Discussion ref TTE Turbo

Started by markiii, September 9, 2005, 10:04

markiii

Guys,

please discuss here any comments on

m http://www.mr2roc.org/subdreamer/index. ... ticleid=49 m
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Ernie Ball

Whoah.

I'm a little confused by this line, however:

QuoteFor Japanese and other overseas markets production of the MR-S will continue until 2007. Once the 100 cars have been sold it can be ordered indivually until production stops.

If that's so, what's the significance of the 100 figure?  Seems like, in reality, the number is unlimited.

kanujunkie

not quite Steve, you must take into account Friedel's slighlty less than 100% english. What he was saying here i beleive is that the MR2 Roadster will be available till 2007 for the Japanese and oversea's market but that they will also be produceing a limited edition model of 100 cars fitted out with the TTE turbo kit

as for the figure of 100 cars, probably because its a nice round figure  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

philster_d

they are making 100 cars to sell as complete, then you can only order the kit maybe ?

kanujunkie

correct, and to start with you can order the kit at a discounted price from the Essen show
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

guys thats pretty much teh way I interpreted it, though I will clarify any questions as soon as Freidel responds to my reply.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

I'm going to disagree with this line!
"It's a pity but the car doesn't meet the Euro 4 emission standard which become legal requirement from January next year onwards."

The Euro 4 emission standard has these maximum limits:
CO 1.00
HC 0.10
NOx 0.08

1ZZ-FE goes under those limits easily:
CO 0.37
HC 0.03
NOx 0.01

If it didn't, how on earth could Toyota continue selling the same engine in other cars anyway??

2ZZ-GE engines are discontinued because they go over those values with:
CO 1.21
HC 0.10
NOx 0.08

But I don't believe that's the real reason as the 2ZZ-GE in Lotus passes the limits with:
CO 0.67
HC 0.06
NOx 0.06

Go figure...but 1ZZ-FE passes Euro 4 without being even close, so that's not the real reason why it won't be sold in Europe anymore.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

Tem,

Personally I had the same thought, however that is teh official line.

philster_d

Its tempting but i did a bit of searching and it seems under powered, unless they have done futher developments since mid last year.

markiii

based on driving the prototpye it's how the roadster should have come.

and was probably around as quick as mine (when I took you out)

the question is if you need more power or not?

kanujunkie

still thought it was underpowered myself though Mark, at 184Bhp, i would have thought they would have made the 200Bhp mark at least even if they left it at that  s:? :? s:?  perhaps as you say its what best suits the MR2
[size=100]Stu[/size]

philster_d

What if you got the kit then added uprated injectors etc could you up it? would it bum the price alot ?

does it include an e-manage or similar ?

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"Personally I had the same thought, however that is the official line.

Yeah, I know  s:? :? s:?

Quote from: "philster_d"What if you got the kit then added uprated injectors etc could you up it? would it bum the price alot ?

Of course you can mod it afterwards, just like any N/A or turbo car  s;) ;) s;)  I'm sure they won't be offering much updates though, as they all would need to be TÜV certified and tested and tested and tested...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

in answer to both Stu and Phil.

Mine is running at 5PSI at the moment and while arguably a bigger turbo (on mine) that to me indicates there isn't a lot in it.

from memory the prototype felt a little slower, however bear in mind that was running on an SMT and left hand drive, which somewhat skewed teh comparison.

Having seen teh difference in the PE recently when now fitted to Bens Manual box, and previosuly on Martins SMT, It was a whole diffeerent experience. I'm expectign the same can be said about teh TTE.

The TTE Turbo uses a piggyback of TTEs own design, rather than an emanage.

and while TMC are stipulating the power levels it can be sold with someone did once offer to send us the maps to hit 200bhp.

ref the injectors, yes they could be upgraded after the fact, as could you decat and so on. Though TTE will only be selling it in one spec.

Worth mentioning as I touched on above is that as this is a factory kit, the main cat is still present. and the stock exhaust was also on the prototype we drove.

This can be changed as per any other car after teh fact, and I would imagine more power would be liberated as a result.

Using Phil as an example, you already have the H&S exhaust so personally I'd expect it to make better numbers on yours.

philster_d

And so going on from what you said.... can you insur ethis as a factory fit option ?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "philster_d"And so going on from what you said.... can you insur ethis as a factory fit option ?

well it is factory fitted so i'd have said yes. Other cars come with factory fitted turbo's, the only thing is whether you can find an insurance company who knows what one of these are  s:? :? s:?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

I think thats a fair question and probably Stu is correct.

I would personaly Tell an insurance company that it is an offical Toyota Accessory (which is true), and see what if anything they require as proof.

The snag from y point iof view is that implies if you ever claim for an accident repair they will be able to get official Toyota parts. Which is unlikely froma  amin dealer in teh UK.

If you want to check with yoru insurance co where tehy stand I will ask Freidel any questions we need to clarify.

BenF

Mark,

Ta for posting this over on IMOC as well.

Two things from the message:

1. The Roadster will continue to be made until 2007

2. It looks like Toyota Japan are just selling the TTE kit with some other mods just before the model run closes..?

I was just thinking about Mazda launching a Turbo'd MX5 about 9-12 months before the new MX5 was launched recently - it could be a response to this, or maybe TTE need to shift all the turbo kits they've got in  s;) ;) s;)  as there are kits available from a number of aftermarket sources at price points well below theirs at the moment.

For me, if I had to make a decision as to which turbo kit to go with again I'd be seriously looking at the C2-power kit, but with a custom charcooler rather than a rear mounted intercooler, as you will always have problems with airflow and intercooler efficency with that kind of a location, exactly as the Mk2 does.

But I'm currently very happy with the PE turbo on mine - the turbo may be in need of a rebuild in the not too distant future -  but even driving in to work this morning it caused a reality check when I pinned the throttle to the floor - 220bhp in 1000kgs makes for stunning accelleration.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

kanujunkie

well i've just gone down to my dealer and asked the Q, "where do i sign up?", after a puzzled look from the salesmen followed by a "we dont do a turbo'd MR2" so i pulled out the trusty laptop with the details, he looked at me in astonishment and said "i'd better look into this", so i should have a price tag for you before i go away  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  whether i keep my name on the order list, we'll first theres the mrs  s:? :? s:?  then theres the cost........
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

The whole thing is beyond my budget at the moment   s:( :( s:(  

But can anyone clarify:

- What will the new MPG figures be?

- What appearance mods if any does the conversion include?

- Does anyone want to buy a granny for 5,000euros?!

dreambackup

can anyone confirm this kit includes an intercooler?

what are the chassis upgrade they mention? can they lower the price of the kit if we don't need them?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

what about factory warranty?

185hp is a bit low but there figures are quite ok! I'd sign for this one over Hass if I'm sure is really good (and eventually can be improved easily!)  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

markiii

Stu,

I took th email to imply that the LTD edition was available in Japan only through Netz Dealers.

However, good luck I hope I'm wrong, if you could buy one in teh Uk even I might be tempted.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "hibbyni"- What will the new MPG figures be?

not sure will get back to you on that

Quote from: "hibbyni"- What appearance mods if any does the conversion include?
none, its just the turbo kit, if you want more then sign quick for one of the 100 TTE MR2 Turbo's, but i wouldn't hold your breathe

Quote from: "hibbyni"- Does anyone want to buy a granny for 5,000euros?!

hhhhhhhhhmmmmmmm, let me think about that for a second...........
[size=100]Stu[/size]

kanujunkie

Quote from: "markiii"Stu,

I took th email to imply that the LTD edition was available in Japan only through Netz Dealers.

However, good luck I hope I'm wrong, if you could buy one in the Uk even I might be tempted.

yeah i took it to mean that as well, but i thought i'd chance my luck, forever hopeful, mind you my chances are easier of getting the car over here than gtting it past the mrs  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

markiii

theres a cheap HAss kit for sale in the US (Jared wrecked his car) if that helps  :-) :-) :-)

Tags: