2000 - non-matched tyres causing 'interesting' handling!?

Started by Anonymous, October 18, 2005, 14:52

Anonymous

Hi

Some advice sought.
I have a 2000 roadster (W reg) which I have owned for just over 6 months.

In the dry the handling is fine and inspires confidence. In the wet however, the thing becomes a slightly scary experience -- I know it is a mid-engined rwd car but I have owned other 'similar' cars which have not shown such behaviour.

I **think** that the tyres may be making the handling dodgy rather than any other factor (yes, I do adapt my driving in the wet to suit a rwd card!). On closer inspection the tyres are a potential nightmare:

Fronts:
Nanchang Ex500 185/55R 15 81V

Rear:  
Surpasa MA-V7 Maxi 205/50 R15 86V
Rapidex R2 205 / 50R R15 86V

Can anyone comment (preferably without laughing too much) as to whether this (to me, alarming) combination is likely to be the wet weather handling fiend????

Thanks,
dan m

Bongo

Change them now!

Anonymous

p.s. As the floods of post come in to change them, anyone got any suggestions as to what for and any good deals????

cheers,
dan

roger

Change them all for a set of Toyo T1-Rs?

Not immediately available at your local NationalEuroQuik jobbies, but try the on-line guys.

Come in much cheaper than the SO3s or other "mainstream" alternatives. I am not off my OEMs yet, but Toyo's seem to be the preferred rubber for price and performance.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Bongo

I'm happy with my Toyo Proxes T1-R. Good price and perform very well.

It's considered a bad thing to have any mixed tyres on an MR2 let alons mixing them on the same axle (which I think is bad on any car?).

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"Change them all for a set of Toyo T1-Rs?

Not immediately available at your local NationalEuroQuik jobbies, but try the on-line guys.

Come in much cheaper than the SO3s or other "mainstream" alternatives. I am not off my OEMs yet, but Toyo's seem to be the preferred rubber for price and performance.

Thanks peeps, any idea of a *rough* target price for a set of 4 T1-Rs ??

roger

Try googling etc., or this is a reasonably cheap supplier

http://www.mytyres.co.uk or

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m4b103s99p0

Most local tyre fitters will put them on for about £5 each, though you may have to go on recommendation to make sure they are not cowboys who will "dent" the alloys.

Or try

http://www.toyo.co.uk/

for a Toyo dealer
Roger

jonytom

Rough target price for set of four - about £160 without fitting.
[size=75]Black \'03, black leather, TTE lowering springs, Markiii pipe, Corky\'s plate, J-Spec steering wheel badge, club windscreen sticker, red calipers with Toyota styling, Toyota GB body kit, Goodyear F1 Eagles (GS-D3), Dev\'s keyhole covers, black (painted) J-Spec nose badge[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "jonytom"Rough target price for set of four - about £160 without fitting.

Thanks! I got a quote for £190'ish from one of the suppliers above so will keep fishin' to get it lower...  s;-) ;-) s;-)

kanujunkie

factor in £10-15 for valves,fitting & balanceing per wheel at a local dealer
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Driscoll Tyres of Romford are a Toyo stockist/supplier Tel: (01708) 744343

edward.carter

i got t1r's on the back and they are ace, i got them from mytyres too.  i also have nankangs on the front they are horrificly bad in the wet though so get rid of them asap!

Anonymous

I will add to the aforementioned posts by saying that I agree with all people here.  I would go a step further and say change your tyres ASAP or you'll end up in a ditch (there is a post about a ditch if you search...).

For the record, I had handling issues about a year ago when I changed one of my rear Eagle F1s to a newer one due to a puncture.  Just the thread difference had a serious impact...  Had to change them again as I wasn't feeling confident driving the car in the wet anymore.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"I will add to the aforementined posts by saying that I agree with all people here.  I would go a step further and say change your tyres ASAP or you'll end up in a ditch.

Interesting you should say that - Nankang is in fact Japanese for "ditch-finder"  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

As everyone else said tho, change them (asap) and you can't go wrong with the Toyo Proxes T1'R's  s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

Quote from: "Emmanuel"there is a post about a ditch if you search...

Several I imagine - I've lost count of the number of people who've come on, posted that they've bought a new car with odd tyres but 'it can't possibly make that much difference' and they'll 'change them when they wear down', only to reappear a few months later saying 'I should have changed those tyres sooner..'
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "dt_matthews"...
Fronts:

Rear:  
Surpasa my-V7 Maxi 205/50 R15 86V
I'm trying to convince myself that this isn't a wind-up.  I wouldn't do that to any car, let alone one as sensitive as the Roadster!

Anonymous

1 have bridgestone tyres on all 4 wheels but sometimes I feel my car is ready to leave the road in the wet, all tires are nearly new.  What kind of reputation does this make have?

I always thought they were good tyres.

karlus972

Fronts:

Rear:  
s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
Change them now!!
Tyres is something I'll never go half with. Invest in 4 good tyres, one brand, and you'll be safe.
Madinina Style!!

roger

Quote from: "daz8365"1 have bridgestone tyres on all 4 wheels but sometimes I feel my car is ready to leave the road in the wet, all tires are nearly new.  What kind of reputation does this make have?

I always thought they were good tyres.

Bridgestone whats?

I have stock RE040's, and TBH after my first slidy moment coming of a (greasy) roundabout I've started driving like a Granny in the wet - but still a bit faster than Grandad   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  . IMO a small price to pay.
Roger

Anonymous

I have read loads and loads of treads on tyres being wrong, causing difficult handling, but never really checked my own till today.

I've had my 2001 '2 for about 2 months and I have noticed it's a bit slippery when in the wet, but I just thought it was normal but after looking at my Tyre arrangement, this could have an impact on it.

I have:
2x Bridgestone Potenza's 185/55/15 on the front (Hard Compound I think)

2x Avon 205/50/15 on the rear (Soft compound I think)

ooppps   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

Hi all,

I have been away with work and now I'm back will be able to get round to actually changing my v. dodgy tyres -- I know some recommend the Toyo's, has anyone got experience of Michelins/Pirelli's/Good Year's on the roadster???

Cheers,
dan

Anonymous

Quote from: "peterb"
Fronts:

Rear:  
I'm trying to convince myself that this isn't a wind-up.  I wouldn't do that to any car, let alone one as sensitive as the Roadster!

I wish it was, the previous owner obviously didn't drive in the wet or above about 40 round corners  s;-) ;-) s;-)

Anonymous

I use to use Pirelli's, when I owned motorcycles (only brand that made tyres for my bike) and I hated them, they where really soft and didn't last very long. Personally I would go for a hard compound tyre, they last a lot longer they are really good in the wet, but don't perform as well as soft compound in the heat, (but how often do we get heat in this country). Bridgestone do a good hard compound tyre I think.

roger

Quote from: "extremeMR2"I use to use Pirelli's, when I owned motorcycles (only brand that made tyres for my bike) and I hated them, they where really soft and didn't last very long. Personally I would go for a hard compound tyre, they last a lot longer they are really good in the wet, but don't perform as well as soft compound in the heat, (but how often do we get heat in this country). Bridgestone do a good hard compound tyre I think.

Both the RE040 and S03 are harder sidewalls - you get more tramlining, but they tend to stay "more upright" on trackday like cornering.  Personally I would steer clear of anything thats not a Bridgestone, Yoko, Toyo, or Goodyear F1 - all of which are regularly used.

Pirelli, Avons etc may be perfectly good tyres, but there is not enough posted experience on these cars to get a definitive answer.

You pays your money & takes your choice, and hopefully report if you get something "exotic".
Roger

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"Pirelli, Avons etc may be perfectly good tyres, but there is not enough posted experience on these cars to get a definitive answer.
I'll tell you about my Pirelli P6000 then...  Bloody awful!  Don't suit the MR2 at all, especially in the wet, and they are about to be changed although almost new.

The only reason I haven't done it yet is because I was looking for the last ever set of Eagle F1 to no avail.  I think i will go for Toyo this time...

Tags: