Air filter question????

Started by Simon, October 31, 2005, 11:51

Simon

Went to Halfords (for my sins  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  ) on Saturday for a new air filter and they told me that they had to make a special order and would cost me £35!

Could anyone tell me if this is about right or is it just halfords trying to rip me off?

Also if that is the case would I be better off getting a TRD filter or alternative re-useable filter rather than Halfords disposable?

Cheers!

Anonymous

I only paid around that for a K&N which has a life of around 100,000 miles.

Two's Company

I paid less than that for a TRD one from the US, although it did take about 4 months to get it!

Simon

Any suggestions on where I can get one from?

roger

I am guessing Halfrauds is just a bog standard, or are they giving it 100,000 miles? If so what make is it?

Any doubts Dieamond will do a proper TRD for 80 Euros + shipping (which won't be extortionate). Need to decide this week.

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=108905#108905

IMO a lot better than dealing with delays, duty, VAT etc from the states - even though it might end up a couple of £ cheaper.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

kanujunkie

[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

roger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"www.japanparts.com

Don't appear to sell the ordinary panel filter
Roger

kanujunkie

Quote from: "roger"

m http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist. ... =6&volkey= m
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"

Put MRS spyder in the search though, and it comes up with nothing found   s:? :? s:?  Is it just their inputting of insufficient data or do these not fit the MR2?? Suppose could get Part No etc from TRD site, I'll let you do that Stu if you want....got to do some work this morning !!!!!
Roger

kanujunkie

Put MRS spyder in the search though, and it comes up with nothing found   s:? :? s:?  Is it just their inputting of insufficient data or do these not fit the MR2?? Suppose could get Part No etc from TRD site, I'll let you do that Stu if you want....got to do some work this morning !!!!!

i just used the pull down menu structure on the left and one of the options was mr2 spyder, it will fit fine
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Simon

Thanks for that chaps!

looks like they want roughly the same price as Dieamond is asking, as he is a club member I'd rather the money goes to him!

I'm off to fish out me credit card!

Cheers

roger

i just used the pull down menu structure on the left and one of the options was mr2 spyder, it will fit fine

Don't know if you really want to continue this Stu, but you will note in your search that the box "by model", shows All Models. And it comes up with the filters.

If you pick MRS from that box, it comes up with nothing.
Roger

kanujunkie

Don't know if you really want to continue this Stu, but you will note in your search that the box "by model", shows All Models. And it comes up with the filters.

If you pick MRS from that box, it comes up with nothing.

try doing this Roger

pick Toyota then MRS (MR2 Spyder) then air element then TRD and hey presto you get what i said  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Sorry Stu, but you DON'T !

Have you tried it again. You will note your url has "all models", not "MRS Spyder", thats what brings up the filters you are showing for the 3S-GE and 1G-FE.

Do they fit our engine??
Roger

kanujunkie

ignore the link and try it for yourself

heres the TRD website link on air filters

m http://trdparts.jp/english/parts_airfilter.html m
[size=100]Stu[/size]

so.simple

They listed it under "Engine parts", on "Toyota MR-S <MR2 Spyder> Engine and Drivetrain"   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Here: http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=2&car=13&middle=1&small=1
Carlos

Anonymous

According to the K&N website Halfrauds are a recognised supplier of their panel filter. I would hope that that is what they are quoting £35 for ?

roger

Quote from: "so.simple"They listed it under "Engine parts", on "Toyota MR-S <MR2 Spyder> Engine and Drivetrain"   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:

Here: http://www.japanparts.com/db/partslist.php?dealer=2&car=13&middle=1&small=1

Thanks Carlos ...  I knew I wasn't going mad!
Roger

Simon

Which would be the better option TRD or K&N?

Anonymous

Probably much the same performance wise. I have used K&N on various other vehicles but not on the 2 - anyone answer this one ?

Part No for K&N is 33-2041-1  could check with Halfords

m http://www.knfilters.com/search/product ... =33-2041-1 m

roger

I know TRD are now "oiled for life", whereas K&N still require it done, (@ 50,000 I assume). May be of no consequence.

If there is not much difference in price i would definitely go for the TRD, just because its made by T (one assumes).

K&N MAY be exactly the same, but there again it may not, but i am sure it will work OK.

BTW when you do get an expensive filter make absolutely sure your  garage doesn't replace it at a service!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

If they then put a filter on your invoice they have either ripped you off, or its head down in their waste bin.   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:
Roger

heathstimpson

Quote from: "roger"I know TRD are now "oiled for life", whereas K&N still require it done, (@ 50,000 I assume).
Do you know the quoted life of a replacement drop in TRD filter Roger  s:?: :?: s:?:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

roger

Quote from: "heathstimpson"
Quote from: "roger"I know TRD are now "oiled for life", whereas K&N still require it done, (@ 50,000 I assume).
Do you know the quoted life of a replacement drop in TRD filter Roger  s:?: :?: s:?:

The one I've got says clean & re-oil every 30 - 50K. Sometime ago Dieamond mentioned the current filter being sold doesn't need re-oiling.

This could mean the old ones would last for ever, as long as you cleaned them, BUT it could also mean the new ones only last to 50K.

IMO I think this would be a retrograde step, so I am guessing they still last "forever".
Roger

heathstimpson

Quote from: "heathstimpson"

The one I've got says clean & re-oil every 30 - 50K. Sometime ago Dieamond mentioned the current filter being sold doesn't need re-oiling.

This could mean the old ones would last for ever, as long as you cleaned them, BUT it could also mean the new ones only last to 50K.

IMO I think this would be a retrograde step, so I am guessing they still last "forever".
But surely they must block intime and need replacement as they restrict airflow   s:? :? s:?  I have a new type that does not need oiling  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

roger

Quote from: "heathstimpson"But surely they must block intime and need replacement as they restrict airflow   s:? :? s:?  I have a new type that does not need oiling  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

I thought that was the whole point about the cleaning. As long as the construction of the filter withstands that I don't see why it shouldn't last for ever (like a metal / gauze one).

Thinking about it I assume the new ones still need cleaning, even if they don't need oiling, otherwise you would be right.
Roger

Tags: