C2 Install & Pictures: 85,000 miles on

Started by spit, October 19, 2005, 22:04

celmacmat

Yeepee... I might get a run in the Stemobile at last!!
Celine
Black Porsche 968 Club Sport

spit

Quote from: "CeeDeeHR"Just as food for thought...according to Mugen smaller oil filter is better...in Japan they change all their filters on ITR/CTR for smaller ones and than use clamps around them to prevent them from expanding during hard driving (teperature does influence on size as i understand). Smaller ones couse they filter all the same but with less oil needed to fill them up...I think you can (if you are interested) see all about this in Best Motoring International DVDs about Integra TypeR...

Interesting. Larger filter is just a temp measure during run-in cos I had one kicking about - if there's crud to catch after the rebuild I figured I might as well make sure that there's enough filter to catch it and keep working. Just my fuzzy logic, no basis on evidence  s;) ;) s;)
1999 MR-S with added C2 POWΣR

Humbled recipient of the Perry Byrnes memorial trophy (2007 & 2011)

enid_b

nice to see its back together love.

this has to be the most read thread in roc history, your pushing 40000 views mate.

see, we do care. xxxx
Ex \'51 Roadster, now  Verso SR !!! the official MR2ROC support vehicle.
Quote from: \"markiii to deej\"the difference will be because your old plugs were fubared

a bloke with a flint would likely have been an improvement

spit

Quote from: "spit"and the tune is all over the place at idle....

Not any more  s:D :D s:D  . Stripped off the TB today and removed the IAC valve assembly which was totally caked shut  s:x :x s:x  After a thorough clean-up, everything is ticky-boo again. A good thing, as I priced them up at MrT and they aint cheap.

Slight issue with the ceramic coating though - the Turbo-X top layer is turning to powder and falling off   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I called Peter at Camcoat and have sent him pictures. I'm not the first - everyone in last month's batch has had the same problem. Ar$e   s:x :x s:x  . I'm reluctant to strip down again now, but Peter will make good when it finally does get removed.

Jaik

Quote from: "spit"
Quote from: "spit"and the tune is all over the place at idle....

Not any more  s:D :D s:D  . Stripped off the TB today and removed the IAC valve assembly which was totally caked shut  s:x :x s:x  After a thorough clean-up, everything is ticky-boo again. A good thing, as I priced them up at MrT and they aint cheap.

Slight issue with the ceramic coating though - the Turbo-X top layer is turning to powder and falling off   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I called Peter at Camcoat and have sent him pictures. I'm not the first - everyone in last month's batch has had the same problem. Ar$e   s:x :x s:x  . I'm reluctant to strip down again now, but Peter will make good when it finally does get removed.
Coated on the outside only I hope?

spit

Yes Jaik. A double ceramic base layer inside and out but its the Turbo-X top coat on the outside that hasn't adhered.

I may revert to the cermakrome Satin Black finish if Peter's gurus in America can't solve the problem.

Jaik

Thank god for that!

northernalex

Fantastic news Ste.. just had a good long read of this thread!

s:) :) s:)
evileye_xc said:
"I already saw it. I\'m hoping to gain the record for the \'Person who is most quoted in signatures"

Jaik

Ste took me out for a little run in the beast tonight and it's rather swift. Looking forward to another go when it's all mapped and run in  s;) ;) s;)

On that note, does anyone have a few grand and the number of a cheap insurance company lying around?

markiii

nope but I do have a spare turbo kit  :-) :-) :-)
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Jaik

If it's free then I could afford the insurance  s;) ;) s;)

philster_d

Respect to my C2 brother from another mother   s8) 8) s8)  

/Phil.

spit

Those in the know will be aware that I've slightly oversubscribed on "things to go on my plate" at the moment .... but I'm still bizarrely annoyed and slightly bored now that the car has needed no attention whatsoever since the engine rebuild.

The point of this post? I can thoroughly recommend this course of action for anyone with the time and inclination to give it a go as an alternative to sourcing a scrapper or 'recon'. Financially its a viable option if you DIY or find a friendly garage.

The only downside is that I keep losing my tools now - they used to live in the car at all times and now they're scattered across spitville  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

DannyN

I hope you haven't lost my screwdriver.....   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
Quote from: \"DannyN\"There are 10 types of people in the world,
Those who understand Binary and those that don\'t...

[size=75]Black 51 165 BHP - Hardtop ON - Teins - Apexi Power FC - AEM Induction (Cleaned) - Crower Cams - Forged Pistons - Iridium Plugs - Zero Manifold - SP Downpipe - H&S - TRD SS - Corkys MSMB - Goodridge - \'03 Vents - Devs - Bamas - Crystal Indies - Mongos.
[/size]

Two's Company

Good to hear the rebuild did the trick!  If you're missing car tinkering, my exhaust is rattling.   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Sounds like the baffles have gone but I'm in denial.

custardavenger

Surely it's only viable if the engine is in good condition to start with. When I priced it up I couldn't get it under £900 and thats without a crank re grind. Ok course it depends on the level you want to get it back to, I can't bring myself to put the rusty crank pulley back on and thats £130 on its own. Gasket set £131 Big ends £72 Crank bearings £92 etc etc. That with machining and 4 pistons just priced me out.

How did you do it?
[size=150]Custard\'s Bonnet/Engine Cover Struts[/size] Clicky Round 2
Custard\'s Bracing Clicky Coming soon
Project Custard Clicky

spit

True, you have to consider the baseline of damage that you're starting with. I didn't say it was cheaper, i just said it was a financially viable alternative   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I priced up engines and was faced with either something with unknown history or a recon with a brief warranty requiring exchange or an additional 250 quid to purchase outright. I simply couldn't afford this in one hit.

Taking the rebuild route allowed me to spread the cost so that is was manageable, and allowed me the opportunity to swap out tired stuff on a known unit. I believe the end result was worth it, and if it all goes t!ts up at least there's only one person to blame  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Our affiliate Chris can also help out when it comes to supplying parts at sensible prices.

custardavenger

They were Chris's prices.

You are right on the having an engine you trust. I wouldn't trust a recon just by the fact that If I can't recon an engine for that price how can they. I may still rebuild mine but have a couple more options to try first.
Project Custard Clicky

spit

Yep its scary how the prices add up but I was looking at a one-off hit of £1350 plus delivery for a recon outright ... and the guys couldn't verify the history of the 1-zz. Maybe I didn't look hard enough.

In my case the rebuild came in cheaper than that as I had great support from the ROC and the guys at Charlesworth, but it was ultimately the spreading of the costs that made it feasible. I also had less damage to contend with than you do.

I still have a whining tensioner pulley but its holding up fine after being cleaned out and greased to hell and back.  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Whichever way you jump Rob, I'm sure you'll end up with a beastie   s8) 8) s8)

custardavenger

Talking of that tensioner. I had a look at machining one. You'll have to give me the size of the bearing you have cos I'm struggling with it. Because the arm has a stud which it ataches to it really hard to get a wider bearing on there. Haven't looked yet at removing the stud (wanted to get a spare to try that on) cos if I can do that then its no problem. Will be over to see you soon to catch up. Got some bad news as well. That throttle valve I had for you got broken when some one nights used my bench. Will try and get you another.
Project Custard Clicky

spit

Quote from: "custardavenger"You'll have to give me the size of the bearing you have cos I'm struggling with it.

I'm seeing Steve at the weekend. I'll ask him to get it back for me if the engineering shop haven't lost it   s:? :? s:?  .

custardavenger

If your free next week I'll be over your way one afternoon. Should I bring my plumbing gear?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Project Custard Clicky

spit

Quote from: "custardavenger"If your free next week I'll be over your way one afternoon. Should I bring my plumbing gear?   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

All over the place chaos next week but hope we can hook up Rob.

NSK bearing is #6203DU. I have it here.

spit

Can anyone here remind my grey matter what size of oil feed restrictor works well with the Garrett? 35thou (0.9mm) rings a bell but I'm not sure its the right bell!

Thankee.

aaronjb

Yep, 0.035" or ~0.9mm for the BB series, e.g. :  m http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... gory_Code= m

0.065" acceptable for plain bearing or 'large' BB turbos according to ATP:  m http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mv ... gory_Code= m
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tags: