The new Hayward & Scott twin Exhaust

Started by GSB, June 2, 2003, 12:08

Anonymous

Quote from: "heathstimpson"I must admit I love hitting tunnels and bridges just to hear that sound echo....  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

It'll echo a lot better if you drive through the middle of the tunnel or bridge instead...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

heathstimpson

Quote from: "ekona"
Quote from: "heathstimpson"I must admit I love hitting tunnels and bridges just to hear that sound echo....  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

It'll echo a lot better if you drive through the middle of the tunnel or bridge instead...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  U make me laugh; I would not want to be hitting a tunnel at that speed eh  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Liz

Didn't realise the arse end of mine was on this thread as well   s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  , I can relate to the tunnels especially since the cats have been gutted, went underneath a railway bridge the other day and gave it a blip just to hear it   s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D    s:D :D s:D

As you are in Essex Baz, you are more than welcome to meet up if you want to hear what it sounds like.
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

Having just looked at the reviews I`m very tempted to get a H&S system myself. Just one question, will it affect the warranty in any way?

Anonymous

Yes and No:

Toyota could claim that you've invalidated your warranty by using a non-approved part.

However... you're much more likely to find that it'll only invalidate a warranty claim if the exhaust itself can be shown to have caused the damage (eg. melting the engine lid).  

So far I've made a few warranty claims as follows:

wheels - no questions asked
timing chain tensioner - they suggested it, not me, no questions
accesory belt tensioner - "that's not a standard exhaust (sharp intake of breath)", then no questions
roof rattles - no questions asked
steering knock on full lock - no questions

So all in all, no real problems.

Comer

Quote from: "FunkyMonkey"Having just looked at the reviews I`m very tempted to get a H&S system myself. Just one question, will it affect the warranty in any way?

As your Herts based like me you could always switch to a dealer like Jemca in North London who would not query it.
Michael

Ex:    Black 2002 MR2 Roadster
Now:  Black 2002 Rav4 Cruiser

heathstimpson

Quote from: "phil4"Yes and No:

Toyota could claim that you've invalidated your warranty by using a non-approved part.

However... you're much more likely to find that it'll only invalidate a warranty claim if the exhaust itself can be shown to have caused the damage (eg. melting the engine lid).  

So far I've made a few warranty claims as follows:

wheels - no questions asked
timing chain tensioner - they suggested it, not me, no questions
accesory belt tensioner - "that's not a standard exhaust (sharp intake of breath)", then no questions
roof rattles - no questions asked
steering knock on full lock - no questions

So all in all, no real problems.
Exactly the same with me; they have never even mentioned it  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

Anonymous

Cheers peeps I am definately tempted to go for it

Bongo

I want one and this thread is like torture.

Where's the GB?

(having said that, I hope it's not too soon the taxman has my cash   s:( :( s:(  )

Anonymous

I love the "retro" look of the silencer - it looks like it came straight off a Bugatti or vintage Rolls Royce. However, that "retro" look will undoubtedly attract the attention of the technical inspector (=MOT) and consequently a Type Approval Certificate will be requested. Does anyone know if this silencer has such a Certificate (for the EU for instance)? I have emailed them already about this but haven't received an answer yet...

Has anyone that bought one and got it fitted by a third party, got information on how easy (or difficult) it was to get it fitted to the MR2 correctly? (Any welding required?)

Cheers

GSB

Your fellow Countryman "RedRaceR" has one fitted to his car, so he may be able to tell you more on this front...

As for fitting, its a damn site easier than fitting the stock silencer, its lighter, smaller, and once its hung in the right place, you can set the hieight of the two tips individually. I've taken mine off a couple of times and its never been a problem for me.
[size=50]Ex 2001 MR2 Roadster in Silver
Ex 2004 Facelift MR2 Roadster in Sable Grey
Ex 2007 Mazda 6 MPS in Mica Black
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"Your fellow Countryman "RedRaceR" has one fitted to his car, so he may be able to tell you more on this front...

As for fitting, its a damn site easier than fitting the stock silencer, its lighter, smaller, and once its hung in the right place, you can set the hieight of the two tips individually. I've taken mine off a couple of times and its never been a problem for me.

Cheers, I'll have to check with him through pm.

Typically, just 5 min after writing the post, I got a reply from H&S who quoted a price (£400). Unfortunately, they do not issue any EU certificates.

I was wondering whether any certificates are required in the UK for instance. Do you have to get it checked at all? Or does it just have to be quiet enough not to have to wear ear plugs (and attract the Police's attention)   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

markiii

exhaust wise, as long as you pass annual emmissions and it's niot a noise nuisance, you can do what you like.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

looking at the pics on this thread it appears that the H+S zaust has one back box ?

Gordon Scott has just come back to me via e-mail to say the following:-

what we can do is a Cat. replacement pipe for £110 + delivery + VAT carrying on in 3" pipe  over the cross member, then splitting into a Y piece which is then reduced down in size so each side of the exhaust will now equal the same area as the 3" through 2 straight through boxes and then exit one either side. The price of that is £450 + delivery/fitting + VAT.
The noise level is about 96-98 decibels, not ever so loud.

Anonymous

Perry, no idea who Gordon Scott is (head in sand).... but my H&S does indeed have one back box.   Or at least one oil-drum.

Anonymous

Mmmm thanks for that, i've mailed him back for clarification

GSB

Gordon Scott is I think the top man at H&S and by the looks of it he's just quoted you for a mk2 Turbo...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
Current 2013 Mazda MX5 2.0 \'Venture Edition\' Roadster Coupe in Brilliant Black[/size]

markiii

looks that way, I can't see an easy way of mounting twin silencers under teh roadster.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

heathstimpson

I agree; its a struggle to get one in  s:? :? s:?

Anonymous

Quote from: "GSB"Gordon Scott is I think the top man at H&S and by the looks of it he's just quoted you for a mk2 Turbo...  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

quite possibly, but thats a single boxoem as well

also my mail said

Being a recent member of the UK MR2 Roadster club I believe you make an exhaust for this car that comes highly recommended.

My car is a 2003 model to which I have added a Power Enterprise Turbo system, consequently I am keen to free up the system and release as much power as possible.

so a little hard to confuse, but hopefully he will come back shortly?

heathstimpson

It will be interesting as this set looks unique to all previous ones including Darrens  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:

GSB

"...3" over cross member..."

Not possible on the Mk3?, especially seeing as he wont have seen the PE turbo kit before either... Its definitly a case of crossed wires with regards to the mk2 exhaust, for which they even more well known...

Anonymous

does look that way matey

Anonymous

well, an interesting development  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  

I mailed Gordon Scott to ask if he in fact was referring to the roadster and he said

To Perry

We have now found when using stainless steel that on this vehicle the 2 box system is better as it reduces the harmonic resonance on this particular vehicle.

Regards

Gordon Scott

GSB

Ask him for a picture can you Perry?

Tags: