which air filter?

Started by Anonymous, November 24, 2005, 22:47

Anonymous

where can i get a TRD drop in air filter? do these sound good?

also, from what i hear on here intakes only affect the sound the engine makes rather than any performance increase, so in that case, whats the difference between the different ones you can get? might aswell go for the cheapest surely? or am i wrong?

just found this:

m http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/K-N-Air-Filter-To ... dZViewItem m

is that one any good? i've read on here about oiled ones and non oiled ones, whats the difference?

Tem

Quote from: "razorsharp192"might aswell go for the cheapest surely? or am i wrong?

Just remember that the air filter is supposed to filter air. Now guess if the cheapest ones are any good at that?

Doesn't matter if you want all the crap in the air in your engine though  s;) ;) s;)
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

k&n or trd then? (or Pipercross, there's one on here for sale) which is best? which sounds best? whats the difference between them? and whats this about oiled and non oiled ones?

kanujunkie

for best sound go Apexi power intake, its a cone air filter though
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

Anonymous

Quoteits a cone filter though

what different does that make?

kanujunkie

not a lot to be honest, you have a small amount of pipework to fit it and of course remove the stock airbox, but the sound difference is awsome, really grumbly. Totally worth it if you want a nice sound to your 2
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

where can i get an apexi thing then? and how much is one?

also, whats the difference between the apexi, trd, k&n and pipercross ones? i dont want the car to sound like the exhaust has a hole in it, just want it to sound a bit beefyer

just been reading some other threads, saying that most induction kits actually decrease power!  in that case am i better just getting a drop in filter to replace the original? if so, which one?

roger

IMO filters like the Apexi actually decrease power, especially on hot days, because they pull in hot air from the engine compartment, rather than getting cold air through the side vents as the normal box does. However if all you want is noise, then its the cheapest option.

However if you ever get to gut your cats and fit an after market exhaust the noise might be too much   s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I have gutted cats, TRD filter, Markiii inlet pipe and H&S exhaust and I think it all sounds brilliant. Quiet on idle or low steady revs, slight burble / pop on over-run, and deep throaty roar that rumbles your insides on full throttle, or when revs are high.

As to oiled, or not. Oiled will last "for ever", you have to clean and re-oil them about every 30K, or the latest TRD advertises as never re-oil. The ordinary need changing every 2 years (or maybe even 1).

The oil is suppossed to be better at picking up contaminents better than paper (or whatever).

TRD can be bought from MRS-passion.

Hope that helps.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

Anonymous

The good ol' argument of air intakes.  There are no performance gains to speak of so just pick the one that sounds good to you and does filter the air...

In my opinion, you'd better buy a quality item (such as the Apexi as suggested) or you might regret it later.  E-bay and Japanparts are good places to start.

kanujunkie

Quote from: "roger"However if all you want is noise, then its the cheapest option.

eeeerrrr at over £100 for the Apexi vs $106 for the TRD panel it aint the cheaper option Roger
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "roger"However if all you want is noise, then its the cheapest option.

eeeerrrr at over £100 for the Apexi vs $106 for the TRD panel it aint the cheaper option Roger

Yeh, but you get more noise IMO. On its own the TRD gives you a bit, but nothing like the Apexi I 've heard on others. To get the Apexi noise without using it, you've got to add the inlet pipe or H&S/TTE (for example)
Roger

Anonymous

Quote from: "roger"IMO filters like the Apexi actually decrease power, especially on hot days, because they pull in hot air from the engine compartment, rather than getting cold air through the side vents as the normal box does.

so in that case am i better off just getting a trd or k&n drop in filter that replaces the original? if so, which is better? for sound etc

kanujunkie

basically if you want power, then get TRD with a inlet duct but thats only going to give you 1-2Bhp. If you want noise and no power then go with the Apexi
[size=100]Stu[/size]

Anonymous

not bothered about more power, just dont want less power! what difference would the trd/k&n filter make on its own? without messing about with pipes

kanujunkie

cant say never run either, but i would say that after 2 years of running an Apexi i dont agree with Roger coments of looseing power with the Apexi, i lost the same amount of power in hot weather with the stock intake as i do now and thats pretty negligable
[size=100]Stu[/size]

roger

Quote from: "kanujunkie"cant say never run either, but i would say that after 2 years of running an Apexi i dont agree with Roger coments of looseing power with the Apexi, i lost the same amount of power in hot weather with the stock intake as i do now and thats pretty negligable

I've never had an Apexi, only quoting what I've heard which sounds reasonable. TBH I've never really felt a loss of power in hot weather, but the engine doesn't sound quite as crisp and "nice" as it does if  its cold.

All i am saying is the air in the engine compartment is warmer than ambient (whatever that is), and perceived wisdom I've picked up is the engines work better on cooler air.
Roger

roger

Quote from: "razorsharp192"not bothered about more power, just dont want less power! what difference would the trd/k&n filter make on its own? without messing about with pipes

Power wise, negligible. There is a theory because the air runs better you get more power. Same applies to Apexi.

Certainly TRD/K&N won't give you less. Add the Markiii inlet pipe and you will get a little more, but we are still only talking about hypothetical small amounts around 1 BHP for example.
Roger

roger

<double post>
Roger

kanujunkie

just for info the markiii inlet pipe is identical to the TRD one just pm markiii for details
[size=100]Stu[/size]

leon_in_uk

what about pipercross, gains etc.?
For sale: 3.5 v6 Nissan murano
Previous:
BMW z4 3.0
Seat leon cupra mk2
Porsche Boxster 987, lapis blue, leather heated seats, xenons,, twin pipe...
SOLD:
bmw z4 2.0 sport
Silver MR-2, newish engine, clutch new alternator. Gutted Pre Cats..... MODS.....
HKS exhaust. markiii pipe, Anthracite Alloys. Red Calipers with Spyder decals. . Lowered 40mm. 03 vents, chrome jet washers lol... and my helpful Road Angel \":)\"

Anonymous

what if i just got the filter though? i can get the k&n one for £40, how much is the trd one? and whats the difference between the 2?

roger

Quote from: "razorsharp192"what if i just got the filter though?

i can get the k&n one for £40, how much is the trd one?

and whats the difference between the 2?

Slightly better sound, longer filter life, might get a minimal power increase. IMO thats it.  

TRD is 88Euro retail from dieamond at MRS-passion + shipping. Have to do a Google to see if you can get it cheaper. Sometimes go for sale here  or on e-bay.

Very little as far as I am aware, but never seen a K&N.
Roger

Liz

Just get an A'PEXi, my Mr T dealer fitted mine for me if you are worried about doing it yourself - can't beat the sucky sound!   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Anonymous

where can i get an apexi one for and how much are they?

kanujunkie

[size=100]Stu[/size]

Tags: