The new Hayward & Scott twin Exhaust

Started by GSB, June 2, 2003, 12:08

GSB

Here is the prototype exhaust as created for the Mk3 MR2 Roadster/ Spyder by Hayward and Scott in Basildon. The production design is the same as this with the addition of a clamp and sleeve arrangement to allow the hieght of teh tips to be changed and thus cater for people who have cars with bodykits, or those who require diiferent tips.

Apologies for the dirt and general filth visible in the photos, the weather has taken its toll, and the photo of the car with the bumper stripped off was taken after some 6000 miles had been covered with the new exhaust...

Technical and Pricing

Hayward & Scott have set the price for this system is £400+VAT (£470 inc VAT)Although keep an eye out in the buying and selling forum for any group buys, they have managed to squeeze the price down to £350+VAT inclusive of fitting.

The exhaust weighs in at 23lbs, as compared to 28lbs for the stock system.

An independant dyno run on Roger H's car provided the following data

Key:

W.BHP Stock = BHP at the wheels (measured) on Stock Exhaust
W.BHP Mod = BHP at the wheels (measured) with Hayward & Scott
F.BHP Stock = BHP at the Flywheel (calculated) on Stock Exhaust
F.BHP Mod = BHP at the Flywheel (calculated) with Hayward & Scott
W.LB.FT Stock = Torque at the wheels (measured) on stock Exhaust
W.LB.FT Mod = Torque at the wheels (measured) with Hayward & Scott
F.LB.FT Stock = Torque at the Flywheel (calculated) with Stock Exhaust
F.LB.FT Mod = Torque at the Flywheel (calculated) with Hayward & Scott

The plot includes power at wheels and flywheel, both before and after the fitment of the exhaust. The only other engine mod to this car is a K&N filter panel in the stock air intake.

UPDATE:

Hayward & Scott can now recess the exhaust into the rear bumper as seen below, this is a unique option...

For more details visit the website at:
http://www.haywardandscott.co.uk

Users impressions

Quote from: "GSB"It sounds incredible, Nice and bassy when pulling away from junctions etc without sounding like a Max Power Nova. At higher revs it seems to quieten down a bit, but still sounds really good all the way to the red line.

The car seems to be a lot more lively in the bottom half of the rev range, even breaking traction occasionaly at fairly low revs while I was driving it yesterday, which is not something its normally prone to do.

At motorway speeds on an even throttle it is very quiet only making it's presence known when you floor it or lift right off the throttle. Conversation is always possible at any stage though, and the noise isnt too intrusive. Also, and this was one of my major concerns, it doesn't seem to get boomy at any particular speed. Ive heard exhausts before that seem to resonate at a particular speed. This one doesn't. Dont get me wrong though, if your a bit of a wallflower and dont like a bit of extra noise, or don't like people looking at you when you blast past them like a screaming banshee and drift sideways around the next corner, you wont like it. But then again, if your one of those people, why the hell did you buy an MR2?

It definitley sounds best when scratching down country lanes though. The sound when changing down and braking for a corner is brilliant, with a few little pops and crackles on the over run if you're really leaving the braking late for the corner! Everyone who drove the car this weekend loved it, and it gave me the oppurtunity to listen to the car from the outside as well, it sounds just as good and not the least bit offensive from the outside.

Quote from: "yorkie"When the car came off the ramp we started it up and gave it a few heavy dabs of the throttle. It was nice and throaty at the high revs but didn't sound any different at low revs. Still, I had my lovely looking exhaust not really sure what difference the sound would make, if any. The short 1/2 mile out of the industrial estate further raised my doubts about any credible sound difference worhty of the £400+ price tag. But as soon as the new boy had been warmed up a little more the difference was quite astonishing. The tone from the tail pipes was rich and deep at low revs and sporty at high revs. It was a lovely feeling burning up the slip road of the motorway with my foot planted to the floor and huge grin on my face.

Quote from: "Markiii"Sound on Phils, everything I'd expected and better when hot, lovely burble fruity is the word. better than ANY aftermarket exhaust for the two with maybe the moon along side depending on your preferences. It has a moon like sound when thrashed quite at idle with that lovely deeb bass you (sometimes) get from the TTE/REMUS when under load.

Performance on Phils, definate improvement over stock, partially due to the HUGE, I say again HUGE difference in weight. I know we have a weigth somewhere, but subjectively having picked up the stock oil can and the H&S box without downpipes it feel half the weight.

Now sound an performance on mine. I've listed this seperately as I also had H&S fit a decat pipe so my experience will be a-typical. a little noisier than Phils, but f*ck me. having lost the best part of 20lb (I'll weigth it later) from the tail the car handles very neutrally, the tendancy for the back to start going on fast bends has left completely, even on thsi basis alone it was worth it. (I took Phil out and scared him a little so expect comments soon)

The power increase is fantastic, in 2nd and third the needle just shoots around the rev counter and the whole car just feels so much more responsive. I'll dyno later and post the results with and without the decat pipe. but for the curious I haven't had an engine check light yet, whether it will appear in the next few days we'll have to see.

Quote from: "Blanco"Oh .... my..... god!  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  
What a noise.

Quote from: "Comer"The exhaust looks and sounds the business, especially with the Apexi   s:D :D s:D   Coming off the throttle on a motorway sliproad at 80-70 gives a very nice sound.  Also if it's funny to see drivers on the opposite carriageway turn their heads at the sound when you pull away at the lights.

Quote from: "Roger H"Words and expletives can't describe how I feel about this system. The sound is absolutely AWESOME  s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:    s:!: :!: s:!:   I've always liked driving my 2, but the past was nothing compared with now. I am in total and utter ectasy. I keep backing off on the throttle into over-run, then blipping the throttle again. The deep throaty sound it produces is bleeding fanatastic
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

nice mate, very nice.

Comer

I really like the look of that.  I really want a dual exit exhaust to balance the look of my car but I'm not overly keen on the size of the TTE / Remus tips (4 inches) I think.  

I'm probably the only '2 owner happy with the size of the single stock tip but I want two of them!!  That 3.5 inch exit looks subtle enough for me.

Grant are you coming to JAE?

PS Anyone know how long the stock exhaust normally lasts.  Mine has only done 8.5k and I'm keen to get some use out of it first  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

GSB

Quote from: "Comer"I really like the look of that.  I really want a dual exit exhaust to balance the look of my car but I'm not overly keen on the size of the TTE / Remus tips (4 inches) I think.  

I'm probably the only '2 owner happy with the size of the single stock tip but I want two of them!!  That 3.5 inch exit looks subtle enough for me.

Grant are you coming to JAE?

PS Anyone know how long the stock exhaust normally lasts.  Mine has only done 8.5k and I'm keen to get some use out of it first  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

I may come along to JAE, depends when it is to be honest as I have a fairly busy schedule throughout the summer.  If I can make it up there, then I will definitely come along.

The stock exhaust is built like a tank from Stainless steel, I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted a good 10 years. If you're going to modify it, I wouldn't hang around waiting for your old one to rot out...

As for the tip sizes, these are 3 inch, and are fairly subtle. You could go for small ovals like the MGF if you want it to look a little more inconspicuous?
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Comer

Cheers Grant I didn't realise the stock was stainless steel.  In that case I may as well get a new one sooner rather than later.

I'm tempted by the H&S but that depends on whether I get made redundant in the next 2 weeks  s:cry: :cry: s:cry:
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

Anonymous

looks good they done a nice job!

Tips look a but small but i beat it sounds assume   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:

Anonymous

GSB

What is the benefit of having slash-cut tips?

BRILLIANT choice of car colour!!  Have you seen one in sable yet? I'm still looking.

That Magnex system you spotted on EBAY went for £254. I was pipped by a quid at the last few seconds!!!

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Quote from: "Roger H"What is the benefit of having slash-cut tips?
Purely aesthetics really.

BTW I bid on that Magnex exhaust briefly too.  Too rich for me for a used system really.  I may well go for this H&S system when I can afford it.

--H--

Anonymous

H

Thanks for the reply.

I can get a TTE for about £425/£450 fitted in Stratford upon Avon, instead of going all the way to Basildon.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

Anonymous

Fair enough, but it may be worth finding out how much the H&S ssytem is excluding fitting, and then how much it would cost you to get it fit locally.

Just a thought.

--H--

GSB

Quote from: "Roger H"What is the benefit of having slash-cut tips?

As Hardcore says, its purely for looks. I thought that given the shape of the bumper in that area, the slash cut tips would look better than straight cuts. it makes no difference whatsoever to performance, and if you'd rather have straight cut, they'll put them on for you. If you think mine look a bit small then they can do them bigger, one of the bigger ones I saw in the workshop was a 6" oval tip.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Not to sure a pair of tps that size would suit the '2 though...

GSB

As above, and in every other current topic related to the subject of exhausts, theprice of the H&S exhaust has now been lowered to £400+VAT or £470 including VAT.

Chris

Quote from: "Comer"I really like the look of that.  I really want a dual exit exhaust to balance the look of my car but I'm not overly keen on the size of the TTE / Remus tips (4 inches) I think.

SteveJ was talking about this at the chelmsford meet - he likes the standard tip but was wondering about having two of 'em!!  Wasn't adam experimenting with this?

QuotePS Anyone know how long the stock exhaust normally lasts.  Mine has only done 8.5k and I'm keen to get some use out of it first  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:

Doh!!  I got rid of mine after about 4k!!   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:    s8) 8) s8)
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

markiii

TTE/Remus is 3.5" stock is 2.3"
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

GSB

Quote from: "markiii"TTE/Remus is 3.5" stock is 2.3"

I've just parked my car next to a TTE equipped '2. The TTE tips are much bigger than my H&S 3 inch tips. Plus of course, they are straight cut ovals.

Anonymous

The Hayward & Scott system sounds very impressive indeed, where are they based and how do you contact them?

SteveJ

Quote from: "SteveM"The Hayward & Scott system sounds very impressive indeed, where are they based and how do you contact them?

Read this thread :-

http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=1555&highlight=

No contact details, but then you won't get a system for the price that the current owners have going privately, and there is no space in the production schedule until next Feb

GSB

Quote from: "SteveM"The Hayward & Scott system sounds very impressive indeed, where are they based and how do you contact them?

Go back to the very first post in this very thread, all the details you need are there, including a link to H&S's website.

Alternatively, if you like what you see, put your name down for the next group buy and recieve a sizeable discount.

markiii

I think we're up to 5 at the moment on the 2nd GB, so keep them coming.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

i like the look of both exhausts
i live in scotland can i get a H&S exhaust up here??
what do MR T charge for there TTE?

GSB

Quote from: "aarongr"i like the look of both exhausts
i live in scotland can i get a H&S exhaust up here??
what do MR T charge for there TTE?

H&S will ship anywhere you want, and you can either fit it yourself or have your local garage do it. Talk to Ian on 01268 727256. I believe the price at the top of this post is still correct.

The TTE cost varies, I was quoted c.£500 plus fitting, but that was quite a while ago. Bear in mind though that the Remus costs a lot less than that, and is the same exhaust... (bar the tips of course)

heathstimpson

Quote from: "GSB"H&S will ship anywhere you want, and you can either fit it yourself or have your local garage do it. Talk to Ian on 01268 727256. I believe the price at the top of this post is still correct.
We are awaiting our new H&S exhausts from the second group buy, the price being £35+VAT more than the original GB one stated on the top of this post. It was a lot more if individually ordered; you may be able to tag another one on the current group but @ £385 + Vat fitted. Possibly discounted for fit yourself; tie up with Markiii & see:
 m http://www.mr2roc.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1555 m
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

Just thought I'd make my addition to the post. All I can do is reiterate the best description of this system made by Roger H "The deep throaty sound it produces is bleeding fanatastic"

I must admit that initially the H&S was pretty loud but after a few months of "settling in" the sound is now awsome, perfect even. The sound has changed from a slightly edgy baritone note, which was especially resonant at about 3K revs, to a very smooth baritone note at low revs, rising to a fu**ing awesome scream at the top end. The resonance at about 3K seems to have faded away. The overall sound is not offensive but beautiful - if any heads are turned as you drive down the road it must be because people want know what car is producing such sweet noise.

This system is the dogs.

Note: after having your system fitted you will probably be disapointed when the engine is first fired - it will sound absolutely no different when cold. Once it heats up though, you'll be laughing.  s:twisted: :twisted: s:twisted:  

Anyone near Manchester airport, drive through the ringway tunnel with the roof down, it's a truly spiritual experience  s:D :D s:D

Anonymous

this is what i want i want two outlets one either side approx 4cm by 12cm that would look the dogs bollox the sorta rectangle shape ones

heathstimpson

I must admit I love hitting tunnels and bridges just to hear that sound echo....  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Tags: