Mix & Match Tyres

Started by Anonymous, August 29, 2003, 16:11

Anonymous

Seeing as us 03 drivers are not exactly spoilt for choice on tyres, i was wondering if anyone knows if its a problem having a mix & match setup. for example:

Rear: Michelin Pilot Sport
Front: Michelin Pilot EXALTO

So it would be more grippy at the rear than the front i guess with that setup. or:

Rear: Michelin Pilot Sport
Front: Goodyear Eagle F1's

I know on others cars its not too much of a problem if they dont match but with our setup would it cause any problems.

Cheers!

Anonymous

Is it really the setup that's at issue or the fact that we're more inclined to push our cars to the edge/over it?

I think you've spotted the issue already.  Mixing the tyres is likely to give more or less grip to one end than the other, leading to a tendancy to over/understeer.

But then the car will over/understeer anyway... changing the tyre, surely just changes when that will happen.  So you should then drive to match that change.

This isn't really a problem if you're aware of it, and don't push past it. And it's entirely possible that if they're similar tyres, the difference will be tiny anyway.

Maybe, I think, possibly, perhaps  s:) :) s:)

SteveJ

Remeber what you did to your car a while ago....... Imagine that 4 times worse (ie. all 4 wheels bent under the car) then you'll have an idea how bad mixing tyres can be.

Personal experience includes some serious tail-(un)happy moments along with terrible tramling on even the smoothest roads.

All I can say is PLEASE DON'T DO IT

Our car is so finely balanced, even the slightest difference front to back is really noticeable. This is not to say there may be the ultimate combination of tyres out there that will produce absolutely kick-ass grip, but the ass-kicking you are likely to experience trying to find them just isn't worth it.

Anonymous

arrhhh words of wisdom kris so quickly take them and dont mention mixing tyres again   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  LOL

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

wouldnt want another spin   s:P :P s:P    s:P :P s:P    s:P :P s:P    s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

ahhh, ok... point taken!   s:( :( s:(

markiii

Kris,

If your struggling for tyres.

I'd suggest either dropping to 215/40  at the rear which will allow you to use F1s all round or go up to either a 225/40 rear withj a 195/50 at the front, I beleive that this would allow Bridgestone S03's.

Or try the new Yopko Neovas in 195/50 front and 225/45 rear they are apparently very good.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Surely you havent gotten through your shoes yet Kris?

Anonymous

not yet but getting prepared for the winter as i dont fancy the yoko-crappys during the wet/icy weather.

filcee

Yep - get the bus, or still your other half's car.  I can't even get the '2 off the drive if it snows!
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Darth Paul

Quote from: "krisclarkuk"not yet but getting prepared for the winter as i dont fancy the yoko-crappys during the wet/icy weather.

My snow tyres will be going on sometime in November... Michelin Arctic Alpins.

All blasting about goes out of the window...

...but...

...as I work down a country lane – narrow and steep, which gets covered in ice and snow – I felt it was a sacrifice worth making.

Here's a story.

I was at work one Saturday (go figure) last winter. Six inches of snow on the ground. My bosses' wife tried taking her Merc up the lane, and spun it, damaging an alloy. Heavy rear drive.

So my boss, knowing that I had snow tyres on my car, asked me if I'd run her to the top of the lane. Shit, I thought. An UNNECESSARY JOURNEY. I really hate it when this happens – when you have to risk your car when you hadn't banked on it.

So naturally I said 'yes'. Dumbass.

In we hopped and off we went. There was a lorry blocking the lane, which had become stuck in the snow/ice. After waiting a few minutes, some burly farmers (nice!!  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  ) pushed it out of the way. It was that slippery – like a skating rink. So then it was my turn to try and get up the lane – with and audience of said burly farmers.

I pulled onto the lane and my (snow) tyres span on the ice. So I backed down the hill until I was on snow, and gently put my foot down. 15mph. Straight up the hill. Not one wheelspin. Light rear drive!

I was amazed. The farmers were gobsmacked. A rear wheel sports car, on ice, going UP a hill. And my wife complained when I bought them...

So, what high performance summer tyres will allow you to do that? None, methinks.

Get some snow puppies.

DP

filcee

Do you have two sets of wheels?  Or fo you pay the local tyre-fitter to swap them over?

Methinks a manky set of steels (in the right size & for rear wheel drive) & a set of Max Muppet wheel covers from Halfords might be in order ...
Phil
2003 6-sp SMT in Sable
x-2001 5-sp SMT in Lagoon Blue

Darth Paul

Quote from: "filcee"Do you have two sets of wheels?  Or fo you pay the local tyre-fitter to swap them over?

Methinks a manky set of steels (in the right size & for rear wheel drive) & a set of Max Muppet wheel covers from Halfords might be in order ...

Single set of wheels – I get them swapped over.

DP

Tem

Quote from: "phil4"Is it really the setup that's at issue or the fact that we're more inclined to push our cars to the edge/over it?

It's exactly that  s:) :) s:)  If you just drive to a grocery store and back like a granny, you won't ever notice a problem with mixed tyres. If you start pushing the car, that's another story. I bet it's impossible to find a good matching pair...just think of these options.

Dry tarmat, moist tarmac, wet tarmac, floating tarmac. Then add the outdoors temperatures of 30-90F and the tyres temperatures of 30-140F...and do I need to go on?  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:  

Wouldn't you hate to have a set of tyres without ever knowing which end snaps off first..? Just when you're getting comfy about the front slowly losing grip first, you'll notice that in the first cold day of autumn, the rear snaps loose first without any warning...
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Tags: