Engine

Started by Anonymous, October 4, 2005, 11:37

Anonymous

And I'm right in thinking that all of these o2 sensors are the same, and I can just buy one off the shelf.  Also, to reset the CEL, I just unplug my battery for a few minutes.

mph

Quote from: "odub"And I'm right in thinking that all of these o2 sensors are the same, and I can just buy one off the shelf.  Also, to reset the CEL, I just unplug my battery for a few minutes.
Not quite. You can order online from a place in Swansea (do a search on here to find the place). You'll want a 4-wire sensor.

Unplugging the battery clears the check light, but does not remove/reset the fault code from the ECU.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Well toyota finally phone me back and quoted me £206 to replace the sensor, they won't check if the sensor is actually broke, they'll just replace it, get me to drive around and see if it comes back. Ah, the service.

So I think i'm going to attempt o do it myself, hopefully, it'll come out easy enough.

Post like this doesn't help me not panic:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... ght=sensor m

Anonymous

The actual code is important.  If you can buy a cheap OBD-II code reader or borrow one or otherwise get the code read you'd have a better idea of what's going on.  If it's a heater circuit malfunction (seems to happen often), it's probably just the sensor and you're in luck.

The sensors are swappable, too.  If you get a different code after swapping, that would point to the sensor itself being bad.  I don't think the harness for the 2 sensors in the header will reach to post-cat, but you can cut the wires and splice in new position.  Make sure you have good splices and it is wired correctly (not sure about colors of wires, but consult the electrical wiring diagram if in doubt).  Once everything is all sorted you'd want to go back and solder the wires together, eliminating the splices.

Good luck and DON'T PANIC (just yet).

Anonymous

righto,

The actuall error code was:

p0136  Sensor Circuit Malfunction (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

Which (and remember i don't know what i'm talking about) would imply some sort of faulty wire.

So, what does this really mean?  I talked to Grant from the gendan place who recommend I don't use the universal sensor (£35), but instad use the toyota version (£100) as the generic version has been know to trip the CEL.

Anonymous

Right, I just took out the two manifold o2 sensors and inspected my pre-cats - guess what perfect condition. Well ones perfect looks brand new, the other one is looking a bit rough, but to be honest I've seen worse pictures on here for cars half the age, certainly it doesn't appear to be breaking up per se.

So, that's good, the only downside is after driving the car around the block I'm sure I can now hear a release of air, almost like a lilo with a small puncture being sat on by a large man, just as soon as I press the accelerator.  But I'm pretty sure its all in my head - listening out for sounds and all that.  The only thing I thought is: Have I tightened the sensors up properly?  The car still revs above 4K.

The two sensors came out straight away with my halfords 5 inch long wrench thingy - I guess Toyota didn't lie to me when they said they'd inspected them at the last service.  The actual sensor that's broke - I can't budge but it's in a funny position and I have to heave it with basically the strength of my grip.

Anonymous

So far so good.  If you're feel up to it, you could put on the emergency brake, put the car in gear, jack it up, put on jackstands (be safe), get underneath, and remove the cat-back part from the header.  Then you can see the bottom part of the precats, looking up with a flashlight.  Peace of mind is worth it.

Oh, almost forgot.  There should be some silvery antisieze compound on the sensor threads.  Toyota ones come that way, others may not.  Watch for mis-threading.

Tags: