URGENT!!!

Started by Anonymous, October 16, 2005, 14:29

Anonymous

hi guys, was just out driving when i felt a little kick/a little push foward, then noticed my malfunctioning light was on flashing. pulled over and it is now permanently on, tried restarting car and its on all the time.  and when sitting idling it is shuddering a bit like the car could cut out?whats the cause cause,  could it be pre-cats?

it was flashing but no always on, here it is

markiii

thats yiour engine check light, MIL, CEL what ever yu want to call it.

First thing you need o do is pop along to yur dealer and have teh read teh code.

don't let thm charge yu it will take all of 30 seconds.

when yu kow what teh code is we can go from there.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

ok thanks bud.  so there is no certain thing?  ill let you guys know once i get the code

Is it safe to drive?

markiii

probably, it depends on what the CEL is for.

make sure your oil level is ok first and then take it very easy and yu shudl be ok.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

oil reader in car shows it as ok but ill go out and check it incase thats wrong

markiii

yikes  s:? :? s:?  

the so called reader in teh car, is only of any use for showing you that there is no oil at all.

by the tie it coes on yr already in troble

you should be checking the dipstick very regulalry

kanujunkie

to give you an idea of the possible codes that are read by the OBD-II system Reddi. Now you see why you need to get it read properly

m http://www.mr2roc.org/subdreamer/index. ... rticleid=8 m
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

i do check it regularly, only bought car last week so didnt think any need to check it 1 week later.

other thing i forgot to mention is that before i went driving i noticed water coming from my exhauset, shoulnt have been condensation.

kanujunkie

water or coolant??

you'll get a small amount of water from the cat, all modern cars do and after shutdown it may pool, but you need to check wether its coolant. Coolant is normally coloured and has a slightly sweet taste to it, i wouldn't recomend drinking it though
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

s:D :D s:D    i have a laptop that can read the fault codes via the on board diagnostic socket   if any one needs to have a fault read and they are near sevenoaks i could pop round..  dealers charge about £75 for this service which takes about 2 minutes.    or ring your breakdown provider, the RAC and the AA will read the code for free and tow it to the garage if its unsafe to drive.. possible cat damage can occur if even a slight misfire goes unchecked

Jap GT300

Can you read the japanese codes?

Anonymous

Quote from: "reddi"hi guys, was just out driving when i felt a little kick/a little push foward, then noticed my malfunctioning light was on flashing. pulled over and it is now permanently on, tried restarting car and its on all the time.  and when sitting idling it is shuddering a bit like the car could cut out?whats the cause cause,  could it be pre-cats?

it was flashing but no always on, here it is

could be a number of things . i had the exact same thing happen to me one rainy sunday afternoon in St Andrews.  Car would turn over but would keep chuggering and thought it was gonna stall.

Sad news is, it was my ECU had packed in and also one of my injectors... just shy of £1k to fix   s:cry: :cry: s:cry:

Anonymous

well i only got one week ago so no matter what it is making sure they pay

Anonymous

to give you all an update.  they tested the car an no code showed up so they reset it and now the lights off and doesnt seem to be any problem.  could this light have came on if my rear window wire got tugged to far as forgot it was still in when tried lifting up hard top

Slacey

Quote from: "reddi"to give you all an update.  they tested the car an no code showed up so they reset it and now the lights off and doesnt seem to be any problem.  could this light have came on if my rear window wire got tugged to far as forgot it was still in when tried lifting up hard top
Sounds dodgy to me - if the light is on then you have a CEL - and a code with it. Pulling the demister wire will do nothing more than break the wire - it has no connection to the ECU at all. Were you there when they 'read' the code?
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

no i wasnt there.  the car was being left with them to have the ariel motor replaced aswell so i had to drop it off on way to work and collected when finished

now youve made me sad  s:-( :-( s:-(  was happy thinking there was nothing wrong and just an error that the light came on.

You rekon i should take it to another dealership and have them check?will they do it if light not on?

Anonymous

so should i be worried that they say no code or happy that there doesnt seem to be anything wrong?>

kanujunkie

may have just been a glitch, did you say you had the pre-cats in or not?
have you cleaned the MAF sensor at all yet??
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

they rekond it was just a glitch.

still got pre-cats in jsut now,  nah only had car just under 2 weeks so aint cleaned or checked anything like that yet

Anonymous

i see here  -   m http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic. ... maf+sensor m   that cleaning the MAF can be a good idea so ill do this over the weekend.  i see i need carb cleaner, i pressume i can get this from somewhere like halfrods.  

what do i actually use to clean the 2 wires? some type of brush or jsut spray on the carb cleaner

kanujunkie

dont touch the wires, just spray them, i dont know wether Halfrauds do carb cleaner, i use a product from our stores at work, so cant comment  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

ok ill get the spray somewhere  and ill just spray it in an nothing else and hopefully this is all the prob was

although you think they would have mentioned it but then why would they if they can get away without saying anything, i hate dealerships  GGGGRRRRRRR,  thank god for this site

kanujunkie

give them they're due this is only a guess and may not be the cause, but cleaning the MAF sensor once in a while is a good idea as it does get a bit coked up and cleaning it can only help, just be careful as the sensor is very delicate and will break if banged or dropped
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

yeah i suppose, should jsut be happy light not on anymore (hope they didnt just disconnect it,  LOL )

ok will do, cheers buddy!

SimonC_Here

Oh, and take the rubber ring off the sensor as well. Or just don't get any card cleaner on it it might damage the rubber. Halfords do cans of Wynnes (big blue can) which works fine.

Simon

Tags: