Power flat spot.......

Started by Anonymous, September 1, 2003, 10:34

Anonymous

Whoops. Been away from the computer.......

Emmanuele, the car was on the motorway and had been going for about 2 hours when I noticed the dip in power when trying to overtake a middle lane dodderer. So, presume what you are asking is irrelevant, I think. But I know what you mean.

As for the last time I did 100mph, well, strangely enough, it wasn't that long ago at about 3.00am along the M6 trying to get back on a Sunday morning to play football!!! Car seemed fine then (deserted road, I was on my own and I was bored. Please don't flame me!!!!  s:? :? s:?  )

As for what Rogue had, what I have seems similar, but the engine doesn't lose power to the extent that nothing is happening, as was Rogue's, but there is a very definate power "drop" (its the wrong word to describe it, but its as close as I can get). Also, I haven't seen the engine warning light come on at all......

As for the oil pressure, how can you tell if it is too high or too low? I have checked the oil and the level is fine and the oil is clean and it doesn't look like it is using any as I have checked it three or four times since its 10K service (3K ago) and it hasn't changed. So, not sure if that has anything to do with it (could be VERY wrong.....)

Like I said, the problem doesn't seem to be happening at the moment, so fingers crossed it was some werid anomaly or something, but I will definately keep an eye out for things and if anyone comes up with any more answers or suggestions, I will take them on board with great appreciation. Thanks guys. You've all been big help! I will keep you posted on how things go...........

markiii

as long as your oil is between the min and max markers you shoudl be fine. Just don't let it get too low, or overfill it.
Gallardo Spyder<br />Ex Midnight Blue 911 T4S<br />EX VXR220<br />Ex Custom Turbo 2001 Sahara Sun MR2 Roadster 269bp, 240lbft<br /><br />MR2ROC Committee 2002 - 2009<br /><br />

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"Oh god! Bugger! None of this sounds good!

Well, the power loss isn't there at the moment. Just been out in it and its fine, for now.

Before I go on ANY journey over about 100miles, I always check the oil and the oil was nice and high and very clean, so I don't think there is too mich of a problem there. Will check it again later though, in case it has dropped since the journey.

And it did feel like the VVTi wasn't working correctly. It was a very weird sensation. Got to about the 4500rpm mark and the car felt like it had quickly had an eleastic band attached to the back of the car. It kept going, but without the pull that it had. Normally, (and I know this is bad), it would FLY to 100mph, but not this time. Really struggled over 4500rpm and took a while to get there.

I will continue to check on the oil and will also give it a balt every now and then to check that it is OK.

The Pre-cats. How can I get those checked to see if they are knackered and if they are, what are the consequences to the car and the engine? And almost as importantly, as my car is now out of warranty, how much are they toget fixed if they are knackered?

I am getting quite scared now........

I've been saying this since i've had my car - http://www.mr2roc.org/viewtopic.php?t=375

As you can see its not just you, i await the answers to this eagerly.

Anonymous

Right oh Mark. Will do. Thanks!

Lets just hope the flat spot doesn't come back!!!

What IS the oil capacity of engine? Is it in the handbook? Might provide my own oil next service and make damn sure they fill it exactly.........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"What IS the oil capacity of engine? Is it in the handbook? Might provide my own oil next service and make damn sure they fill it exactly.........  s:roll: :roll: s:roll:    s:evil: :evil: s:evil:
4l IIRC.  Anyone?

--H--

Anonymous

Reet oh. Thats proper bo, I tell thee!

Can I get a reeeee-----wind!

(hmmmm.......don't know what came over me then.........  s:? :? s:?    s:shock: :shock: s:shock:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  )

Biggun! Have you got this problem sorted as yet? And can you describe the feeling a little more please cos I want to know if it what is going on with my car. Yours also has a LOT less milage than mine, but we are both still well under 15K, so you would hope that it is nothing too drastic (other than these "pre-cats" buggering up. I REALLY don't like the sound of that........)

Anonymous

worth noting that bigun (IIRC) has the new 03 model and you have the pre 03 and again, IIRC, i think they have slightly different engines.

Anonymous

I've not had this even looked at yet mate, i am booking it in for the week after the 13th which is wen i go back to uni (taking second car G-Reg Transit) so i can live without the '2' for a while.

The problem doesn't occur all the time but it is getting more frequent.

I also get a high pitched screaming noise coming from the engine at about 6000RPM on a coldish day.........Do you get this?

Anonymous

Kris - that is 100% correct, i also have the TTE 'Zorst if that makes any difference?

Anonymous

Quote from: "John Woodward"What IS the oil capacity of engine?

It's 3.8 litres and costs £16 from Toyota.

Anonymous

Quote from: "Emmanuel"
Quote from: "John Woodward"What IS the oil capacity of engine?

It's 3.8 litres and costs £16 from Toyota.
£16?!  And the rest!

If you got your oil from Toyota for £16, well done!

--H--

Anonymous

Quote from: "Hardcore"
Quote from: "Emmanuel"It's 3.8 litres and costs £16 from Toyota.
£16?!  And the rest!

If you got your oil from Toyota for £16, well done!

--H--

That's what says on the receipt...

Tags: