which air filter?

Started by Anonymous, November 24, 2005, 22:47

Anonymous

what would the "Element filter for std airbox" be like compared?

Tem

Quote from: "razorsharp192"what would the "Element filter for std airbox" be like compared?

They are the ones that fit the stock airbox, here's few:
 m http://www.spydermagazine.com/2001/Sept ... ilters.htm m
Sure you can live without 500hp, but it\'s languishing.

Anonymous

i meant, what would that be like (sound etc) compared to the cone one?

is there a site where someone has compared filters, performance, sound etc wise?

Tem

Quote from: "razorsharp192"i meant, what would that be like (sound etc) compared to the cone one?

Cones make more noise  s8) 8) s8)

Quoteis there a site where someone has compared filters, performance, sound etc wise?

There's this one:
 m http://www.mkiv.com/techarticles/filter ... index.html m

I think you should always remember that the filters first and most important job is to filter. After that comes the noise and performance...but since Apexi filters best and made the most power in that best, not to mention it sounds great, there's really not much to think about, is there  s;) ;) s;)

Anonymous

ok, apexi it is, but drop in filter or cone? which is best? differences etc?

kanujunkie

Quote from: "razorsharp192"ok, apexi it is, but drop in filter or cone? which is best? differences etc?

Apexi is a cone filter, not a drop in
[size=100]Stu[/size]
[size=80]rip - C2 chargecooled roadster
now Subaru Impreza WRX STi with PPP
ex committee 2004-2009[/size]

BenF

Very short answer ...

A cone filter will make more noise, but probably loose bhp as you're drawing in hot air from the engine bay. I've got a K&N setup on mine at the moment, and I have seen intake temps (from the OBD-II) of 40-45C in stationary summer traffic.

A panel filter will still have all the standard intake plumbing and therefore will be a lot quieter - as that's how Toyota have engineered it.

So -

Cone: Sounds good, costs a couple of bhp due to hot air being drawn in, Apexi best filtering (generally)
Panel replacement: Probably best real world power gains, quiet.

FWIW - I cleaned the K&J intake on mine after the turbo kit went on. Martin probably hadn't ever cleaned the filter, judging by the state of it (although they do say they don't need cleaning). After fitting the turbo, the car was producing 198bhp - 20 bhp less than Martin's. (?)

I got the car home, I noticed the air filter was in need of a clean. Cleaning using "Woolite" it took an incredible 8 changes of water before the water washed through it wasn't black. It had really held an amazing amount of dirt in the oiled fabric  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  I suspected it was actually restricting the car breathing.

After re-oiling it and putting it back on the car, I then took it for another RR session and it got the full 220bhp - where it was expected to be - and it ceratinly felt a lot quicker.
Chargecooled PE Turbo, Unichip, TRD Front brace, Corky's Breastplate, Tein SS springs.

mph

Quote from: "BenF"Martin probably hadn't ever cleaned the filter, judging by the state of it (although they do say they don't need cleaning). After fitting the turbo, the car was producing 198bhp - 20 bhp less than Martin's.
Oy! Yes I had cleaned the K&N filter, twice in fact! FYI: I had always intended to fit the A'PEXi filter [which is a 'dry' filter that you don't oil] but never got around to making up an adaptor plate.
[size=92]Martin[/size][size=75]
'06 Black MR2 Roadster
'03 Red Lotus Elise 111S
'01 Black MR2 Roadster SMT turbo[/size]

Anonymous

Quote from: "kanujunkie"
Quote from: "razorsharp192"ok, apexi it is, but drop in filter or cone? which is best? differences etc?

Apexi is a cone filter, not a drop in

there is an apexi drop in filter aswell though

Anonymous

like this one http://www.whifbitz.co.uk/mr2-airfilter.html
top item

this could be for the MK2 though, not sure

Anonymous

Quote from: "BenF"Cone: Sounds good, costs a couple of bhp due to hot air being drawn in, Apexi best filtering (generally)
Panel replacement: Probably best real world power gains, quiet.

so there's no point at all in buying a cone filter then   s:? :? s:?

Liz

Quote from: "razorsharp192"so there's no point at all in buying a cone filter then   s:? :? s:?

Yes if you want the noise factor!
ex-TTE Turbo, now Freelander Sport, its not a car its a Landrover!

Ivano

I have just my cone yesterday!!!
I fitted a AEM cold air induction kit cost me around $250 plus shipping and TAX!!   s8) 8) s8)  
Took me about 3hrs with some help...had to pull suspension brace off, rear lights and the bumper.  s:shock: :shock: s:shock:  
the cone sits in the  bumper just behind the rear left wheel so i reckon it doesn't really suck much hot air down there  s:? :? s:?   could be wrong...besides got some ideas to ensure more cold air gets in  s:) :) s:)  
BUT that been said the sound is the best spin off  s8) 8) s8)
Red 2001, TRD Circuit coilovers,TRD sportivo front and rear sway bars,TRD front and rear strut braces,17" black 5 spoke polished lip,,TRD short shifter,facelift air intakes,corkeys breastplate,Custom 68mm 304 stainless steel Exhaust Dual exit Pipes system, ceramic coated branches, internal antenna, custom Super \'M\' bonnet badge. 1MZ with ITB direct to head, Vipec v88 EMS, LSD, custom equal lenghth drivshafts.....now running and sounding very...very Mean!!!

Anonymous

Quote from: "Liz"
Quote from: "razorsharp192"so there's no point at all in buying a cone filter then   s:? :? s:?

if its purely for the noise factor wouldnt it be better to get a noisy exhaust tip and have a good drop in filter that wont reduce bhp? then you'd have the noise plus no reduction of power

LeeUK

My apexi doesn't lose me power, infact I keep it pretty cold with lots of halford ducting and reflective wrap.  Works well and the response is much better.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

Quote from: "LeeUK"My apexi doesn't lose me power, infact I keep it pretty cold with lots of halford ducting and reflective wrap.  Works well and the response is much better.

is it just me or does it seem a lot of effort for a bit of noise to anyone else? i could understand if it gave some extra power or something, but just for a bit of noise? and having to go to extra effort to keep it cold just so it keeps up (in performance terms) with the standard one. seems like madness

isnt there just a drop in filter (seens cone ones seem to be more of a pain than anything) then i can put in, that wont reduce bhp but will sound a bit better?

LeeUK

It was very little efford and very satisfying when it all comes together.  Well worth doing, sounds sweet, but if you want a drop in filter go for that.
[size=100]JELBE[/size]
MR2 Roadster 2zz Track/Racecar Project ......2% complete......

MR2ROC Go-Karting Champion 2005
[/color]

Anonymous

Quote from: "LeeUK"It was very little efford and very satisfying when it all comes together.  Well worth doing, sounds sweet, but if you want a drop in filter go for that.

i'm not slagging it off, dont get me wrong  s:) :) s:)

what difference would a k&n/trd drop in filter make compared to the standard one? would it be worth doing?

Tem

Quote from: "razorsharp192"
Quote from: "Liz"

if its purely for the noise factor wouldnt it be better to get a noisy exhaust tip and have a good drop in filter that wont reduce bhp? then you'd have the noise plus no reduction of power

There's noise and there's noise. Obviously you won't get the lovely intake noise from noisy exhaust.

...there's hardly any mod that's really worth the price, so don't spend too much time thinking about them, just do it. You'll love it...  s:lol: :lol: s:lol:

roger

Quote from: "razorsharp192"what difference would a k&n/trd drop in filter make compared to the standard one? would it be worth doing?

Are we going round in circles here?

More cost, longer life, bit more noise, possibly a bit more power. And, no, I don't know how much.

Is it worth doing? If you want to customise your car its just one of the many options open to you. If its the only thing you are ever likely to do, don't bother spending the money.

Oh and by the way, it hasn't happened to me but has to other(s), but make VERY certain when you take your car in for a service some grease monkey doesn't throw it away and replace it with a standard one.
Roger

EX: \'04 Sable + PE Turbo and many other things
NOW: MR2 on steroids - \'12 Merc SLK200 AMG125

Use Spydersearch if you are stuck for information. Please.
Check my fuel consumption

roger

Just been cruising on an US site, and they were discussing TRD / K&N drop in filters (not for MR2 by the way).

One guy said, definitely makes the car go faster, because your wallet is lighter.

s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:    s:lol: :lol: s:lol:  

There were other (unconfirmed) comments, like over oiling makes your MAF dirty, oil gets sucked into air intakes, don't use in a dusty environment because they are undersized, no better than the paper ones.
Roger

Tem

Quote from: "roger"There were other (unconfirmed) comments, like over oiling makes your MAF dirty, oil gets sucked into air intakes, don't use in a dusty environment because they are undersized, no better than the paper ones.

All true. Except there are dry models these days, like the Apexi, which obviously can't make anything oily.

Also, we get oil sucked into air intakes all the time through PCV, so the little that might come from over oiled filter isn't an issue at all.

They are actually worse in filtering, but unless you do all your driving on dusty roads, it won't make a difference during your engines lifetime. Assuming you use a good filter in the first place, the worst ones are really sucky.

aaronjb

Quote from: "Tem"All true. Except there are dry models these days, like the Apexi, which obviously can't make anything oily.

Unless you leave your oil filler cap off, like me..  s:oops: :oops: s:oops:  But there's no accounting for stupidity  s;) ;) s;)
[size=85]2001 Vauxhall Omega 3.2V6 Elite / 2003 BMW M3 Convertible / Dax 427 (in build)
ex-2002 MR2 TopSecret Turbo Roadster[/size]

Tem

Found it...here's an old post from rec.autos.tech newsgroup.

QuoteArticle: 70381 of rec.autos.tech
> Could you please re-post the K&N report with carriage returns? My news-
> reader makes each paragraph look like one line, and I can't read most
> of the post. Thanks!
> -William

Here it is again.  Hope you can read this one.

Subj:  K & N filters                    
  To:  John M.  Saturday, January 21, 1995 5:14:10 PM

John:  If I wrote "subjective" I meant "objective"..  I was
responsible for evaluating re-usable air filters
for a major construction/mining company that had
hundreds of vehicles ranging from large earthmovers
to pick-up trucks and salesmen's cars.  This study
was embarked upon due to the fact that we were
spending upwards of $30,000 a MONTH on paper air
filters.  Using them one time then throwing them
away..  I inititated the study in that I was convinced
that a K&N type filter or oiled foam would save us
many dollars per year in filter savings, man hour savings,
and of course engines as these would filter
dirt better than paper. (yes, I had read the K&N ads and was
a believer)

Representative test units were chosen to give us a
broad spectrum from cars right through large front
end loaders.  With each unit we had a long history
of oil analysis records so that changes would be
trackable.

Unfortunately, for me, every single unit having
alternative re-usable air cleaners showed an immediate
large jump in silicon (dirt) levels with corresponding
major increases in wear metals.  In one extreme
case, a  unit with a primary and secondary air cleaner,
the secondary (small paper element) clogged
before even one day's test  run could be completed.
This particular unit had a Cummins V-12 engine
that had paper/paper one one bank and K&N/paper on
the other bank; two completely independent
induction systems.  The conditions were EXACTLY
duplicated for each bank yet the K&N allowed so
much dirt to pass through that the small filter became
clogged before lunch.  The same outcome occured  
with oiled foams on this unit.

We discontinued the tests on the large pieces almost
immediately but continued with service trucks,
formen's vehicles, and my own company car. Analysis
results continued showing markedly increased
wear rates for all the vehicles, mine included.  
Test concluded, switched back to paper/glass and all
vehicles showed reduction back to near original levels
of both wear metals and dirt.  I continued with
the K&N on my company car out of stubborness and at
85,000 miles the Chevy 305 V-8 wheezed its
last breath.  The top end was sanded badly; bottom
end was just fine.  End of test.

I must stress that EVERYONE involved in this test
was hoping that alternative filters would work as
everyone was sick about pulling out a perfectly good
$85 air cleaner and throwing 4 of them away
each week per machine...  

So, I strongly suggest that depending upon an
individual's long term plan for their vehicles they simply
run an oil analysis at least once to see that the
K&N or whatever alternative air filter is indeed working
IN THAT APPLICATION...  It depends on a person's priorities.
If you want performance then indeed the K&N is the
way to go but at what cost???

And no, I do not work for a paper or glass air
filter manufacturing company nor do I have any affiliation
with anything directly or indirectly that could
benefit George Morrison as a result..

roger

Well, there you go then. It would appear oiled filters don't give the same engine protection as standard paper ones..........

unless someone knows better.   s:wink: :wink: s:wink:  

Is there any K&N or TRD write up that proves differently?
Roger

Tags: