mk3 water leak

Started by Anonymous, October 14, 2005, 14:26

Anonymous

i was driving home the other nite and when accelerating and cornering i noticed that there was a "sloshing " noise coming from the nearside of the car by the seatbelt fixing, when i got home i investigated and discoverd some water in the storage compartment behind the passenger seat.
I have been to toyota today and the car has been booked in to have the drains cleared , apparently this involves removing the roof!!.
i'm not concerned about the cost as all of this is being done under warranty but i thought that they just had to remove the side air intake to access the drains , has any one got an y views on this ??

roger

Stick "drains" in Search - lots of info, especially

http://www.euroroadster.com/articles/ShowArticle.asp?File=DrainHoles.xml
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Ernie Ball

I cleaned mine when I replaced my side vents last week.  I couldn't believe how much gunk was clogging them.  The pressure washer took care of them, though.  I was a little concerned about blasting the gunk back into the car, but it turned out that that didn't happen.

SimonC_Here

Quote from: "robsonj"and the car has been booked in to have the drains cleared , apparently this involves removing the roof!!.
i'm not concerned about the cost as all of this is being done under warranty but i thought that they just had to remove the side air intake to access the drains , has any one got an y views on this ??

I would be worried, taking the roof of is really a last resort. They may never get it back on again properly!

Clean them out as per the article or at least print it out and take it in to them.

Don't let them remove the roof!

Simon

TommyD

Simple job, definately don't even think about removing the roof, it is not necessary. 10 min job max. Simply prise off the side vents with a screwdriver (remember to wrap the tip with tape and then pull off the rubber flap valve on the drainage tube and you should release the water and muck. I then semi put the roof down to give some access to the top drains and pour a jug of water through. Don't waste your time with the garage.
[size=100]Sable MR2[/size], David\'s Bars, TTE Rear Sports Spoiler, TRD side skirts, TRD front cross brace, Lampka rear cross brace and under bracing, Whiteline swaybars, Whiteline spings, 2\'srus Drop links, RPS clutch

Anonymous

Apparently toyota wish to remove the roof as there are new parts to fit that alleviate this problem, I am also concerned about  mr t taking my roof off and refitting it but my cars virtually new and i dont want to mess about with the car myself , i would have a go if the car was out of warranty i guess.
I'll let you know how I get on, the car goes in for the drain problem to be sorted on the 28th..

heathstimpson

Quote from: "robsonj"Apparently toyota wish to remove the roof as there are new parts to fit that alleviate this problem, I am also concerned about  mr t taking my roof off and refitting it but my cars virtually new and i dont want to mess about with the car myself , i would have a go if the car was out of warranty i guess.
I'll let you know how I get on, the car goes in for the drain problem to be sorted on the 28th..
Could you try and find out what these new bits are please  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

I get this from time too time, I just stick my hand under the parcel shelf and rummage around, and it all drains away

Anonymous

When i went to see the toyota dealership about the drain problem and they informed me that the roof would have to be removed i informed them that i had read on this website that the drains can be cleared by removing the air intake facias.
The guy on the service desk implied that new parts would be fitted to the draining system to prevent the drains from blocking up again, which is why they were removing the roof (i imagine at great expense, cant be a quick job!), he said that it was cheaper to do this than replace a water damaged interior under warranty in the future after attempting the facia removal fix.
If any new parts ARE fitted then i will get a list of them and a description for you guys , i just hope they make a good job at refitting the roof .
Thanks to everyone who has taken time to offer me their advice on this , i really appreciate it.

Tem

Quote from: "robsonj"he said that it was cheaper to do this than replace a water damaged interior under warranty in the future

As the "water damaged interior" means water in the plastic storage bins, they must have really high labour  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

I think if the water ingress is bad enough you can get water into the carpets behind and  under the seats , once that gets mildewed then it all has to be taken out , plus ofcourse toyotas exorbitant labour charges doesnt help

Tem

Quote from: "robsonj"I think if the water ingress is bad enough you can get water into the carpets behind and  under the seats

Well...yes, I suppose you can. But that would require gallons of water in the storage bins. You'd have to be deaf not to hear the first puddle swooshing in the first corner. Maybe, just maybe, if it's very rainy and the car sits outdoors for months without being driven.

I wouldn't worry about it  s8) 8) s8)

Quoteonce that gets mildewed then it all has to be taken out

Doesn't seem to mildew that easily, unless you let it sit there. I've gotten some water on the carpets...not cause of blocked drains, but cause of leaving the roof down when it started to rain  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  No signs of mildew. I suppose Toyota used a material which doesn't get that too fast, cause many will get some water in there someday.

Anyway, like heathstimpson said, please find about what these non-blocking vents are  s8) 8) s8)  Or will they just remove the grills  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

got  my car back friday, they did take the roof off but did not fit any new parts but they did kindly cock up the "ear" prevention strap inside the roof, sorted this out myself.
i have been out in the rain today and have not had any leaks so i assume that they have done a good job of cleaning the drainage system out and re-fitting the roof .
Thanks again for all your help.

Anonymous

hi guys
new to this forum but it is very useful already. i returned to my car on thursday morning after it sitting there for 48 in really heavy rain (i work in wales!!!) and the drivers foot well was under about 1 1/2 inches of water!! i cleared it out and cursed myself for not closing a door or window quite properly as this had not happened before.

i then returned last night after work (again car sat there for 36 hours) only to find the area behind the drivers seat was under an inch of water. heavy rain again.

i have now cleaned out the roof drains as per advice on this forum, but i never noticed any water in the luggage compartments.

any advice or tips?
cheers

Slacey

See my reply on the other thread...
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Just did the drain clearing thing on mine, worked a treat, was worried i had a roof leakage but after reading this its all sorted - thanks guys!!

Anonymous

Having lost one of the white plastic kits that hold the side vents on, is it possible to order them from Mr T, and if so, does anyone have the part number?

Also, for anyone who has replaced side vents for 03' vents; do they come with clips?

Cheers

Roo

kanujunkie

Quote from: "Roo"Having lost one of the white plastic kits that hold the side vents on, is it possible to order them from Mr T, and if so, does anyone have the part number?

Also, for anyone who has replaced side vents for 03' vents; do they come with clips?

Cheers

Roo

you can get the clips as i've got one on order, but sorry i dont have the p/n
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Excellent stuff, thank you again!

MR2 Oracle or what!

philster_d

Mr2 Coracle   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Quote from: "philster_d"Mr2 Coracle   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Very, ...good   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Cheers

Roo

Anonymous

for the sake of completeness, the part number for the plastic clips that hold the side vents in is T62955-12010. Yours for 81p + VAT from your friendly local Toyota dealer.

Cheers

Roo.

Tags: