8" under dash sub !!!!

Started by Anonymous, August 29, 2003, 17:31

Anonymous

Guys, girls,
              Incase you are in the dark about this i am trying to make a underdash subwoffer like they over the pond, but the problem being that they have a 6" woffer (fine if thats what yuor after) but i think that the benerfits offered by the 8" sub are a lot higher than the 6". rigth now the problems i have come across

so if you could post possible answers and info to these i would appricate it a lot. i will use this thread to ask anymore questions and give you a update on how im going   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:   LOL   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

so,

1) i understand that the AC controller and wireing looms are mounted behind the dash i wonder if anyone could post a picture of under the dash on drivers side and passengers side so i can see if there are any differences. thankyou

2) if running a sub you will need it to be amplified so if i could find a place for the amp under the dash would people be up for that idea saving space in the bins

3) have people got anyprobelms with me using a JL 8" sub for the modle to biuld the box to i.e. depth here is the web page with all info on power etc. they cost around £150. but you could use any 8" woffer as long as it's no deeper   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  
 m http://www.jlaudio.com/subwoofers/8w3v2.html m

4) would people be ok on installing amps and subs or shall i produce a manual with pics etc on line, (i think i have done this so search audio section)

so if i come up with anymore questions then i will post here but if somone could get those pics of uderdash with AC i would be very greatfull   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

cheers

Buster   s8) 8) s8)

markiii

I await the flames from Ed.

Dave,

There was an original 8" version of the ud sub. Ed Black has it. The problem is that it neccesitates moving controllers and stuff out of the way and is apparently a major PITA to install. Hence why they only did one and then moved to the UD JNr with the 6" variety.

I would agree with your sub of choice though if your going to go 8" might be worth lookig at the dual voice coil rockford as well.

Remember the sub will need to fire down or the dash is going to vibrate itself into oblivion.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

yeah but i think having a look at mine that without AC the box will fit ok and that the sub will fire down and the box will be fixed into the chassis points of the dash

SteveJ

Interesting you think lack of AC makes a difference - having owned '2s with and now without AC, there appears to be no difference under the dash.

The AC heat exchanger is inside the heater blower unit AFAIK - having looked at Mark's AC car alongside my non-AC car seems to confirm this.

Anonymous

well when i worked on Liz's the other day in which she didnt have AC but she did have all the wireing looms there etc i.e. behind the center console.

i noticed a small amount of rroom that was taken by a box with 2 loom plug's going to it which is where i was thinking of placing the UD sub!

But if you could post pics of a AC 2 under the dash drivers side and passengers side i can have a look   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Is there any more news on this buster?

J

markiii

a good question, I have aircon and I'd be up for one, of these, how quick are you looking to have this ready as I'm almost at the point of ordering one from the US.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

SteveJ

The state-side UD sub goes above the steering column on the drivers side so the AC isn't an issue.

markiii

and apparently will fit either side if you don't have air con, so you could fit 2

Chris

Quote from: "Buster"2) if running a sub you will need it to be amplified so if i could find a place for the amp under the dash would people be up for that idea saving space in the bins

saving what little sapce there is by finding cunning little homes for stuff like amps etc is always good in my book!   s:) :) s:)  

I was thinking about this the other day, but more from the point of putting a cd/md changer or mp3 unit up there, on a shelf mounted to some brackets.  would be good to have the amp up there as well!!!  mind you, i'm not really planning on going for a sub and i reckon the a decent set of components should work ok from an uprated h/u without the need for an amp...
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Slacey

Quote from: "Chris"i'm not really planning on going for a sub and i reckon the a decent set of components should work ok from an uprated h/u without the need for an amp...
I'm running Focal components in the doors and Sony 6x9's in the storage bins with my Sony CDX-CA900 H/U with no problems and no need for an amp - the H/U is plenty powerful enough to run what I need. Buster thought it may get really hot and advised me to make sure there were no cables touching the H/U (which I did), but after running to Santa Pod with it on loud all the way (nearly two hours) it was warm at best, nowhere near as hot as I thought it would be, so I won't bother with an amp now.
Ex 2002 Black / Red Leather Hass Turbo

Anonymous

Rigth guys and girls

Forgot i started this Thread LOL

so heres the update

I went and had a look at a AC car and relised that it made no difference so i took some moulds from my car and at teh moment are in teh proces of making a glass fiber mould to fix the MDF 2 but progress is slow as Glass fibering upside down is very hard !!!!!

But once moulds is made i can us ethe same one!

I would say that i should have the first one by xmas time !  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Oh and byt teh looks of it i can get a 10" under there !!!!!!!!!!

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"Remember the sub will need to fire down or the dash is going to vibrate itself into oblivion.

Just for imformation, Ed Blacks original UD sub Snr. (8") fires downwards, the Junior version was first tried firing downwards, but the final design has it firing upwards as this gave better performance. If you want to search long and hard on SC you'll find that performance of the 8" and 6" versions are very similar. So similar it was deemed not worth the extra hassle of cramming an 8" driver up there...

Quote from: "Buster"i noticed a small amount of rroom that was taken by a box with 2 loom plug's going to it which is where i was thinking of placing the UD sub!

A word of caution here, if that box is the one under the carpet immediately behind the ashtray, thats the airbag controller. If (and I say if because I dont know for sure) that box has any kind of onboard sensors on it, you may impair the operation of the airbags in a collision by moving it, or subjecting it to very loud renditions of Girls Aloud...

Toyota seem to have been very deliberate in the placement and mounting of this particular little box. Its securley mounted directly to the chassis in the centreline of the car. Theres a dozen other places they could have put instead, which would have had shorter cable runs, and less chance of interference from owners, which makes me wonder exactly why its there.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Chris

Quote from: "Buster"Rigth guys and girls

Forgot i started this Thread LOL

so heres the update

I went and had a look at a AC car and relised that it made no difference so i took some moulds from my car and at teh moment are in teh proces of making a glass fiber mould to fix the MDF 2 but progress is slow as Glass fibering upside down is very hard !!!!!

But once moulds is made i can us ethe same one!

I would say that i should have the first one by xmas time !  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

Oh and byt teh looks of it i can get a 10" under there !!!!!!!!!!

Still on course for xmas?  (apologies if this has been answered elsewhere!)
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Anonymous

errr no sorry i got loads of important exams for my finals after xmas so im revising and studing my arse of to pass it so it been put on halt for the mean while sorry guys

But i will crack on with it after my exams i promise   s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

My money time and pactience has run out on this project ! so i will be quiteing this now, i strill have 1 mould completed and once had talks with a few people i may get it up and running again but for the time being work has stopped  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:  

sorry

Anonymous

Gee fellas, all you had to do was ask.  Yes, I know it looks like you can cram a caravan of Gypsies up under the dash, but it is not as easy as it looks.  My car has the only 8" UD Sub and it took some the most talented car audio guys I have ever met six months to figure it out.  Major modifications had to be made to the car.  If I had it to do over again, I would go with the 6.5 inch JL Audio 6W0.  Firing up takes advantage of the corner effect and it does indeed sound just as good as the 8" speaker.  In fact, I just had a modified version of the UD Sub, Jr.  installed in my 1950 GMC shortbed pickup truck and it sounds super.

Many have tried to knock off this idea and not one has succeeded.

I understand that there are a few UD Subs now over there across the pond and they are all working well.

Oh, and keep your grubby kipper eating mitts off my Avatar or I'll fly over there and open up a can of good old USA whoopass.  Or not.

Anonymous

no worries uncle sam   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   i knew that i could be done it just involes a lot of time and money to get the moulding just rigth!

i need a air compressor to spray the glass fiber up and under the dash as otheriwse i cant get a good engoth mould

Tags: