How often do U check your engine oil??

Started by Anonymous, November 23, 2005, 23:20

heathstimpson

Quote from: "weaselchops"Once a week, along with tyre pressures when the 2 is cleaned.

Quote from: "heathstimpson"You have time to wash every week; I wish I did   s:? :? s:?

s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  Bugger living with you, stinky boy....  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:
Ex MR2 Roadster Turbo (seven years) now 997 Porsche Carrera 4 GTS

Anonymous

My black mr2 suffered precat failure- it constantly puked out blue smoke, particuarly when you put the engine under load. the car used 5 litres of oil in 3 days (engine only holds 4.5litres!!) and the car had no power whatsoever (i couldn't keep up with my girlfriends 1.1 106 at 70mph on the bypass!!) the engine also made a tappy / rattly noise as if the top end had been starved of oil a few times in the past.

when the dealership i bought it from took it into the toyota garage, they commented it was the worst wear they had seen to date.

subsequently, the dealership realised it would cost too much for them to fix the car, gave me my money back and put the car through a market.

I then decided to buy my silver one privately so therefore got more for my money and I've bought the toyota extended warranty at £580 for two years including RAC cover (coz of club toyota)

Anonymous

I have a bit of a scraping noise coming from the engine (no one else can hear it though) and it's just white condensation type smoke in the mornings, but it's quite a lot, and it doesn't disappear until the car is up to operational temperature, and even then I see a bit coming out of the exhaust no an again

Really need to sort my warranty out when I get home.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "extremeMR2"I have a bit of a scraping noise coming from the engine (no one else can hear it though) and it's just white condensation type smoke in the mornings, but it's quite a lot, and it doesn't disappear until the car is up to operational temperature, and even then I see a bit coming out of the exhaust no an again

our engines can sound a little scrapey as you put it when they start and even from new mine has produced a lot of smoke on colder mornings, dont fret, this is just condensation forming and is quite normal.

if the smoke were slightly bluish in colour or even black then that would be a matter
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

QuoteextremeMR2 wrote:
I have a bit of a scraping noise coming from the engine (no one else can hear it though) and it's just white condensation type smoke in the mornings, but it's quite a lot, and it doesn't disappear until the car is up to operational temperature, and even then I see a bit coming out of the exhaust no an again

Like Stuart says AKA kanujunkie

it is normal to have white smoke as you put it. However if you do hear a knocking noise of like metal hitting metal when you REV the engine this ain't normal.  Cos this is what my car was doing and hence the reason why I put the question of "how often do you check your engine oil"

Anonymous

I need to check my oil level about once a month, i asked toyota why the car was using so much oil and they recon that its normal and the car is designed to use alot of oil to save the engine.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "mrS dan"I need to check my oil level about once a month, i asked toyota why the car was using so much oil and they recon that its normal and the car is designed to use alot of oil to save the engine.

that wrong, a good engine will use a certain amount of oil but not much at all , i take it you have been reading the threads on pre-cats and have checked them out to be sure?
[size=100]Stu[/size]

proeliator2001

Like Aaron said, the dealerships go by what Toyota tell them and, with everything on the wrong tollerance (giving worst gaps etc) then yeah, maybe a litre per 1000 miles is about right.  Doubt many engines get made like that but higher oil use than the rest of us shouldn't olny mean it is only a pre-cat problem.  I've had cars that drunk oil for the first 4-5k and ones like this that haven't even needed a top up in over 7k.
Official - old git alert. 42 years old!
Facts  are meaningless - they can be used to prove anything.

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

Anonymous

So if you, say you go through a tank of fuel a week (+-300miles) that's 900 -1000 miles in a month. Correct???

The difference between full and empty on the dipstick is that of about 1L of oil. so in one month you can go from full to empty (According to Mr T's 1000 to 1L oil consumption)?? Surely that's not right

proeliator2001

The 1L/1000 miles is a max limit.  You see it on all sorts of hardware.  It is a limit that the designers say a worst case bit of kit will reach.  On most things, it's done to prevent warranty claims or replacing bits when they aren't needed.  I've seen jet turbines use only a tenth of what their alleged normal operating limit implies.  You'd be very unlucky to ever get an engine that would use that much and as tolerances improve along with better engine management and material use, modern engines use a fraction of the oil compared to their antecedants.  That's not to say someone won't get one though!

2004 MR2 in silver with hardtop, leather, aircon and only 1 door handle.(11 happy years together and counting!)

kanujunkie

Quote from: "proeliator2001"I've seen jet turbines use only a tenth of what their alleged normal operating limit implies.  

unless its a JT-9D which generally uses about 1.5 gallons of oil per 2000 miles. God you have to love old technology  s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
[size=100]Stu[/size]

proeliator2001

Still, 3.5 litres per 1000 miles isn't bad for something that can each shift around 70 tons at up to 560 mph   s8) 8) s8)

aaronjb

Speaking of checking oil - I just finished changing mine. Halfords have a dire selection of oil now  s:( :( s:(  I ended up having to go for Castrol 0W-40 as that was the closest to what I really wanted (5 or 10W-40). There was really only a choice of Castrol Edge Sport 0W-40 (replacement for the old Castrol RS), Castrol Edge 5W-30, Mobil1 15W-50 or Halfords own. Grr.

Still, it'll have no problems circulating the engine in the cold weather, that's for sure.

Also checked my preCATs while I was at it - they look pristine.. I'm actually starting to think my car had a new engine before I got it..
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Anonymous

Please could someone tell me what is a Precat.  I have no real understanding on what this really is. Also what does the have to do with the engine oil? (I'm asking in a polite manner)  s:) :) s:)

Anonymous

In addition to my question above. How do you check your Precat and what should I be looking out for? i.e. faults

markiii

do a search on precats, there are volumes already written that should answer your question fully.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Chris

Quote from: "extremeMR2"I hate checking the oil, cause every time you take the dipstick out, you get a different reading, they are so Difficult to read. probably the worst design ever ! ! ! !  s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

I do mine when something like this thread reminds me too...   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:   but probably no more than 1 every few months.  Never had to add any, unless it got done at service time.

I too can get different readings on both sides of the stick, so i guess i'll only start to worry when i dip and see there is none!!   s:roll: :roll: s:roll:
[size=100]
2004 Maroon Lotus Elise 111R[/size]
[size=80]Ex 2004 Red 6sp MT TTE Turbo
Ex 2003 Astral Black 6sp SMT
Ex 2002 Lagoon Blue 5sp MT
[/size]

Tags: