Discussion ref TTE Turbo

Started by markiii, September 9, 2005, 10:04

TommyD

Mark,
Have you seen the new bracing on the 04/05 models? I had a quick look at one the other day and it didn't look too impressive compared to the braces you can buy.
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

markiii

the stuff I saw on Grants looked like a huge improvement.

but bear in mind yours is an 03?

models liek mine have even less than yours as standard.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

markiii

guys,

I've just heard back from TTEwith regard to warranties and teh situations is as follows.

Case 1: Installation into a new vehicle
We(Toyota Motorsport GmbH) provide 3 years warranty or 100.000km, what ever comes first, on all parts included in the Turbo kit and for consequential damages. It's synchronized with the standard new car warranty.
By that we close the gap for cases in which the warranty might be rejected by the dealer respectively the national distributor.
Of cause the route course for consequential damage has to be proven.

Case 2: Vehicles within the new car warranty and less then 40.000 km on the clock at date of installation We(Toyota Motorsport GmbH) provide warranty for the remaining new vehicle warranty period up to 100.000km, what ever comes first, on all parts included in the Turbo kit and for consequential damages.
For the parts included in the Turbo kit our warranty is 3 years.

Case 3: Vehicles within the new car warranty and more then 40.000 km on the clock at date of installation
3 years warranty on the parts included in the Turbo kit. No warranty for consequential damages.

Case 4: Vehicles after the new car warranty is finished and less then 40.000 km on the clock at date of installation
3 years warranty on the parts included in the Turbo kit. No warranty for consequential damages.

Case 5: Vehicles after the new car warranty is finished and more then 40.000 km on the clock at date of installation

with regard to US availability.

This Kit will not be sold as CARB certified for California (which is not to say it won't pass)

Friedel is meeting with TRD USA at the SEMA show in November and it looks liek it will be available via them

enquiries shoudl be made to

TRD  E200
TOYOTA Motor Sales
19001 S Western Avenue
Torrance,CA 90501
E-mail:  e www.trdusa.com w
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Tem

Quote from: "markiii"Case 3: Vehicles within the new car warranty and more then 40.000 km on the clock at date of installation

Case 4: Vehicles after the new car warranty is finished and less then 40.000 km on the clock at date of installation

Case 5: Vehicles after the new car warranty is finished and more then 40.000 km on the clock at date of installation

Are these cases identical, or am I missing something?  s:? :? s:?

And isn't that basically saying that there's no warranty for the engine itself, just the parts?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

markiii

I read that the same way.

TommyD

So basically, if your car it out of original 3 year warranty or done more than 25K and this kit blows up your engine......bad luck
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

aaronjb

Yup that's how I read it too - which, frankly, means you might as well buy a C2 power/Hass/PE kit unless the TUV approval is really important to you (like, legally necessary. Not that that stopped you, eh Tem?  s;) ;) s;) )
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"Not that that stopped you, eh Tem?  s;) ;) s;)

Obviously I'm only driving in closed areas, like tracks and my backyard  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

There's always the Muggianu turbokit that's TÜV approved. I asked them if I could get a copy of the approval paper, so I can check it with local authorities in advance, cause they are a bit fussy about what they accept and what not. They didn't want to give out the papers though  s:? :? s:?  Apparently in Germany when you register the turbokit, the authorities call someone about the TÜV approval or whatever. That would never work over here, cause the owner has to have all the paperwork with him when he goes to register it.

I wonder how this goes in other european countries?
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Tem"Obviously I'm only driving in closed areas, like tracks and my backyard  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

how bigs your back yard FFS  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

heathstimpson

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "Tem"Obviously I'm only driving in closed areas, like tracks and my backyard  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

how bigs your back yard FFS  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Didn't you know Tem has a racetrack within his 100 acres plot  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"I wonder how this goes in other european countries?

Good question - I only know about the rules in France & Germany really.. France don't allow any engine mods AFAIK, and Germany require the TUV approval..

England, of course, don't really care what you to do your car, as long as it passes an MOT  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

philster_d

lol

Anonymous

I wonder if UK insurance companies would look on this more favourably given that it would be a factory fit option, as opposed to a third party kit.

Seems quite a good warranty if you are still within the 3 year period and you are paranoid about your engine blowing up. Might be something people would prefer come resale time as well rather than a third party turbo (for those people that are less in the know).

spit

Quote from: "Hanslow"I wonder if UK insurance companies would look on this more favourably given that it would be a factory fit option, as opposed to a third party kit.

Seems quite a good warranty if you are still within the 3 year period and you are paranoid about your engine blowing up. Might be something people would prefer come resale time as well rather than a third party turbo (for those people that are less in the know).

Good points Hanslow, and there could well be a decent market for TTE because of this (if these people ever find out about it.....is the TTE being actively promoted to the '2 owning fraternity though?).

On the insurance issue, it would be nice to think that the underwriters are prepared to deal with factory-fit equipment, but I doubt their criteria are that cute! Looks like the owner will still have to do much of the legwork to get their insurers on side, but "factory-fit" and "approved" are a solid basis on which to start negotiating.
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

markiii

when I was insured with Dorset (underwritten by chaucer)

they commented that they would insure teh TTE because it was a Tioyota kit but no others.

seemed to apply to me but others got PEs insured with them.

Anonymous

I know it's not quite in the same league, but my TTE lowering springs were added to my insurance policy (Privilege) at no extra charge as they are a factory fit option. I'd hope that the turbo may be looked on more favourably by the insurers, but you know what they are like  s;) ;) s;)

To be honest, the only knowledge I've got about the TTE turbo has been from here, so I doubt many people are aware of it  s:( :( s:(

Anonymous

lets face it, the amount of money you would save not buying a TTE kit would easily pay for a few years increase in insurance premiums    s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

That's true, but my concern over a turbo has always been the ability to sell it on afterwards as, IMHO, you will be severely limiting your market. I would assume that some people may prefer the TTE over others as it's endorsed by Toyota. Dunno though, just my thoughts  s;) ;) s;)  Mine's staying unfettled for the time being as I've plans to move on sometime between now and spring so it'd be a waste of money for me.

dimwit

That is correct, you are limiting the market when selling the car with a turbo, thats why most of us keep the original parts so theres always the chance of selling it standard...  s:) :) s:)  
I think that was what Perry did...

kanujunkie

Quote from: "dimwit"I think that was what Perry did...

correct he did, although it didn't look the same after he returned it to stock  s:( :( s:(
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

dreambackup

Quote from: "aaronjb"France don't allow any engine mods AFAIK
none, whatsoever  s:? :? s:?  

Quote from: "aaronjb"England, of course, don't really care what you to do your car, as long as it passes an MOT  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
and you guys still wonder why we do hate brits so much?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

how much would it cost me to have a postal address in the UK (does anyone rent a drawer in their night table?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ), register my car in the UK and get the insurance there? I mean, if that's the only "legal" way to drive a turbo in France...  s:? :? s:?  so be it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

aaronjb

Quote from: "dreambackup"how much would it cost me to have a postal address in the UK (does anyone rent a drawer in their night table?  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ), register my car in the UK and get the insurance there? I mean, if that's the only "legal" way to drive a turbo in France...  s:? :? s:?  so be it  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  Probably not that expensive, really..

Although you'd have to pay UK road tax as well (£150/yr ish for the Roadster) and get a UK MOT (£30-40 a year).. But, yup, legal turbo Roadster in France.

Although, speaking of the French hating the Brits - you'd be driving round with GB plates on all the time, that might not go down to well  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

dreambackup

Quote from: "aaronjb"Although, speaking of the French hating the Brits - you'd be driving round with GB plates on all the time, that might not go down to well  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
well, I could live with that  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
I'd buy myself a funny licence plate (I once saw a UK Mercedes owner with a funny plate: L100 BON meaning "she smells good"... you have to know there's a french word play with Mercedes... calling it something like "dry sh.t"  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) and forget about anything else when driving a LEGAL turbo MR-S  s8) 8) s8)
[size=67]2003 Toyota MR-S 1E3 SMT w/ hardtop, red painted calipers & red J-Spec nose badge, PPE intake w/ Apex\'i air filter, Way-Do TRD + C1 springs, front C1 sway bar, TRD front strut tower brace, Corky\'s breastplate, 1E3 Dev keyhole covers, Che header, Remus dual[/size]

markiii

Ladies & Gents,

Essen is getting close and we have been offered some Free tickets should anyone wish to attend.

Much as I'd like to go, my diary won't allow this year.

If anyone is going and woudl liek tickets please post up and I will co-ordinate with TTE.

cheers,

Mark.

dreambackup

Yes! Yes, yes, yes!

what? me, please!

Tags: