Pre-Cats

Started by ghollis_84, October 14, 2005, 08:07

ghollis_84

Hi,

Has anyone had there pre-cats gutted on a import model?

Would it make any difference to MOT being an import without pre-cats?

Sorry for all the questions, mr T has said they would gut them for me, if thats what i really want, just want to make sure it will pass MOT.

Cheers  Grant
Red MR-S, TRD Stage 1 kit, plate V* MRS, AEM Induction Kit, TTE Springs, Pre-Cats Gutted, Corky, Custom Luggage set, BAMA, 03 side vents, TRD FSB, Gun Metal grey stock wheels, Red Calipers, Club Sticker, Clear indicators, Dev\'s

Anonymous

Mr T said that for you??  mines told me they woulndt touch it as they arent allowed to take them out

how much they gona charge you?

aaronjb

Quote from: "ghollis_84"Sorry for all the questions, mr T has said they would gut them for me, if thats what i really want, just want to make sure it will pass MOT.

Crikey - where is this helpful dealer?  s:) :) s:)

And yep - you'll have no problem getting through an MOT in the UK with no pre cats. They only affect emissions on cold start up, and currently we do not test emissions from cold over here (as far as I know, there are no plans to, either.. In all likelihood, if we do switch to the Euro-3 emissions standards, it will be for new cars only anyway)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

ghollis_84

This is a new dealer in Letchworth, I used to have to travel to Bishop Stortford but now this one is here. Luckily i know the manager of the parts and service part of the garage and i spoke to him about it yest and they said they would do it for me.

They arent sure on the price yet, but they recon about an hours labour and parts which i think is the gaskets, but nothing is final as there not sure how long it will take
Red MR-S, TRD Stage 1 kit, plate V* MRS, AEM Induction Kit, TTE Springs, Pre-Cats Gutted, Corky, Custom Luggage set, BAMA, 03 side vents, TRD FSB, Gun Metal grey stock wheels, Red Calipers, Club Sticker, Clear indicators, Dev\'s

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb"In all likelihood, if we do switch to the Euro-3 emissions standards, it will be for new cars only anyway.

Hmmmm...all current cars are Euro 3 emission standard.

I really doubt individual cars will ever be tested for Euro 3 after the sales, cause that test takes some 10 hours in total and costs +£1k.
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"Hmmmm...all current cars are Euro 3 emission standard.

I really doubt individual cars will ever be tested for Euro 3 after the sales, cause that test takes some 10 hours in total and costs +£1k.

What I meant was, it's unlikely that the government would say "Right, as of now [2005], all cars built from 2001 (for sake of argument) will be tested for cold start emissions, as per Euro3", but rather "All cars sold from this point on will be tested for cold start emissions"..

As I understand it, isn't that the only real addition from Euro3?
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)

Tem

Quote from: "aaronjb""All cars sold from this point on will be tested for cold start emissions"

Very unlikely...think about it, if you drove your car to be tested for cold start emissions, you'd have to leave it there for hours to cool it down, so they can test it...

QuoteAs I understand it, isn't that the only real addition from Euro3?

I believe even Euro 1 from 1992 tested cold start emissions. The only real difference from Euro 1&2 to 3 is that the 3 requires OBD. And obviously each step allowed less emissions.

The test is done in a lab on a chassis dynamometer. The temp, humidity etc are all defined and the car has to stand there for hours before the test can start (I think it was 10 hours, could've been 8 as well). Then the car is started and driven for what simulates a typical run, first slow speeds and stopping (leaving home), then higher speeds without stopping (highway) and again slower speeds with stoppings (getting at work). And finally it's shut down. All pollutions from starting to stop are measured and even a final puff from turning the engine off can make you fail it  s:? :? s:?

I bet we won't ever see that for used cars. It would require huge labs to test every car once a year, keeping it under conditioned temp overnight.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"if you drove your car to be tested for cold start emissions, you'd have to leave it there for hours to cool it down, so they can test it...

You've never taken a car for an MOT in the UK, have you Tem?  s;) ;) s;)   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  (I jest - some places will do it 'while you wait' (it's only a 45min test, after all).. Toyota need the car 'all day'   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  )

Interesting, though.. So all these emissions regs really only affect cars at the type approval stage, rather than when they're running on the road.. which is probably a good thing (for us, at any rate).

spit

Just returning to the original questions......
Quote from: "ghollis_84"Has anyone had there pre-cats gutted on a import model?
Yes

Quote from: "ghollis_84"Would it make any difference to MOT being an import without pre-cats?
No.

Tem & Aaron are right: Cold-start emissions testing on existing cars would be chaotic. Add to that the fact that new cars are not liable for testing for the first 3 years anyway and you have something that is a complete non-starter. If its part of Type Approval, then fine - it won't affect us  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

ghollis_84

Thanx Aaron and Spit,

Just wondering, cause guy who is going to do it hasnt done one before its just Gaskets that they need right, when taking the manifold off.

spit

Quote from: "ghollis_84"Just wondering, cause guy who is going to do it hasnt done one before its just Gaskets that they need right, when taking the manifold off.

Yep. The two compression gaskets for the compensation joint between Manifold and Cat pieces should be renewed.

I replaced the manifold gasket too while I was at it.

ghollis_84

Thanx Spit,

Well i have not long had the pre-cat and cat changed and plus a whole engine rebuild so the manifold gasket should be pretty new i think, correct me if i am wrong

spit

I would hope so.....but depends who did it and how well they did it.

My penchant for renewing all gaskets must be a genetic thing from my Dad (as mentioned in another thread  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  )

ghollis_84

Well it was mr T who replaced the Pre-cat and Cat so i would hope that they did, thats when the Gasket is aint it?

spit

Yes, they would have replaced those. I'd still advise new ones though, for the sake of a few quid, as they're sealing compression rings that work in a compensation joint - much easier to get new ones to seal properly rather than mucking about with used ones that have already "oozed". OMG I'm turning into my Dad  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Tem

They seem to work forever, if you apply some exhaust pipe sealant to them every time you open them.

Of course news ones are always new ones, if you don't have a habit of opening that joint few times per month  s8) 8) s8)

spit

Quote from: "Tem"They seem to work forever, if you apply some exhaust pipe sealant to them every time you open them.

Of course news ones are always new ones, if you don't have a habit of opening that joint few times per month  s8) 8) s8)

Good point Tem - a tube of gloop is about half the price, or free if your garage fits it.

However, one of my O's had started to shred at 40,000 miles, so for the sake of a few quid I went for new. IMHE the compensation joint can be a sod to get torqued up correctly, so belt and braces is a good approach.

ghollis_84

Thanx for quick reply's guys,

Well as they have only just been changed and mr T will be gutting my cats so i would expect them to use some gloop. providing they where replaced the first time.

I think they going to do it on Tues, i will let you guys know how it goes and prices, etc.

ghollis_84

Hi Guys and Gals,

Got car back from Mr T yesterday after successfully Gutting Pre-Cat,
Atleast i can now sleep at nite knowing my car will not have anymore problems with them.

Prices:
£68.03
Which included:
- Gaskets
- Labour
- And free Valet

edward.carter

thats not too bad, might save myself the hassle and pop down!

Anonymous

and this was the local Mr T?  can you give me their ful details so i can go to my mr t and say see, the other dealership done it why wont you?

Anonymous

Quote from: "ghollis_84"Prices:
£68.03
Which included:
- Gaskets
- Labour
- And free Valet

Blimey!  That's a complete and utter bargain IMHO.  It's worth it just to save the considerable hassle involved in doing it yourself... I presume they'd have charged you more if they'd run into problems like seized/sheared bolts?

Last time I tried to discuss pre-cats with the service guy at my local Mr T they didn't seem to have a clue what I was going on about - possibly feigning ignorance but possibly not!

ghollis_84

Well when i told my Mr T they sort of new what i was going on about, but i took them in the Sticky, Pre-Cat Removal guide.
They also said it was something that i had requested and they wouldnt normally do it, but customer is always right and that i spose.

I pressume they would charge more for seized/Sheared bolts, luckily for me i had not long had a new pre-cat put on (Stupidily i might add) so mine came off easily they said.

As for the garage:
Eden Bridge
Icknield Way
Letchworth
Hertfordshire
SG6 1EF
Tel: 01462 688400
Fax: 01462 688401

Anonymous

did you just speak to the service department and ask for that?

cheers bud think ill give mine a call

ghollis_84

Yeah i went straight to the service and parts department, But i do know the manager there so that might be another reason why they did it. If one does i dont see why they all dont, if people aren't worried about there warranty that is.
Glad to be of service Reddi

Tags: