only the avensis with this engine which was covered.

so basically, thats me upto where I am.

Ive just had a phone call from jap spares ltd to say that they have an engine with 4000 miles on it, and they want £1395 & £60 delivery then vat on top of that so il let the dealership know   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  

I still dunno if i'd be better off just asking for my money back then buying another mr2, but i don't know if i'd get another one at such a good price.

PLEASE HELP  s:( :( s:(  

Richie.

Darth Paul

Get your money back and buy another. You will find another at a similar price, especially as the summer is coming to an end. Get rid!

roger

Quote from: "Richie"She told me that it was only the avensis with this engine which was covered.

Very interesting. If Toyota admit the engine has a problem why are they being selective about which car its in?
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

I got this one at £7600 so i only took a loan out for that amount. The problem is, now I would need to find another one at this price as i dont have any other money to put towards it and I would say its probably rare to find one within this budget, especially in black with leather, 17s, UK spec.

unless anybody knows of any going for this amount?

Richie.

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"
Quote from: "Richie"She told me that it was only the avensis with this engine which was covered.

Very interesting. If Toyota admit the engine has a problem why are they being selective about which car its in?

I couldn't agree more!!!

roger

Worth an arguement, by somebody else I reckon, but I still say for you Ritchie, the very bet deal is get your money back.
Roger

Anonymous

Im just off the phone to toyota asking that very question.

The answer....

"It has been a more common issue on avensis models therefore a procedure has been put in place. At present, it is a rare issue on the MR2 so it is dealt with on a case-by-case basis"

when i said that it was the exact same engine so it shouldn't matter she said she was not technical and offered to put me through to a toyota service department who were technical, but i declined saying that my question was policy based, not technical.

great load of use they were!!

Darth Paul

Quote from: "Richie"I got this one at £7600 so i only took a loan out for that amount. The problem is, now I would need to find another one at this price as i dont have any other money to put towards it and I would say its probably rare to find one within this budget, especially in black with leather, 17s, UK spec.

unless anybody knows of any going for this amount?

Richie.

Take the wheels off? Put some second hand MR2 ones on. Ebay, here? They can be picked up very cheap. Especially if they need reconditioning.

Anonymous

my only concern with that is all of the ebay ones seem to be quite far away from me and i wouldn't bid on a car without seeing it first.

Even then, If i saw one out of ebay, id probably prefer to buy it outwith the auction if i could.

Anonymous

Well, i eventually had enough of all the BS from:

Arnold clark linwood Toyota, Toyota GB, braehead motor co and renfrew motor engineers

and have now officially returned the car to get my money back.

SO IF ANYBODY KNOWS OF ANY ROADSTERS GOING AT A GOOD PRICE, PLEASE PM ME OR REPLY HERE.

Im after a UK car with decent miles, colour not too much of an issue, although i dont really like green or yellow (no offence to those with those colours)

cheers,

richie.

roger

Well done. You can now breathe a sigh of relief, and start again.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Roger

Liz

Quote from: "Richie"...... but i don't know if i'd get another one at such a good price.

Well done on getting a refund, re your above quote don't you think that the reason it was at that price is because they were aware maybe of the problem?
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

nah, because they would never have accepted the car as a trade in in the first place if they knew that. Even if they found out whilst it was on the forecourt, i think they would have stuck it through an auction and saved themselves the hassle.

Im just glad all the hassle is over (Hopefully) and am looking forward to getting a good example of a '2 now.

Richie.

Anonymous

Well more or less the same happend to me 2 days and lot of oil and my 2000 mr2 went back the problem i have is because they started repairing it I cant get a refund now. They have had it 2-3 weeks and have sent the engine away because the piston rings went?!

It sound like it is having a good repair job  what do you think?

its due back on thursday/friday

darrenjuggins

Jimbo - Piston Rings / Bore wear, same issue as all the other failures, if they do the full kit replacement, you will have a very sound engine once again.

consider it a heart transplant, but without the problem of having to take drugs for rejection.

Cheers

Darren J

PS. Suprised it's had to "go away" my garage did it themselves, thought it was great fun, normally they just tinker, but loved having an engine rebuild to do.
Darren A. Juggins

Jap GT300

I can do you a silver 2000 import with AC for £7600?  Mileage is around 25,000

darrenjuggins

Richie - Snap and Hand come to mind with Adams offer !
Darren A. Juggins

Tags: