Pre-Cats

Started by ghollis_84, October 14, 2005, 08:07

Anonymous

well my warranty is long gone bud so no worried there

well heres hoping, gona mention it to them today and see how i go, ill let you know

Anonymous

Ok guys heres the story!.

one of the mechanics from mr t will do it for me as an on the side job but mr t themsefs wont to it. so either way im happy its getting done.

what they have said is they dont recomend it as the car seemingly ends up getting the wrong mix amount of air/air etc etc and therfore this will probably cause my malfaunction light (cel) to be on all the time)

Is this correct?

edward.carter

nope loadsa people have them out without any problems!

markiii

Quote from: "reddi"Ok guys heres the story!.

one of the mechanics from mr t will do it for me as an on the side job but mr t themsefs wont to it. so either way I'm happy its getting done.

what they have said is they dont recomend it as the car seemingly ends up getting the wrong mix amount of air/air etc etc and therfore this will probably cause my malfaunction light (cel) to be on all the time)

Is this correct?

talking out of teir arses, the cats have no effect on fuelling whatever.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

yeah thats what i thought, found it weird them telling me my light will come on all time thinking there was something wrong as it will get wrong ammounts of gas, air etc

aaronjb

Quote from: "markiii"talking out of teir arses, the cats have no effect on fuelling whatever.

Unless, of course, the mechanic was thinking of the main CAT - remove that and you'll get a CEL due to the third O2 sensor. Ok, it's not actually an air/fuel ratio problem, but he [the mech] could have explained it kinda like that.

Anyway, Mark is right - removing the CATs (pre- or main-) will have no effect on air/fuel ratio [that the engine is ingesting], and removing the pre CATs will not (should not!) throw a CEL. Removing the main CAT will, however, throw a CEL on European & US market cars (Japanese cars do not have the 3rd O2 sensor IIRC).
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

nah they knew it was the pre-cats i was talking about and still said it would throw a cel.  bloody liers

edward.carter

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

spit

Quote from: "aaronjb"(Japanese cars do not have the 3rd O2 sensor IIRC).
U do RC   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

Anonymous

So far, no one on this side of the drink has managed to get MrT to do this job, so you guys are really lucky.

Regarding the tech's worries about a CEL, it would be a good idea to reset the ECU following the decatting. Although you won't be at risk of a CEL, this will allow the engine to optimize itself against the reduced backpressure. Remove the negative battery lead, wait 15 min and then restore power.

Anonymous

cheers bud think ill do this.  its weird that they tell me it is nearly certain to throw a CEl and yet you guys who actually have the cars say this is rubbish cheers

so to reset ECU i disconnect negative and leave for 15 min!  will do   :-) :-) :-)

Anonymous

was having a blonde moment, nearly asked you do i reset the ECU by leaving the negative lead of for 15min with the car started or not

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Anonymous

need another bit of advise guys.  mr t has now came back to me and said the cost will be about £180 for labour, parts etc.  didnt know if this seemed very high?

and when spoke to my sales man he said i got given a years warranty with my car so if the pre-cats did go in a year then its covered then could get them out at the end of that year.

everyone says sooner pre-cats are out the better but is £180 silly price?

and in case it came into it, my milage is 36000

Liz

How much will the price go up by the end of the years warranty?

Also remember Mr T aren't that good at admitting this problem and if you engine did blow - they would fit a new one containing more pre-cats, personally I would spend the money now and be done with it, but thats just my opinion. I am trying to think what parts - would that be a couple of gaskets and a few bolts, I would ask to see what parts they are talking about. The gaskets are about a tenner.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

edward.carter

Quote from: "reddi"was having a blonde moment, nearly asked you do i reset the ECU by leaving the negative lead of for 15min with the car started or not

s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  We have all had our daft moments   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

think your opinion is going to be same as everyones but thought id check.

would still be same price, but i suppose sooner out the better.

1thing he said when i showed him the how to i printed off is "it isnt just as easy as that but we will do it for you", i was like well loads of other owners have used that and said it was as easy as that

Anonymous

well im getting mine  out on monday (the pre-cats!!!!!)  so then i can sleep easy knowing this will no longer be a worry!

and the guy doing it says he done a couple and adds a nice little noise to the exhaust

Anonymous

just to let everyone know i came back from holiday and my car was parked at my house having been returned by the mechanic with pre-cats removed without any problem and i can now drive without worry of them going wrong, and he was wrong and you guys were right, the CEL light hasnt come on woohoo!!!

edward.carter

was it £180 in the end?

Anonymous

yeah £180, worked out well in the end though as that included all work and parts, which included new bolts as he had to sheer a few and also storing in his garage whilst i was on holiday.

edward.carter

fair enough i got all new bolts and the new gasket already as i know some of heads are knackered  s:) :) s:)

Tags: